It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap, highly efficient solar cells: A new stable and cost-cutting type of perovskite solar cell

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese You are full of negativity on the subject. So many non starters in one post. First of all if installed correctly the system as a whole will last over twenty yrs. You speak of being blindly looking to the future as if that is not what has been happening for a very long time and is coming back to bite us. Fossil fuel usage can be cut down to virtually nothing and the reprecussions of making solar panals is very small compared to another twenty yrs of doing nothing. As far as batteries go you are just wrong there again. There are types of batteries that require little maintance but will keep on working and they have been used ever since we have had telephones and are in every town around. just keep digging for reasons to destroy your own planet and you will keep finding them reasons. We have the technology to change the world but the bs that is put out by some just keeps everyone in their ruts.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: pl3bscheese You are full of negativity on the subject. So many non starters in one post. First of all if installed correctly the system as a whole will last over twenty yrs.

I challenge you to show me a solar system with batteries that will last 20 years. There is no battery technology that will last so many cycles, which doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

You speak of being blindly looking to the future as if that is not what has been happening for a very long time and is coming back to bite us. Fossil fuel usage can be cut down to virtually nothing and the reprecussions of making solar panals is very small compared to another twenty yrs of doing nothing.

Not a chance in hell. Industrial civilization runs on oil, regardless of our use of petroleum for energy. If you think we've got enough raw materials to replace plastic, and every other use of petroleum, you are simply clueless.

As far as batteries go you are just wrong there again. There are types of batteries that require little maintance but will keep on working and they have been used ever since we have had telephones and are in every town around. just keep digging for reasons to destroy your own planet and you will keep finding them reasons. We have the technology to change the world but the bs that is put out by some just keeps everyone in their ruts.

The challenge remains. Show me a battery which is cost effective that will last so many cycles. If you're talking 20 years, well that's over 7,300 cycles. Go for it!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

A more simple time?

Yeah because dying of a SPLINTER was ****iNG AWESOME!!!

Double digit infant mortality rates...

Death in child birth a regular occurrence...

Chronic malnutrition ....

That's just the 3 second list... people that say stuff lie this are inevitably the type of people who also talk about combat before guns being more honorable and romantic... otherwise known as MORONS who watch too much TV about the "good old times" and get their meat from a grocery store.

Truth be told the old times were dirty violent and ****ED UP!! Oh and just FYI kiss egalitarianism friggin goodbye because he who's willing to TAKE will have yours.

How about this instead? How about people grow the hell up and see we've got a parasite class that even with the exponential advances in human productivity has progressively taken more and more of a massive and always increasing human productivity for themselves leaving about 2 to 5% of EVERYTHING PRODUCED to support 98% of the population! Because really much of what is touted as "progress" like globalism is really just massive theft.

How about personal responsibility? What about working towards increased self sufficiency? What about just pulling your head out and realizing every time a dollar gets taken from your local economy by some national government hundreds of miles or km away only for in theory most of that money to be earmarked back into the local economy... at BEST you will get back about 60 cents! (Really usually it's much much worse than that with you being LUCKY to et 25 cents back on every dollar). Oh and how about this... when someone advocates dismantling the current currency/banking system don't ask whose going to loan me money if there's no banks? Hint: a large part of the shrinkage from local economies sending a dollar to be given a quarter is the privately held central banks taking their piece for.... allowing you to use money you'd already have if it wasn't stolen previously to make more money of which you'll need to somehow find a way to double the value of an item somehow in order to keep a 15% profit which you'll pay around a third of to your government who gives like 30% of THAT MONEY to the same people you've already paid at every damn step as has EVERY OTHER PERSON whose hands something passes through in the journey from raw resource to finished good.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

As a whole, when was the last time we learned from our mistakes? We keep making them and with TPTB we will never move forward in the direction that we need to & the direction you are talking about.

That's what technology is. We don't embrace the mistakes, just the successes. As far as history goes, we don't collectively learn, because our insanity is a means to control the majority.

If the people who are involved in the shadow banking system were to be able to leave the Earth & go off to find a new place to inhabit, do you really think they will be taking the poor people? Or is it more possible that only the best, brightest & richest will be going while the rest of us are left on Earth? I think it will be the latter.

It's not even a question, it would of course be the latter. We just went over the majority not learning, being insane, and easily controlled as energy to be harvested by the elite. Why would anyone bother to bring that to the stars? We're becoming far beyond the need to have grunts doing remedial tasks. It just doesn't make any sense.
edit on 19-7-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese Your are full of it. You challenge for a battery that will last that long then you double down by changing it to a cost effective one. Make up your mind. My post stated that we do have batteries that will last but are not maintance free. As far as cost they will be more because the parts are changable and they last longer. You know good and well that we have driven the demand for single use batteries but there is the tech out there and thoughts like yours keep it out of the reach of everyone. There is no reason why we have to keep up this way of life accept for your unreasonable mind along with others. I challenge you to just take a step back and put your reasoning skills to good use. You must start from the thought that anything is possible and it is only our stubborn ways that make things not work.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: roguetechie

A more simple time?

Yeah because dying of a SPLINTER was ****iNG AWESOME!!!

That's just the 3 second list... people that say stuff lie this are inevitably the type of people who also talk about combat before guns being more honorable and romantic... otherwise known as MORONS who watch too much TV about the "good old times" and get their meat from a grocery store.

Truth be told the old times were dirty violent and ****ED UP!! Oh and just FYI kiss egalitarianism friggin goodbye because he who's willing to TAKE will have yours.

How about this instead? How about people grow the hell up and see we've got a parasite class that even with the exponential advances in human productivity has progressively taken more and more of a massive and always increasing human productivity for themselves leaving about 2 to 5% of EVERYTHING PRODUCED to support 98% of the population! Because really much of what is touted as "progress" like globalism is really just massive theft.

How about personal responsibility? What about working towards increased self sufficiency? What about just pulling your head out and realizing every time a dollar gets taken from your local economy by some national government hundreds of miles or km away only for in theory most of that money to be earmarked back into the local economy... at BEST you will get back about 60 cents! (Really usually it's much much worse than that with you being LUCKY to et 25 cents back on every dollar). Oh and how about this... when someone advocates dismantling the current currency/banking system don't ask whose going to loan me money if there's no banks? Hint: a large part of the shrinkage from local economies sending a dollar to be given a quarter is the privately held central banks taking their piece for.... allowing you to use money you'd already have if it wasn't stolen previously to make more money of which you'll need to somehow find a way to double the value of an item somehow in order to keep a 15% profit which you'll pay around a third of to your government who gives like 30% of THAT MONEY to the same people you've already paid at every damn step as has EVERY OTHER PERSON whose hands something passes through in the journey from raw resource to finished good.

Well aren't you an angry assumptious person.

Just because I am suggesting a more simple time doesn't mean that we have to give up on medicine. Yeesh.

Even before I came on ATS I would never have taken out a loan but that was because I learned about interest rates in high school and even back then they seemed stupid & that you would forever be paying off only the interest. My Mom also further backed that up with her credit cards & how she was only ever able to pay off the interest and never more than that.

As for buying locally, I already do that thanks. The local products in my area are better quality than any big conglomerate or other corporate company.

Truth be told the old times were dirty violent and ****ED UP!!
Like right now is any better? It's still dirty, violent & messed up. I heard that there are places in the U.S where they don't have running water & indoor plumbing.

Just because I'm talking about a more simple time doesn't mean I am meaning how things were in the past. The past is the past. I'm talking about Aquaponic/hydroponic food farms, I'm talking about working a job that you are truly happy to do because the basics like food, water, shelter are free. I'm talking about communities that actually look out for each other instead of fending for yourself. I'm talking about free education and proper education, where each child is taught to their learning ability, not some cookie cutter nonsense that only works for some kids. That to me is a more simple time.

I don't have tv so I'm not getting my ideas from some silly shows, I'm getting my ideas from real life events & studies.

Last time I checked, those things are still happening(even though the first two are pretty much the same thing), sure not as much in North America but they are still happening globally. Who's the fool now?

Next time you want to get on your high horse and make assumptions about someone, shut up & actually ask questions instead.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

You see the post below this one?

It really wouldn't have taken you long to find SOMETHING to come back at me with.

Try to keep your cool longer on the boards.

edit on 19-7-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Batteries don't last 2-3 decades, and are still pretty expensive. Not all of the components will last 2-3 decades in a solar system. It was already mentioned the environmental damage involved in production of panels. You can't just wish away producing billions of solar panels to replace fossil fuels (which isn't even possible, anyways), and try to look blindly forward.

Here take a look at this
Organic battery hailed as a cheap renewable energy solution

A cheap rechargeable battery that harnesses energy by using the electrochemistry of organic molecules rather than metals is being touted by Harvard researchers as a breakthrough for renewable energy.

The Harvard team reports that the battery, which they say can be applied on a power-grid scale, uses naturally abundant and small organic compounds called quinones rather than electrocatalysts from costly precious metals such as platinum.

Quinones would be inexpensive to obtain and can be found in green plants or synthesized from crude oil. The battery designed by Harvard scientists and engineers used a quinone molecule that's almost identical to one that's found in rhubarb.

The technology is outlined in the Jan. 9 edition of the journal Nature.

Unlike solid-electrode batteries, flow batteries are recharged by two chemical components dissolved in fluids that are kept in separate tanks

The metal-free technology would bring the costs down to $27 per kilowatt-hour. Which is better than an estimated $700 per kilowatt-hour of storage capacity.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Nice link!

I'm all for it. Organic technologies are where we need to be heading. The recent news about Tesla LiOn factories was rather disappointing, speaking of a drop from $200 to $125 per kilowatt as a "breakthrough". $27 per kilowatt would be a game-changer, indeed!

Now, as long as this doesn't get squashed like all the other >20% efficiency solar panels, and if they can get it to market and scale up production within a decade or so... maybe, just maybe...

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Nice link!

I'm all for it. Organic technologies are where we need to be heading. The recent news about Tesla LiOn factories was rather disappointing, speaking of a drop from $200 to $125 per kilowatt as a "breakthrough". $27 per kilowatt would be a game-changer, indeed!

Now, as long as this doesn't get squashed like all the other >20% efficiency solar panels, and if they can get it to market and scale up production within a decade or so... maybe, just maybe...

Someone did make a thread about it on ATS. I can't recall if I first found the article on ATS or Science Daily.

It may get squashed for a time but that just means we have to fight harder for things to get better. We need to say "screw you corporations" "screw you pharmacare" and demand a change.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese lol you make light of a post that came after yours by editing out something and replacing it with a warning to me about thinking or researching before i post. That's classic. Every point you make has some irony in it.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Well at least you're back to laughing instead of mindlessly pouting and screaming.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese allrighty then. Perhaps you took my post in a manner that was not intended. Let me ask you what shape our electric needs would be in if every home had panels on the roof even without battery back up. Just that alone could offset our useage by leaps and bounds and like i said the panels last long time and are cheap. Heck you could even have batteries at intervels in neighborhoods to harvest the peak hours and be maintained by the electric companies. The glass becomes exciting when you start to see it half full.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Take a look here:

Energy Consumption by Sector

Industry and transportation take the bulk of our energy needs.

Trying to go solar/electric with vehicles means batteries which have to meet many requirements. Cost, weight, size, affordability.

Putting solar panels on every roof would be a good start, but again, the cost in raw materials and energy to refine the materials needed to produce the panels makes it not so feasible with the current tech. Now, applying some sort of organic technology to solar panels, and having a leap like what we're seeing with the batteries, that would be ideal.

I'm back to my original assessment. The technology doesn't seem ready and available yet, even if some of this is being done in the labs. By the time it's ready to be scaled up, we'll be fairly well into energy decline. It's going to be a rough patch, at the very least. I honestly don't think we'll keep civilization going through the needed transition. Let's hope I'm wrong.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese You just can not help but to be negative. As soon as i offer any starting point you counter with a link to energy consumption. Just take it one step at a time. You go on and on about the building of panals and the impact but you are wrong over the long term. Any panel put to use for twenty yrs would greatly reduce the carbon impact of other conventional electric means.Industry could also benefit by using solar. as far as cars go there are several ways to reduce. We now have vehicles getting 50 mpg in style. My point is that if you jumble all this into one debate most will lose hop even though it is a better alternative.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Reason is not negation, I'm positing views that conflict with your stance. That's how a healthy debate works, except the other individual must be open to being proved incorrect. I've proven capable of this. Perhaps you should be willing to open yourself up to being incorrect as well.

Grid Parity

GOLDMAN: Solar Is On The Way To Dominating The Electricity Market, And The World Has Elon Musk To Thank

Goldman, and Elon, worth a read, no?

2033 to meet Grid Parity in the US without subsidies.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese There are also shill tactics that can be used to keep the truth from spreading and to keep progress from ever manifesting. I am not claiming that you are a shill but you have a certain quality that they love to employ upon many things. i will leave it up to the reader to decide if i am full of it or not. I am not above admiting mistakes of faults.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

You don't even know what a shill is. You're continuing to talk out your rear.

Shill

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

It's a cheap strawman argument to avoid having to engage in informed discussion.

"You disagree with me? You're clearly a paid shill!"

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Reading comprehension problems much? I clearly said i do not think you are a shill. The list just keeps getting longer. Face it the 20yr use and manufacture of a solar panel creates less fossil fuels that 20yrs of current energy means. bs it all you want
edit on 20-7-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join