It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Korean Air Lines Flight 007 (also known as KAL007 and KE007[note 2]) was a scheduled Korean Air Lines flight from New York City to Seoul via Anchorage. On September 1, 1983, the airliner serving the flight was shot down by a Soviet Su-15 interceptor near Moneron Island, west of Sakhalin Island, in the Sea of Japan.
originally posted by: SixX18
As far as investigation goes, and the black box, Ukraine and Russia should not be involved. If a cop shoots someone dead, should he be the judge in his own trial?
As far as everything else goes, I'm not getting into these arguments. It is horrible that this happened, and I'm sure it was most likely an accident, but still need to look deeper into it because this isn't just a car crash, it's an airliner full of international civilians. Malaysia shouldn't lead any investigation either, look how bad they messed up MH 370.
originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: sheepslayer247
What should be done?
Should have listened to Romney then maybe this wouldn't have happened.
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney called Russia "without question our number one geopolitical foe" Monday on CNN.
I say without question HE WAS RIGHT.
What should we do ?
Pull out of any treaties.
Put back the missile defense network in the EU.
Kick their snip off of the UN Security Council.
Lots of stuff could be done.
Instead of worrying about hurting anyone's feelings.
originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: rustyclutch
Wars have started over less.
originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: AstralTrespass
I already stated that I do not want an all out war. What we need are some leaders with balls that speak out when something like this occurs and does not simply head off on vacation. I am also not comparing administrations as those people are in the past and did what they did. I mean the current admin. I would not care if it was O or Hil or some other puppet, the fact is that you cannot threaten more sanctions when it is 'very clear' what happened. Look at the facts...
1. A commercial airliner was shot down.
2. No mechanical failures...cannot back track
3. Very large and long debris field
4. Multiple airplanes were shot down or hit in the past 3 weeks in the same region.
5. The Ukrainian invasion is at a stalemate. We have not moved to assist the Ukraine so this is a "poke the West' moment. This is not a 'downed US drone caught' situation. This was not a mistake. It is a calculated way to gain response, reaction and allow a further foothold in the region for Russia. They will tell the Ukrainians, even though it was pro-Russian separatists they need more protection in the region...and people will buy it.
There is no need for war but if the US and its allies do not call Russia out on this they will not be able to say anything in the future. It is setting a dangerous precedent for the loss of innocent lives.