It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Captain America Is Black

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Captain America is a revolving character which means he is often replaced by new people as time goes on unlike a Batman or Superman who are always represented by one consistent individual. I think having him represented by a black man is appropriate for this current span but there seem to be quite a few people up in arms about this claiming it is purely political correctness.

It is possible that one day CA will be represented by a woman for a short time until she is eventually killed off and replaced also.

What are your thoughts?

There's a new Captain America coming to town.

Sam Wilson, Captain America's longtime partner The Falcon, will be replacing Steve Rogers this fall in the comic book series, Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada revealed on Comedy Central’s "The Colbert Report" Wednesday night.

While there have been other replacements for Rogers, Wilson will be the first person of color to appear as the title lead in the comic. The character of Isaiah Bradley, whose story paralleled the Tuskegee syphilis study, was told in a stand-alone miniseries, Comicbook.com reported.

www.huffingtonpost.com... 7.html

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Senators

I don't see how he's any different than Orpheus or Frozone.

Then there's Isaiah_Bradley
edit on 17-7-2014 by lemmin because: Brain fart

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Ok, sure. Why not?

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
No thought at all!
I do not own any stock in comic books and have almost none of my childhood collection left.
I stopped reading them when I realized real life events could be MUCH more intriguing.
I hear the new Thor will be a chick, cool in an altiverse sense I guess. (I just had to add altiverse to my browsers dictionary...WOW)
Unfortunately printed media has been dying for a long time.
I sure did love my comics back when but I am not willing to buy a kindle or whatever e-book to read from.
And like I said, real life is much more intriguing.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
If we look at this from a societal point of view we can see that comics are possibly reflecting changes in society.

Captain America is now black, a traditional white character, and the Green Lantern is now homosexual.

Many people resent the changing of iconic figures like these yet others argue that it is simply a reflection of the times and that comics are leading the way as they usually have in some regards.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Why not?

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Thor just became a woman, and he's also spent some time as a frog. Or how about gay Spiderman? I'd say that about explains the limits of comic book creativity. As in, there are none.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The comic book industry is just like every other business, it's all about making money. They try to keep fresh material with current social issues to sell comics. If sales drop because of these changes they will cancel the story line. If sales increase they will continue. I do wonder though if captain America will be called an uncle Tom for defending america.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Double post! Sorry
edit on 17-7-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
why not miss jekyl and mrs hyde then or maybe a black long john silver ,,yes you can change any charactor but it will never be how the original story was intended to be portrayed by the original author ,,i think it was more likely obamas god complex so he phoned them and said i want a black captain america just like me

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Don't mind at all....however...I don't want to see a women as Captain America...any more than I want to see a man take on a wonder woman like persona...although not opposed to seeing a woman in stars and strips...just not with the name Captain America..

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
why not miss jekyl and mrs hyde then or maybe a black long john silver ,,yes you can change any charactor but it will never be how the original story was intended to be portrayed by the original author ,,i think it was more likely obamas god complex so he phoned them and said i want a black captain america just like me

Can there ever be a ATS thread withou 0bama being mentioned

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Quick thought:

Wonderful

Great

hope it will be a good role model for young men

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Mrs. Jekyl and Miss Hyde, the story of a female doctor who falls in love with a street rat who is hospitalized after a gang fight, to discover this street girl has a dark side...a side that perhaps only Mrs. Jekyl can heal.

How's that for controversial?

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Who cares what color he is just so long as he's American.
The NAACP might complain because it's not Captain African-American.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: irgust
Who cares what color he is just so long as he's American.
The NAACP might complain because it's not Captain African-American.

Well then, they can hire their own guy to put Black Panther in the Star Spangled Suit.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Can there ever be a ATS thread withou 0bama being mentioned

Hell no. Obama has become an icon of sensational outrage. No conspiracy is complete without it. Or self-righteous tirade. Or patriotic crusade. Or any other overinflated tantrum you care to list.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Senators
I think having him represented by a black man is appropriate for this current span but there seem to be quite a few people up in arms about this claiming it is purely political correctness.

As I recall there was a Marvel villain (The Kingpin) who was going to be represented by a black man when first conceived, but they made him white for political correctness. And then guess what, when Michael Clarke Duncan played Kingpin in the Daredevil movie, people were flipping out because he wasn't white, as per the comic source material.

The thing is, the climate changes on what's acceptable and what isn't from generation-to-generation. Heck, it varies from person-to-person.

You just can't win sometimes. There's backlash for any creative decision. People need to be more accepting of change instead of crying PC all the time.

Oh yeah, not to mention Jamie Foxx as Electro. You never saw so many Spider-fans crying.

edit on 17-7-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
No big deal. I don't see nothing wrong with it. Nerds need to calm down. It's okay.

Now I think that Tonto should be the Lone Ranger and the Lone Ranger should be Tonto. Lets cover all areas!!! And the next Ice Man should be a woman!! yeah!! Hillary Clinton could play Ice Woman! thank you good night

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
My view on it is this:

Some of the iconic characters are who they are because of what/who they are: Spider-Man is Spider-Man because he was bitten by a radioactive spider and mutated. Superman is who he is because he is the last son of planet Krypton and his powers come from his physiology's reaction to Earth's sun. When you have characters like that, it's really hard to pass the mantel on believably to some other alter ego IMO.

But then you have the iconic characters who are what/who they are because of what they've made themselves: Batman is who he is mainly because of training. Thor has Mjolnir the magic weapon. The Punisher is just a really kick-@ss guy with ordinance who doesn't really care if he lives or dies. The Green Lanterns are an entire interstellar organization based around power rings. These types of characters can pass their mantel on to other alter egos very easily either permanently or temporarily because the basics of what made them the heroes they are can be passed on either entirely or at least in significant part to other people.

Captain America is a bit tricky because he's a mix of the two worlds. He has the super soldier serum that changed him physically like a mutant. You can't pass that to anyone else. As far as I know, they haven't re-created it perfectly. But the other part of what makes Cap is his training and ability. Those can easily be replicated. And of course, you're going to have a hard time finding any other person with Steve Rogers' refusal to quit which is a large part of why they gave him the super soldier serum in the first place.

I get offended when you take a character who has trouble being portrayed as someone else in their alter ego and then change that alter ego. That's when I start to feel like a character has been violated for the sake of giving in to some writer's fantasy or satisfying some inner editorial agenda.
edit on 17-7-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join