It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Red And The Blue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Red states, blue states. There is a new form of segregation based on color in America: are you red, or are you blue?

While division along party lines is nothing new in American politics, it nonetheless seems that it has achieved the status of a science. Red state people are this way, and blue state people are that way.

Newspapers and magazines talk about the "new great divide" in American politics. Is it really that dramatic? Do "red" and "blue" Americans see things so differently that they can't agree on anything?

Are "red state" and "blue state" Americans really as different as they are made out to be, or is this divide a contrivance of political scientists and partisan operatives?

What do you think?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
That is a difficult choice for me I love both colors and I wear them all the time.

I don't think it mades any differences here at home were I am at.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I dont see a difference in a blue state or a red state, most of the states were close. Bush just appeal to more people Im sorry to say, I wasn't one of them. There were a lot of interest groups pushing for morals, like the church. You know what i thought was sad was when the Catholic Church came out and say if you vote for Kerry its a sin. Personally, I thought that was crossing the line, they shouldn't be telling anyone what is a sin after their sex scandals with little boys.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
im about to pass out for the night, but a large source of the difference is intelligence. the blue states have a much higher average iq, for what thats worth. they are mostly coastal states, therefore involved heavily in trade and immigration. they get the greatest mixture of all peoples of america. the red states are mostly landlocked, broad and empty, with the 'true' americans.

i guess, then, its less about intelligence, and more about culture. the blue states and the red states have very different cultures and ideals, even if they both watch 'desperate housewives.' i think that difference makes the largest division between them.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
i guess, then, its less about intelligence, and more about culture. the blue states and the red states have very different cultures and ideals, even if they both watch 'desperate housewives.' i think that difference makes the largest division between them.

With all due respect, that sounds exactly like what they want you to believe.

Sure, there are no doubt various things that distinguish the red states and blue states, but is it really as cut and dried as culture?

Consider the fact that many of the heroes of the blue states were born in red states. Does that mean the blue states choose uncouth troglodytes as their heroes?

If so, what does that say about the blue states?

[edit on 12/2/2004 by Majic]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Sure, there are no doubt various things that distinguish the red states and blue states, but is it really as cut and dried as culture?

Consider the fact that many of the heroes of the blue states were born in red states. Does that mean the blue states choose uncouth troglodytes as their heroes?

If so, what does that say about the blue states?

well, personally i see nothing 'cut and dried' about culture. i can think of nothing on this earth other than life that is as convoluted and mixed up as culture. by saying 'uncouth troglodytes' (good word) you assume something from what i said. i dont mean to say either one is right or wrong, better or worse, only that their lives are different, their values are different, and a million other things are different. all of these, all million and two, can be summed up with one word: culture.

it says nothing about the red or the blue if they pick leaders from elsewhere. in fact, its a credit to them if they can find someone they like to lead them who is from a red state. much better chance at national unity, success, etc.

top topics

join