It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Worries that Self-Driving Cars Can Be Turned Into Weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
gizmodo.com...

An internal FBI report obtained by The Guardian speculates about what the roads will look like when they're packed with driverless cars. And because it's the FBI, there's a gloomy analysis of how criminals could exploit our autonomous automotive future. The Strategic Issues Group report obtained by The Guardian analyzes the many potential law enforcement and security implications of driverless cars. The quotes selected by the paper are vague, but definitely reflect an understanding that the car could become an even more dangerous weapon than before if it doesn't need a driver. Imagine if suicide bombings didn't involve the suicide. The Guardian quotes:

Everything can be turned into a weapon. Everything! A well placed rock is just as dangerous as a vehicle or a knife. Are we gonna outlaw those? Most commercial airliners are computer controlled during long durations of flight, I'd be far more worried about those. At a certain point in time we're just going to have to learn to accept risk and move on with life....

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
People have forgotten how to live. Ever thing is about security and being taken care of. Its the way they gain control. The will always be a inherent risk in living its what makes life worth getting up for.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Sometimes I wish the nanny's of the world would get their way.

Everything is a weapon, everything is going to kill us, we cant use this, own that or eat anything but soylent green.

At least then the media and the police state psycho agencies could shut the # up for once.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It makes perfect sense that the FBI believes that they could be turned into weapons. Think of the increase in fuel economy that would be gained since a computer would be more capable of holding constant speeds, smooth accelerations, easy breaking, so on and so forth.

Yes, that's a great weapon against the oil companies.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It's a wonder anyone who works for the F.B.I. and many other alphabet agencies ever get any sleep what with all the boogeymen that are hiding everywhere. Anyone ever think that it's THEM that need the tin-foil hats, not us? Heck, they seem to find conspiracies in places even ATS doesn't go.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

They don't buy into their own crap. Every threat is just another line item they can use to get more funding, hire more agents, create new positions, buy more equipment.

Like any other government office the only thing they actually believe in is themselves.

Their little press releases and fanciful horror stories get every weak-minded plebe to tremble in fear and lock their door but the folks at the FBI are just laughing all the way to the bank.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere
Today's Threat-Level Forecast: "THROUGH THE ROOF";
1. Peanut Butter (especially the chunky kind), Peanut Brittle, foods cooked with Peanut Oil (except Capt'n Crunch/Peanut Butter Crunch), you get the picture...
2. Yellowjackets, Wasps, Honeybees and Tawny Crazy Ants
3. C-Class Mercedes' that drive themselves into palm trees
4. Mood Swings - (contact the authorities if you see suspicious behavior ----- we have a straight-jacket ready for you &/or whomever you suspect)
5. Sink Holes (coming to a neighborhood near you!)
6. Global Worming - yes, you heard/read right...
7. Double-Lightning Strikes
8. Illegal Drugs & Westernized Education
9. Caucasian Males

Otherwise - Great day ahead - Be sure to take your blue pills.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

Oh come on, you know better than that. Everything they do is to protect us - and THE CHILDREN - from ourselves because the average person can't handle a (insert whatever here) without killing themselves.

Sorry, I don't have anything else to say that's not just me being a sarcastic ass. How does one discuss insane ideas whilst staying sane?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I can see what's coming. They will lean toward having cameras,gps tracking, remote engine cutout systems and whatever else they can get away with installed in all of these cars.All in the name of 'security'.
edit on 16-7-2014 by sayzaar because: forgot the 'security' part.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

I'm sure it the drunk driving deaths would outweigh the use of some programmed car as a weapon....

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: sayzaar
I will be very surprised if some sort of kill switch doesn't come out of all this scaremongering. That, and a requirement that autonomous vehicles be federally registered. Because, terrorism.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

I'm sure it the drunk driving deaths would outweigh the use of some programmed car as a weapon....

You're thinking logically. That's not how government works.

0: People killed in the USA by terrorism/WMD in 2006.
(Thousands killed by the US and its allies in foreign countries.)

0: People killed in the UK by terrorism/WMD in 2006.

0: People killed in the USA by terrorism/WMD in 2005.

52: killed in the UK by terrorism/WMD in 2005 (all on "7/7").

0: People in the USA killed by terrorism/WMD in 2004.

0: People in the UK killed by terrorism/WMD in 2004.

0: People in the USA killed by terrorism/WMD in 2003.

0: People in the UK killed by terrorism/WMD in 2003.

0: People in the USA killed by terrorism/WMD in 2002.

0: People in the UK killed by terrorism/WMD in 2002.

2,752: in USA killed by terrorism in 2001 (all on "9/11").

0: People in the UK killed by terrorism/WMD in 2001.

0: People in the USA killed by terrorism/WMD in 2000.

0: People in the UK killed by terrorism/WMD in 2000.

Yet how much time, money and totalitarianism is put forth to combat terrorism?

Alcohol-related highway crashes accounted for 13,365 deaths in 2010 (as shown in figure 1). In addition, alcohol-related highway crashes annually cost Americans an estimated $37 billion.2 link

It doesnt matter if every one of those accidents and deaths are erased due to self-driving cars if just one is sent off to plow through a crowd of people or set to explode in front of a school as students were leaving for the day.

The one-off exceedingly rare event trumps everything else.

26 kids get shot and the country stands still while politicians plot to take the rights of 300,000,000 people away. Meanwhile every night in Chicago at least a half dozen are killed and nobody notices.

That one time an auto-driving car runs somebody over will be more important than all the times a human driven car has run somebody over put together.

People aren't logical. They're crazy frightened apes who've never made it out of their caves. Government knows this. Government exploits this.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I can see a lot of husbands getting rid of their wives this way....or maybe the other way around.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

I wouldn't count on that. There have only been just over 900 deaths attributed to mass shootings in the last 7 years but that hasn't stopped the left from beating it into our heads what an imminent threat all these shootings are and extreme actions need to be taken. Never mind the fact that gun violence has decreased over the last 20 years. So if it's a threat, no matter how small, expect one side or the other to jump on it and try to yell about how we are all in danger because of it.
edit on 16-7-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
cars are already weapons, so whats the deal?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
cars are already weapons, so whats the deal?

It's different so we have to be scared!

Like this:

In 1930, laws were proposed in Massachusetts and St. Louis to ban radios while driving. According to automotive historian Michael Lamm, “Opponents of car radios argued that they distracted drivers and caused accidents, that tuning them took a driver’s attention away from the road, and that music could lull a driver to sleep.”
Ban the car radio

The Chinese thought literature would be the death of civilization. Mini-skirts would ruin the world. TV has destroyed our minds. Electricity was supposed to kill everyone. Obama would burn America to the ground.

It's new, it's different, we must give in to hysterics.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It made 'the news' because 'the news' exists, that is the biggest weapon and it's used every day

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Everybody with me now....

DUUUUUHHHHHBHHH

UMM feebs... could this be because your paymasters are already killing people this way?

Quick folks this just in!!!!

COAST GUARD WORRIES OCEANS PRESENT STRONG DROWNING RISK!!!

Although this might provide concrete evidence someone at FBI reads something other than self congratulatory internal documents.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Drug dealing will be less risky and there will be plausible deniability. Will they be able to pull over your car that is driving perfectly within the law for being suspicious?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Couldn't say it better myself. Everything can be used as a weapon.

top topics

join