It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IDK Patch - Let us work this one out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Here it is.

9 stars on the left, 2 on the right, a black manta-ray in the middle with the number 1.

Indigo Delta Kilo - "IDK" = I don't know?

Pottus est melius quam satis bene:
"Making something better than just good enough"

Someone out there pointed out that patch has a connection to Lockheed Martin's UAV Skunk Works challenge:
Skunk Works Challenge
although this is not at all confirmed.

Possible relation to the RQ-170?
Or the more elusive NG TR-3 Black Manta?

I think a good starting point would be to figure out what exactly the stars refer to, a flight squadron? A location?

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Happy hunting.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I don't know all the details, but I've been hunting this beast for awhile now. I know basic planform, but not much more.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

X-44 Manta?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It is a patch given to author Dr. Trevor Paglen. He's written a few books on the CIA and Pentagon black projects. He doesn't know what it refers to.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

The stars usually play a role in it. The nine and two of significant.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Intelligence, Defense, Knowledge? But the 11 stars are confusing to me.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: METACOMET
It is a patch given to author Dr. Trevor Paglen. He's written a few books on the CIA and Pentagon black projects. He doesn't know what it refers to.

Indeed, that is how I found this patch in the first place. Dr Paglen has been looking for someone who might know a bit more since 2008.
edit on July2014201416-0500fCDT10America/Chicago10 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: fomalhaut
Intelligence, Defense, Knowledge? But the 11 stars are confusing to me.

Good call! Another variant could be Information, Dominance and Knowledge.
But it is not like we haven't seen humor in other patches before, so IDK could very well be "I don't know".
The 11 stars are confusing me aswell... they could be interpreted several ways. Either as a set of 9 - 2, or 5 - 4 - 2.
Applying the layout of the stars to a map of North America (since the stars could represent bases of operation) hasn't revealed anything interesting so far, but it is kinda hard to line it up correctly as the stars are not to scale.

As Zaph alluded to, the stars are probably of significance to the platform itself.
edit on July2014201416-0500fCDT12America/Chicago12 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Wanted to add that someone out there in the WWW contacted the Institute of Heraldry with the following response:

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Mr. Cane,

The image in the photo was not designed by the Institute of Heraldry. It appears to be an organization “logo”–an unofficial design. We only maintain files of official symbols (i.e. patches, flags, badges, Distinctive Unit Insignia, awards, etc) so we are unable to identify this one.

Sorry,

[name redacted by me]

Link

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I'll throw this out there about the stars. Patches made during the early 2000's often made reference to sept 11, 2001 in some way. The stars could be 9 and 2 or it could be 9, 1 and 1 or 9/11. Just a guess.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I'll have a guess then.

Stars are the outline, nose facing downwards, active cammo system.

The 'tail' is like the hose from a refuelling aircraft snaking outwards.

So 9+2 = 92nd Air refuelling wing possibly testing out a low observable air to air refuelling aircraft for the other 'good toys'. The 1 I guess stands for '1st in'.

Some things got to refuel the VLO kit over harms way in the future.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Oh and 'making some thing better than just good enough' is very prominent in the story of the design for the YF-23 (in plain type).

So I say Northrop are the guilty party.

NINJA's refueller? nice.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Manta ray represents fluidity of movement, agility, and the ability to lay low and camouflage oneself. Also, they have been considered 'protectors of men'.

Stars can represent satellite constellations as well, but that's unlikely to be the case here.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Clairaudience

Regarding the stars, I see 6 on the left, 2 in the middle, and 3 on the right.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Indigo instead of India is significant...

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Not got any serious insight to offer but the star outline mentioned by astro does look a little like the 'Mystery Plane Over Wichita'. The perspective on the photograph hints at a slight curve in the rear of the aircraft. Although I must admit I haven't managed to get through all 43 pages yet to see if there was a more solid conclusion to this mystery plane.

edit on 17/7/2014 by constant_thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I asked shadowhawk about this patch and he has some pretty good ideas. I asked him to stop by the thread and share his knowledge, if he has some free time. I'm sure he's pretty busy at the moment with all the new toys coming out...

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

This patch is for a Lockheed Martin Skunk Works UAV program. The Latin phrase that translates as “Making Something Better Than Just Good Enough.” Additionally, the words Indigo, Delta, Kilo may signify IDK, shorthand for “I don’t know."

Interestingly, one Skunk Works VTOL concept called "Various" resembles a manta ray with lift fans in each wing. The proposal calls for a subsonic vehicle smaller than an F-16. In 2005 a Lockheed Martin official declined to provide additional specifics, but said the company thinks it has an innovative design for VTOL propulsion using contemporary technologies - as opposed to requiring heavy investment in new engines. I have no idea if such a craft ever flew or if it is in any way related to this patch. There are numerous different patches for as yet unrevealed LM UAV programs including a multitude of emblems for something called "Desert Prowler."

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: EBJet
Indigo instead of India is significant...

I thought that - I had a quick search and it seems some countries do use Indigo (British police were quoted but I dont know if thats true).

Interestingly (or not) one search pointed out Indigo is a dye coming from India - could that be a code word for comouflage?

Its a pretty tedious link I know, could just have been an oversight where someone in the project team had a sense of humour or always thought it was Indigo and noone picked up on it. Either way, if they are reading this thread I am sure they have a smile on their face!

top topics

join