It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pascal's Wagner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Pascal's original formulation of the wager was written down as a fairly short paragraph in Pensées amongst several other notes that could be considered "wagers".[1] Its argument is rooted in game theory and that the best course of action is to believe in God regardless of any lack of evidence, because that option gives the biggest potential gains. Pascal's original text is long-winded and somewhat convoluted philosophy-speak,[2] but it can be distilled more simply:
If you believe in God and God does exist, you will be rewarded with eternal life in heaven: thus an infinite gain.
If you do not believe in God and God does exist, you will be condemned to remain in hell forever: thus an infinite loss.
If you believe in God and God does not exist, you will not be rewarded: thus a finite loss.
If you do not believe in God and God does not exist, you will not be rewarded, but you have lived your own life: thus a finite gain.
The gains and losses associated to outcomes 3 and 4 can be thought of as the opportunity costs of feigning belief and living in accordance with religious norms, since these are typically more restrictive than secular laws. These costs are finite because of human mortality. Mathematically, a finite gain or loss is negligible compared to an infinite gain or loss as would be incurred during an eternal afterlife. Therefore, Pascal concluded that it was a much better choice to believe in God rather than not. The Wager can also be seen in table form and it becomes clear that belief gives you a reward or (practically) nothing, while disbelief gives you punishment or nothing:
rationalwiki.org...'s_wager

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBlueShiroux

How is "eternity" a reward?

Since we're quoting game theories here, I'm going to quote movies ... but even movies take their remarks from philosophic arguments.

Man of Steel: "You don't have the guts to kill us yourself, so you send us to rot for eternity in the phantom zone"

How did Acchiles put it, in the movie troy: "Because you exist in this moment only, make you never more beautiful as now. And the GODS envy you for that".

And how did they put it, in the movie "Death becomes her": "Take good care of this body, because you are going to live with it for a very long time".

Eternity is not a reward, it's a punishment ... and this is where Pascal's wager is wrong. Pascal assumes a reward, but does not consider the consequences of achieving this reward. But those consequences have been contemplated in countless papers, and are revealed to you in countless movies ... if you just open up your eyes, to look.

The only perfect "Heaven", is a heaven of animals with a blank stare and blind obedience.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Heh, believing in god because you're a "gambler".

I don't think anyone who would be convinced to believe by this truly believes in a capacity that would get him or her admitted to heaven. If you're doing it for the brownie points, I don't care what you're doing, you're still an asshole.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBlueShiroux

Maybe regardless of whether or not you believe in God...

You will get what's coming to you... so try not to screw up too badly...

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
personally I prefer Wagners " The Ring of the Nibelung"but it ends badly for Brünnhilde ...

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
the problem with pascals wager - is that you have to pick the CORRECT alledged god that turns out to be real

every religious zealot will scream at you " mine is the one true god " - but none give any credible evidence for the claims

so unless you already assume an aledged god is real [ in which case the principle of pascals wager is redundant ] - then you it doesn't actualy help

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Ah geez

How does anyone in 2014 take Pascal's wager seriously?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Rex282

I am a Tristan and Isolde fan myself. The way that famous chord finally corrects itself at the end is the epitome of genius. Pascal's Wagner on the other hand—I wasn't aware that there was one.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

I don't take it seriously. It's an interesting topic, that's why I posted it on here.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBlueShiroux
a reply to: Prezbo369

I don't take it seriously. It's an interesting topic, that's why I posted it on here.

It was very hard to tell why you posted anything due to the lack of content in your OP.

The wager fails as soon as you ask Pascal 'which God?'.

new topics

top topics

join