It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JIBO, The Worlds First Family Robot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Video at link:

www.myjibo.com...

Article :

www.wired.com...

For many families, the tablet has become the central, shared computing device in the home. It’s a hub for learning, for entertainment, and for staying connected. But what if your tablet was even more interactive? What if it woke up when you can home, recognized your face, and suggested a couple of things you might want for dinner? What if, when asked a spoken question, it could tailor its answer directly to you, instead of just offering a blanket response? A new device called Jibo can do these things, and it could mark the next step in group computer interaction in the home. But Jibo isn’t a tablet at all: It’s a robot. Specifically, Jibo is a social robot. You talk to it, ask it questions, make requests. It talks back, provides answers, and takes care of grunt work like setting reminders or scouring the web. It’s meant to act as a helper and a partner in a variety of household experiences, much like a physical embodiment of Siri, Google Now, or any of the voice-activated concierge services available on our smartphones or tablets.

So, my emotions on this are stuck midway between "shut-up and take my money!" and "kill it with fire!". On the one hand, if this thing works anything like advertised, I want it yesterday. It would be a childhood dream come true. On the other hand, creepy internet connected device following my movements around the room is a definite deal breaker. But if this thing is truly as conversational as the commercial indicates then wow!

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg
Can't see myself ever wanting one to be honest.
It's not like searching stuff on my phone or laptop is really that difficult, and 'keeping track' of my daily life is pretty simple as well with my old-school notepad and a pencil which never breaks down or needs charging.
Nope, from a 'smart-house' which can switch the heating on from work, or this robotic server/assistant, it is really only useful for people who have a lot more first world problems than I do.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
No thanks .. ex-wives are bad enough to deal with .. would hate to have to deal with a nagging robot ..

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I think the one they made to keep company to the Japanese astronauts was way cooler than that... lol A quasiprotoreversed exclamation point don't look much like a robot, at least to me... lol

And can a robot be called a robot if it has to be moved by you, or should it be called a computer with a rotating screen?...

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I'd love to have a robot friend! That is assuming it follows the three laws of robotics!

My only concern with robots is this: What happens when we begin to rely to much on machines? What will we fill our days with if the robots do everything for us?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

ya you said best...buy it or burn it haha...i was thinking how cool it could be but the whole time i had creepy thoughts while watching that video...like it sneaking in a sly remark or soemthing at any moment...because deep down it has nefarious plans.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
its pretty cool but i would wait till the 3-4th generation is out before i bought something like this let them work out the bugs and add more features, it seems like it could be a cool fun device for the family . im interested to see where this tech goes in the future for sure im still waiting for the laundry washing and dish washing and dinner cooking robot i was told as a kid would be out by now

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I want one
was going to buy an "Ivee" but I'm going to hold out for this for sure

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
So here we have a wifi capable recording device that stores everything it's told to - which makes this a Prime weak link in the security of the home's contents as well as detailed information on the residents occupants.

It's not worth the risk folks.

And why Pre-Order.. isn't this thing finished yet or or they like so many other people still trying to raise money to finish this er.. tool?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
That is NOT a robot. Its an internet gadget. I want a housecleaning, affordable, r2d2, or c3p0, that does all the work and weeding too.

I have been waiting all my life for that to come out, and they're still being asshats.
edit on 16-7-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
That is NOT a robot. Its an internet gadget. I want a housecleaning, affordable, r2d2, or c3p0, that does all the work and weeding too.

I have been waiting all my life for that to come out, and they're still being asshats.

Another 20 years and we will have our R2D2's and C3PO's no doubt. With the resurgence of Star Wars in the near future coupled with a spike in technological proficiency on a mass level, the combination should occur sometime soon.

new topics

top topics

join