It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Devils Float Cake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I received this recipe a while ago and today decided to make it!

I will describe it as a really easy way to make a chocolate lava cake. You might look at the directions and wonder how in any way possible will this come out, but surprisingly it does! It only takes about 5 to 10 minutes to put together and 30 to 35 minutes to bake! Add whipped cream or vanilla ice cream! Your family will LOVE YA for this one!

-- Pudding --
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup Sugar
2 tablespoon Cocoa
1 cup Hot water

-- Cake --
1 cup Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 1/2 tablespoon Cocoa
3/4 cup Sugar
2 tablespoon Butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Preparation

Mix pudding ingredients in bowl, stir until sugar is disolved, pour in cake pan.

Mix cake ingredients and pour into cake pan. I used a 9 inch round pan.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I hate threads like these! All that sugary goodness I despise.

Give me some good grillin' tips!

Meat! Baby! Meat!

But I digress...

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

I hate threads like these! All that sugary goodness I despise.

Give me some good grillin' tips!

Meat! Baby! Meat!

But I digress...

Haha!

I am more into smoking than grilling. But I do love me my desert to cap of a good meal! This one is so easy it is a no brainer! But yet it tastes pretty damn good.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Dr. Pepper baby back ribs:

www.food.com...

2 racks baby back ribs
1 (2 liter) bottle Dr. Pepper cola
1/4 cup salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 medium onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Wow, couldn't have seen this at a better time!
Trying to decide what dessert to make,
for hubby to take to work in his lunch.

This sounds so simple compared to the pineapple,
coconut muffins that I was thinking about!
And easily made to be gluten & dairy free!
Thanks for posting it!
WOQ

edit on 16-7-2014 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

Dr. Pepper baby back ribs:

www.food.com...

2 racks baby back ribs
1 (2 liter) bottle Dr. Pepper cola
1/4 cup salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 medium onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Can I substitute beer for Dr. Pepper? And I'm talking cheap beer either. I would never cook with anything that Budwieser or Miller brews.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

The Dr. Pepper caramelizes due to the high content of sugar. Also, the flavoring of Dr. Pepper is perfect for baby back ribs.

I know that beer is a popular item to cook in mainly because it looks cool on menus...but to be honest bourbon and brown sugar would be better in my opinion for ribs if you do decide to use an alcoholic beverage as a marinade. Beer doesn't really have a good flavor for items like baby back ribs. Unless it's batter for fish or chicken, once the alcohol cooks off(which doesn't take long) the flavor of beer just doesn't work well with certain dishes in my opinion. Think of how beer tastes when left out and the alcohol is gone. Gross right?

Edit: Main thing to keep in mind for great baby back marinades is to have something that will keep the moisture but also provide enough sugar for that perfect caramelized glaze on the ribs. A marinade needs just the right amount of spice and sugar to make it delicious. That's what the recipe gives in my opinion. Very tasty.

The recipe gives instructions for a regular over, but you'll find the recipe works great with a BBQ pit and mesquite coals as well.

edit on 16-7-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

I like letting my meat, whatever it is, sit in a beer based sauce for a day or two...dependent upon the meat.

I haven't had a compliant yet. But I never let the meat, nor the beer dictate, so there have been a few failures as far as I concerned. That's based upon my own taste buds, because clean up has always been easy.

It's just me I guess, I'm just not a fan of sugar. With the exception of Dark Chocolate.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I understand.

I am on a ketogenic diet myself actually but when I cook ribs I always make them slightly sweet/spicy. It's one of those cheat meals I enjoy once in awhile. I like the Dr. Pepper because the sweetness isn't overpowering at all and is just very mild.

Everyone's taste buds are different. I've never cared for beer marinades save for batters.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

OK, I'll admit it. I do throw some bourbon in my marinade. I don't drink the stuff myself. I'm a beer and wine guy. Though wine does find itself into my Italian dishes. LOL

I'm into my spicy Mexican phase again, so beer is my choice.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Once bourbon is cooked it just becomes flavoring as all the alcohol cooks off pretty quickly. Even searing gets rid of the alcohol relatively quickly. I like the flavor of it especially for red meats.

Just blends well for some reason. Kind of like mustard and lamb meat.

I don't(I can't) drink bourbon so my experience with it is for cooking only. I think the last time I drank bourbon I walked into a wall of a barn and passed out. Woke up when a chicken stepped on my head at about seven in the morning.

Yup drinking days are over for that one.

I'll have beers every once in awhile now but really try and steer clear of hard liquor at all times and alcohol in general.

It does work really well for cooking and wine is a must for Italian.

edit on 16-7-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Yea, I know the alcohol is cooked off. Never been able to pull of a Rum Cake yet though. That was back in the nineties and a lesson well learned. About the only thing I can bake is my Oatmeal, Peanut Butter, Dark Chocolate cookies these days. A excellent choice when making Ice Cream sandwiches, if I may say so myself!

top topics

join