It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Doom To Be Unveiled Tonight at 7PM EST !!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The original Doom was a revelation when I first played it all those years ago , fireball throwing monsters , chainsawing beasts in the face and the terror of meeting the Cacodemon for the first time as it entered the room to make you very dead , Doom occupies some of my favourite gaming moments.

After what seems like an eternity the next Doom is waiting in the wings to reclaim it's crown after the good but not great Doom 3 10 whole years ago , the next Doom will be unveiled tonight at 7PM EST at QuakeCon.

Here's the teaser trailer from this years E3 ... the sound of the door opening brings back fond memories

Fingers firmly crossed it will be as good as I hope it will be

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Is it really 10 years since Doom 3? Wow, I keep that loaded on a computer to play and The Dark Mod (Thief style port).

Can't wait for the latest version of Doom!

Derek

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Lets see if it can top the disappointment of the last Doom, surely no follow up they create can be worse than the last right?

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Keep us updated on the reveal, I'll probably be playing the Destiny beta on PS4 so I won't be around for it...

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jheated5

Knock on wood.

Look at what happened with Duke Nukem.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

Knock on wood.

Look at what happened with Duke Nukem.

Yeah seriously haha, good example! Look at Wolfenstein though.... Cross your fingers!

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I don't think Doom 3 was bad it just wasn't great , but then it did have big shoes to fill.
I'd like to see a reboot of the original Doom although I doubt that will happen , nothing could beat the fun of setting a room full of monsters against each other and watching the resulting fight in the original , the original Doom had atmosphere that Doom 3 just couldn't match, I hope they manage to recapture some of that.

edit on 17-7-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Custom DOOM WAD community is where it's at guys! No disappointment there.

Knee Deep in zDoom, Alien Vendetta, Kama Sutra, Doom Raider, Ultimate Torment & Torture, to name some of the great custom works.

Realm 667
Top 100 WADs of All Time
GZDoom
DOOM Builder
edit on 17-7-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

After I saw that teaser at E3 weeks ago, I fired up my ZDoom and started running through all the levels again. That game is still just as scary as when it first came out. Ahh, good times. Can't wait to see what they come up with this time.

I'd love for them to remake all the older levels, but with updated graphics. That would be sweetness.

edit on 17-7-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I am sure they will do a reboot eventually, that will be an ambitious project.. It's hard to recapture the magic those old games had and translate them back over to new gen style, I've seen companies do it though, so it's not out of reach completely.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5

Lets see if it can top the disappointment of the last Doom, surely no follow up they create can be worse than the last right?

That's a terrible question to ask. It can always be worse.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

The new doom needs to embrace it's Blade Runner feel roots.

Campy sci fi music with creepy environments and awesome game play.

I already know how they'll mess it up if they do.

Some beefstick main character with sub par story line and over use of action movie cliches. Coupled with generic game play that will be "okay" but nothing that sticks in your head for weeks.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

The new doom needs to embrace it's Blade Runner feel roots.

Campy sci fi music with creepy environments and awesome game play.

I already know how they'll mess it up if they do.

Some beefstick main character with sub par story line and over use of action movie cliches. Coupled with generic game play that will be "okay" but nothing that sticks in your head for weeks.

Yeah I hope it doesn't catch Call of Duty syndrome! It'll be DOA... I love when your fanbase lets you know what they're willing to purchase and what they would like to see, then the company does a complete 180 on them!

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The original doom was great due the game being the first of its kind and that's it. Atari was great too but the games of today blow it away. Doom three was far superior to the first doom because of the story, graphics and more interesting game play. I don't miss dos or Atari but I was happy to be present during the evolution of gaming.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

They go off of meta data and what "sells".

Can't blame them when the majority of "fans" buy up any action game with a steroid injected main character on front surrounded by half naked ladies. Can't blame them for not taking chances when the numbers prove that boring formulas work.

I'd really like to see them make doom feel doomed. The first game had that. It was a feeling of doom when playing. The creepy sci-fi music and environments mixed with the creepy monsters and lack of other human character interaction really set the mood.

A modern version that kinda had the same feel was Dead Space in my opinion. Did a good job of that secluded oh # feeling.

It was campy yet genuinely unique.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I have high hopes for two reasons , ID is now owned by Bethesda who in my opinion release quality games and the new Doom was ready a couple of years ago but they scrapped it and started again because it wasn't good enough , my hopes are high.

Oh and John Carmack isn't there any more , I think he lost his way as shown by the very disappointing Rage.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

I agree and a big Dead Space fan with 3 being mehhh..... They tried to do that action formula with Resident Evil and it fell on it's face... It just irritates me sometimes when you stray from a franchise that brought you your success in the first place, doesn't make a whole lot of business sense..

That being said, I don't hold out too much hope for games that use CGI trailers as their promos...

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Leave it to Bethesda to slap the Elder Scrolls/Fallout engine on Doom and call it a day. I'm not a huge Bethesda fan if you can't tell lol. They ruined ES imo.
edit on 17-7-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Looks bad ass. While they are at it they might as well bring us some Duke Nukem as well.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

They're using ID Tech 5 the same engine used for the new Wolfenstein

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join