It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Today Anchor Resigns, Admits To Spreading 'Lies' For Putin

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: Indigo5
The result is sometimes biased, but rarely outright fabricated news.

The intense bias of some organizations does cause subtle fabrications…

Fox News retracts fabricated Obama quote

Fox News Caught Fabricating Boos For Ron Paul at CPAC

NBC News Apologizes for ‘Error’ in Editing of Trayvon Martin Story

There's a lot more to find through Google.
But it's clear these are sensationalizations intended to either get more viewers, or solidify existing viewers.

I would contend those very headlines you cited proves my argument. Western Media, is driven by capitalistic motivations which result in bias...and occasional fabrications or more often conveniently, irresponsibly vetted "news"...BUT those same capitalistic forces result in the media policing itself through competitive forces...otherwise you wouldn't have had the headlines above to post.

And no retractions or apologies..etc.

That self policing is virtually NON-EXISTANT in State Run media where any dissent, critique or "calling out" by competitive journalists are met with state sponsored threats, violence, arrest or murder.

The very fact that you can quickly cite Western Media headlines where Western Media got it wrong highlights the critical difference IMO.
edit on 4-8-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
And just to be clear...I have a world of issue with the current state of Western News Media...and post often about the horrific state of modern journalism, but I am also not a binary thinker incapable of complex thought. Western Media is diseased with capitalistic driven bias, but remains "news". State run "News Media" is a government construction posing as news and lacks the foundational open market of criticism or self policing that would expose it as a construction of the State.

This argument is much like debating the difference between a wild deer and a backyard statue of a deer. They are identical in appearance, but different in every way that matters to being a deer....and just because they both stand still at times does not make them the same.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
I would contend those very headlines you cited proves my argument. Western Media, is driven by capitalistic motivations which result in bias…

Yes. That was my point with those examples… and my position in general.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

We agree..And are both fortunately (or unfortunately) old enough to remember a different time in broadcast journalism...when the nightly news was a "loss lead-in" and everyone was OK with that.

Twenty years ago, there was no network news “business.” The Big Three broadcast television networks—ABC, CBS and NBC—all covered news, but none generally made money doing so. Nor did they expect to turn a profit from news programming. They presented news programming for the prestige it would bring to their network, to satisfy the public-service requirements of …given the current economic climate, how best can journalists respond to these corporate, societal and technological changes and preserve the quality and integrity of news?Congress and the Federal Communications Commission, and more broadly so that they would be seen as good corporate citizens.

Back then, the networks earned enough money from entertainment programming that they could afford to run their news operations at a loss. And so they did. Former CBS correspondent Marvin Kalb recalls Owner and Chairman William Paley instructing news reporters at a meeting in the early 1960’s that they shouldn’t be concerned about costs. “I have Jack Benny to make money,” he told them.

www.nieman.harvard.edu...

Once you begin to "sell" the news for profit...everything that threatens journalistic integrity follows.

For my part I retreat to NPR..which still demonstrates bias on occasion, but a more organic from of liberal leaning journalism trying to hold the center line vs. unabashed profit driven bias.

Even then objectivity and truth today is never offered in a complete package, but on the up side the mass amount of different "news" outlets afford for multiple, perspectives, sources, assemblies of data that can be researched to discern a more accurate picture than one source....but honestly, who does the research? I actually enjoy ATS cuz it gets me fired up on a topic and drives me to research the news and get a more informed perspective than a single source or headline....but again, we are in the minority and more people eat fast food than cook their own meals....which of course is how McDonalds, Fox News and MSNBC et al make their money. Doesn't make it good for you though

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

War is a strange animal. Reporting about war is difficult and almost always biased. The narrow nationalism, government control etc. are reflected strongly in war reporting.

You people assume it is Russia alone that is shaping news to its viewpoint. This is completely untrue. All western governments are guilty of control on news outlets in one form or the other. This control always become extreme in case of war reporting.

The Kiev government is no saint. It is using all the horrible methods that you accuse Russia of.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: GargIndia

War is a strange animal. Reporting about war is difficult and almost always biased. The narrow nationalism, government control etc. are reflected strongly in war reporting.

This is moving to high altitude generalities, not specifics about facts and evidence, which is what we are discussing...I don't disagree with what you are saying, but it is distant from what is relevant to this discussion IMO.

You people assume it is Russia alone that is shaping news to its viewpoint.

I assume no such thing.

All western governments are guilty of control on news outlets in one form or the other. This control always become extreme in case of war reporting.

Western governments, or specifically the USA, may attempt to influence war reporting to varying degrees of success, but never succeeds in iron-fisted control of the reporting like State Run Media, or specifically Russia, does. War crimes and misdeeds by both troops and our government perpetually make headlines here in the USA.

The Kiev government is no saint. It is using all the horrible methods that you accuse Russia of.

No one is claiming the Kiev government is a "Saint"...what you propose is a binary logical fallacy...Either the Kiev government is a "Saint" or they are as reprehensible as the Russian government.

It's a false choice, illogical and dishonest thinking.

The Kiev government is not a "Saint"...they aggressively spin their reporting...but Western Reporting does not ape Kiev reporting and even Kiev reporting is more accurate that the Russian Owned Propaganda outlets.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Vovin

I'm Canadian. 9/11 happened and all channels on TV were tear jerking propaganda of the heroes who died in the buildings at the hands of evil terrorists. 2003 I watched Colin Powell cry about Iraqi WMD ready to strike the American homeland in 45 minutes, and Bush declaring victory about a naval carrier was also broadcast as breaking news.

So your saying those who died in 9/11 was all propaganda...Seriously?

You understand those people only went to work that day not expecting a plane, but never thinking two planes would end their existence on this Earth.

You can compare Powell to any event you want, but at least show some respect to those innocent victims of that day.

So don't give me your crap about Russian propaganda distorting western minds.

The truth does sting a bit doesn't it?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: GargIndia

Really...Kiev is making up genocide stories about Russia, somewhat like the way RT did about Ukraine?

khpg.org...

Care to provide a sample of one of those stories from Kiev?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: GargIndia

Really...Kiev is making up genocide stories about Russia, somewhat like the way RT did about Ukraine?

khpg.org...

Care to provide a sample of one of those stories from Kiev?

No havnt seen Ukraine make those claims though they are reporting mass graves being found in the regions formerly occupied by the separatists. Apparently they were good at making people disappear but only temporarily.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: Vovin

I'm Canadian. 9/11 happened and all channels on TV were tear jerking propaganda of the heroes who died in the buildings at the hands of evil terrorists. 2003 I watched Colin Powell cry about Iraqi WMD ready to strike the American homeland in 45 minutes, and Bush declaring victory about a naval carrier was also broadcast as breaking news.

So your saying those who died in 9/11 was all propaganda...Seriously?

You understand those people only went to work that day not expecting a plane, but never thinking two planes would end their existence on this Earth.

You can compare Powell to any event you want, but at least show some respect to those innocent victims of that day.

So don't give me your crap about Russian propaganda distorting western minds.

The truth does sting a bit doesn't it?

Do you enjoy making up complete BS? Where did I say that people dying on 9/11 was propaganda? I realize your propensity to kiss ass of the anti-Russian owners of this messageboard but don't be making up statements and cramming them down my throat in some pathetic attempt at nationalist fervour.

It's quite clear that you are trying to troll me, again, twisting my words around. How you cannot understand the context of my post or understand the major western media fabrications that I described, is simply beyond me. Maybe their really is an "Iron Curtain" of propaganda surrounding Americans.
edit on 6-8-2014 by Vovin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Jeeze what about Iraq WMDs or 911, or Benghazi, or Syrian Chem weapon attacks ad infinitum....
Mr Overlord if you believe you are being fed the truth by western media but not Russian media....think again....
Truth to tell we are being socially engineered and programmed by both kinds of propaganda or bias....
RT was never a totally trusted source...but likewise the networks here too.....they all push their agendas....
What we need is an all volunteer all individual reportage of the local events in everyones neighbourhood....kinda like ATS really....just a bit more formal...

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Jeeze what about Iraq WMDs or 911, or Benghazi, or Syrian Chem weapon attacks ad infinitum....
Mr Overlord if you believe you are being fed the truth by western media but not Russian media....think again....
Truth to tell we are being socially engineered and programmed by both kinds of propaganda or bias....
RT was never a totally trusted source...but likewise the networks here too.....they all push their agendas....
What we need is an all volunteer all individual reportage of the local events in everyones neighbourhood....kinda like ATS really....just a bit more formal...

You do realize in a debate attempting to use deflection by bringing up other topics just shows the weakness in your own argument dont you? If you have to bring up other conspiracies to attempt to disprove something than you might want to look at your facts and reevaluate the situation. This message board is full of skeptics on every topic imaginable and do not fall for propaganda easily. And yes look around the US government is regularly called out for their actions i might suggest taking a lesson from that and reexamine what Russia has been telling you. There is no douvt Putin is manipulating the Russian media you might want to start asking yourself why??

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join