It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taranis Stealth Drone Goes 'Invisible' During Tests

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Loving the VLO flat integrated SATCOM panels.

Its a very nice test article. Any one else pick up on some thing that's gone unsaid so far here on ATS?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Contrails can be prevented, and heat signature nullified.

That would be quite expensive "energy-wise" considering the consistent march towards entropic death. Reminds me of a pump storage project where first the engineers said they would create energy lol. Ummmm, something about physical laws seem to contradict that statement. Then the politicians said the system would create as much energy as it used, even though the Francis combo turbine/generators were only 75% efficient. Hmmm, 1250 Mwatts in, 750 Mwatts out, (sighing about now) politicians and salesmen can be such idiots, of course the people that follow and believe them are even worse off.

So, barring the use of some kind of Peltier effect based thermal heat exchange system, I think trying to hide that engine/exhaust heat signature is going to be pretty tricky and as I said, very expensive ;-) They may be able to reduce the temperature of the exhaust using heat sinks and exchangers (which reduce thrust and increase fuel consumption), however there will still be a nice elevated temperature differential up to a few 1000 yards behind that little toy which of course points to a target. This all of course presuming that the drone in question uses a form of turbine rather than something exotic like an inertial engine.

Like I said (above someplace), given the tools, the toys and the funding, I could knock that sucker out of the sky for half the cost they paid to develop it, probably less.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Astr0

They tested something similar on Speckled Trout in the 90s.

Damn I miss that bird.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

They tested something similar on Speckled Trout in the 90s.
Damn I miss that bird.

Amazing just in those short years how miniaturised its all manage to become.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Astr0

Yeah it is. They weren't huge, but they were noticeable. Those are tiny in comparison.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I wonder how far behind British stealth tech is compared to the U.S., given that this is their first real attempt.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: quatro

The British and BAE have been working hand in hand with the US for years with the stealth fleets here. Pretty much every stealth aircraft has at least one UK exchange officer, usually more. In fact a few years ago there was the first RAF B-2 Mission Commander.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Is there much technology sharing? Does BAE do any subcontract work for this stuff?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: quatro

There's quite a bit. Not so much the top of the line stuff, but some of the more minor aspects of it, and some technical stuff. BAE has all kinds of LO materials that they manufacture that gets used by both the US and the UK.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: nfflhome

BAE is english. like the crown. they are most certainly NOT friends of the USA and should NEVER be trusted. They will stab you in the back the first time they get a chance.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: tencap77

And yet, they have major production facilities in the US, and have been making equipment for the US military for decades, including stealth systems, guns for warships, vehicles, and just about everything else you can think of. All without problem.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   

a reply to: tencap77

And yet, they have major production facilities in the US, and have been making equipment for the US military for decades, including stealth systems, guns for warships, vehicles, and just about everything else you can think of. All without problem.

Never let a fact get in the way of a good delusion.

Of all our allies the UK is arguably the one I trust the most.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Even though it is one company there are still internal export rules on technology transfers.

So one area of BAE in the US that makes stealth cannot transfer that to the UK. One of the reasons BAE made Replica (a model aircraft to prove we understood stealth) was to gain access to Stealth tech on and allow us in on JSF.

Here in BAE Australia - we are making corrosion sensors for the JSF and had to send them to a company in the US to get them painted because the US wouldnt reveal the paint specification and thickness for JSF to BAE Australia even though BAE UK Plc. is making the empennage and rear fuse.

I think that Taranis is going to be used as a technology demonstrator for a joint UK / France project. The project used to be called FOAS (Future Offensive Air System). I dont recall what happened to that project or where France is at with its stealth technology, but seems to make sense that both countries want to maintain their sovereign aircraft manufacturing capability and save money so it makes sense to team up and we did it on Jaguar so have a business model.

What Taranis gives BAE and UK is a better seat at the table, but it currently uses Hawk undercarriage, Typhoon fuel systems and a mixture of others and I only ever saw this one in 4 years, there was no number 2 being built.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: tencap77
a reply to: nfflhome

BAE is english. like the crown. they are most certainly NOT friends of the USA and should NEVER be trusted. They will stab you in the back the first time they get a chance.

pssssht

Hate to break it to you, the war of 1812 ended nearly 200 years ago.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

BTW, as an ETA, the EMF Shield I developed and patented makes a person 100% invisible to electronic sensors by using destructive interference, I guess I can get some blondes to wear the devices, strip them down and tell them they are invisible. Oh, and don't bother with the reflection in the mirror, because they are the only ones who can see themselves. LOL

Cheers - Dave

wait a minute....you might be on to something here. I'll round up some volunteers. lol

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: boomer135

BTW, as an ETA, the EMF Shield I developed and patented makes a person 100% invisible to electronic sensors by using destructive interference, I guess I can get some blondes to wear the devices, strip them down and tell them they are invisible. Oh, and don't bother with the reflection in the mirror, because they are the only ones who can see themselves. LOL

Cheers - Dave

wait a minute....you might be on to something here. I'll round up some volunteers. lol

We could do this! I have 17 in stock and they have been selling all over the world ;-) Actually get a blonde recruiter and it will be the blonde leading the blonde(s) LOL

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So people are suggesting BAE stole stealth tech from the US? LOL

top topics

<< 1   >>

join