It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manuel Noriega Sues Activision Blizzard For Damaging Reputation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
From the "You Just Can't Make This S# Up" department:

Former Panamanian dictator and all around terrible person, Manuel Noriega, is suing video game maker Activision Blizzard, claiming his portrayal in Call of Duty: Black Ops II has done harm to his reputation!

From the article that appeared yesterday on CNN.com (emphasis added by me):

Noriega -- convicted of drug trafficking, money laundering and killing political opponents -- is serving out a prison sentence in Panama, where he was extradited in 2011.

He argues in the lawsuit that his portrayal "as a kidnapper, murderer and enemy of the state" in the 2012 video game damaged his reputation. The company used his image and name in order to make money, the lawsuit says, therefore he's entitled to a share of the profits.

"Plaintiff was portrayed as an antagonist as the culprit of numerous fictional heinous crimes, creating the false impression that defendants are authorized to use plaintiff's image and likeness," the lawsuit says.

In 2012, the company said "Call of Duty: Black Ops II" had netted more than $1 billion in sales worldwide in its first months on the market.

The video game includes historical footage and several real-life characters in Cold War scenarios, including Oliver North.
But while North did his own voice over for the game and acted as an adviser, Noriega said in Tuesday's lawsuit that he wasn't consulted -- or compensated -- for the use of his likeness.

He's lucky that he's still drawing breath! I guess it should be expected though as nobody ever became a ruthless dictator without grandes cojones and a seriously distorted view of himself.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Guess because its easier to sue a game maker than for him to sue his old pals at C(aught) I(n the) A(ct) ...

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Guess because its easier to sue a game maker than for him to sue his old pals at C(aught) I(n the) A(ct) ...

and considerably safer.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I thought he died????
Lindsey Lohan is suing R* games(GTAV) for using her likeness in the video game. Neither will be able to prove damages and will get nothing, IMO.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Well if they had made the game about actual stuff he had been convicted of then it wouldn't be considered defamation.

Video game company isn't too smart to create fictional scenarios based on a living person.

He will probably settle out of court. Either way the rule is this: If you say something or write something about a living person that is negative and isn't true it is considered defamation. Doesn't matter if they are a mass murdering cannibal. If you write a story about how they are also a pedophile from outer space and make money off it...be prepared for a lawsuit.

Also, if you use someone that is living in your story without their permission they probably have grounds to sue you. Especially if it is in a fictional setting.

top topics

join