It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

curious about your opinion on locations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I was just wondering, for those of you who do believe in life on other planets etc, where you believe them to be? Do you believe them to be in our own solar system? Our galaxy? Or further afield? I know it's probably a boring question, but I'm genuinely curious as to what people think on the matter. I believe there is other life out there, I'm not sure whether I believe they visit us, but I do find myself wondering where they would actually be? For those who do think they are visiting us and have been for a while, do you think they inhabit a planet nearby or that they have some sort of space station nearby like a home from home kind of deal they can live in for however long the need to. Or do you think they have the technology to travel vast distances in a short time?
If you believe they are visiting us what's your opinion on why that may be?
A few questions. I like to hear what people believe , not just arguments and evidence. Yes I like structured discussion and debate, and I do like seeing evidence to support people's theories but sometimes it's just the beliefs that interest me too. Belief is what drives the search for evidence and truth, without it we wouldn't be here really would we? And there's so many varied beliefs in this subject unlike others.
Anyhoo, feel free to comment, or ignore, whatever .

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I think that its naive to think that this planet is the only one in the universe that could sustain evolutionary life. I also wonder why in almost 2 million years of upright apes only the last 100 or so has yeilded such rapid technological advancements.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Life is everywhere .. its not limited to any one location .. and far more varied than people can imagine ..

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
One starting point into these ideas can be found at www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

Personally I believe the universe is full of life, a diverse expanse of many different conditions and many different forms. Everywhere we look on earth we find some forms of life, even in places that we do not expect to find it.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I suspect its here in our solar system, besides us obviously, possible on or in Europa, and maybe in the water beneath Enceladus as well. I think we will find proof, if we haven't already, there may have been/be. some type of life on Mars. Further I believe it is within the Milky Way, as well as all over the universe. and some of it has been coming for a long time to check us out, and will continue to do so..

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I have no personal doubts about life in the Milky Way. Earth is about two thirds of the out from the center, in one of the spiral arms. If the Galactic center is as busy as theorized with a supper massive black hole and hi radiation levels, I would think life would find that area challenging. I would bet life can find a way to evolve, a similar distance from the Galactic center, leaves a huge number of star systems for similar to Earth conditions. As for star travel? God I hope so. The distances is, well astronomical. I am afraid faster than light (FTL) travel will elude us for a few hundred years, if it's possible at all. Perhaps a more stable civilization, with the ability to put war, greed, violence, strife, and religion behind them, could spend the necessary means to crack FTL propulsion. I think we as the human race, we show great promise, but if we are to survive long enough to greet interstellar visitors we must put aside our differences.
Their seems to be evidence of past visitation, wither the facts are concealed or not. I believe it's up to each of us, to makeup you individual mind about, ET's, UFO's and visitation. As for me, If a starship landed at the UN building, I would be thrilled.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Personally, I think their could be microbial life in our solar system and intelligent life in the Milky Way. The sheer size of this galaxy is insane, taking light 100,000 years to cross from one end to the other. Then consider there are 50 billion other galaxies like this one. Anyone who thinks we are alone in the universe is a brain dead moron, in my opinion. Life is everywhere and humanity isn't even a speck of dust in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: christmaspig
Well apparently Buzz Aldrin was telling people there was a Monolith on one of the moons of Mars.
Life is most likely everywhere,maybe even in the deep cosmos of space.
But intelligent life is another thing.

I would guess there was once intelligent life on Mars,but it's just a guess.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
the moon and mars....definetely

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I think life in general is relatively common -- maybe even within our own solar system, and I think almost certainly within close proximity, say within a couple hundred light years.

HOWEVER, I just mean any form of life. Intelligent life/other technological civilizations may be far less common. I have no idea how much less common, but I suspect that there may only be a handful of technological civilizations in our galaxy. The closest one may be 10,000 light years away, which means we may not be meeting up with each other any time soon.

edit on 7/16/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach
Well apparently Buzz Aldrin was telling people there was a Monolith on one of the moons of Mars.
Life is most likely everywhere,maybe even in the deep cosmos of space.
But intelligent life is another thing.

I would guess there was once intelligent life on Mars,but it's just a guess.

Buzz, being the showman that he is, made that comment in a riddle-like manner, but at the end of the comment, he implied the the monolith was likely a natural structure, put there by nature (or by God, if someone is so inclined).

He said:
"Who put it there? Well...The universe put it there, or (if you choose) God put it there"

He made mention of the monolithic formation while trying to spark interest in manned exploration, so he asked the question about the monolithic structure in a "loaded" manner. He presented the question in such a manner in order to make the point out that there were fantastic things out there (such as this monolithic structure) that should be explored by manned spaceflight.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People
Quite presumptuous you are.
At no point did i mention that video or quoted him on it.

www.youtube.com...

At around 17 minutes you will hear about the Monolith.
Buzz Aldrin has 2 faces,one in public and one in private.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Other life in our Galaxy, certainly. Our Solar System? Unlikely.

Of course, what is other life is so strange and alien that we wouldn't even recognise it?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People
Quite presumptuous you are.
At no point did i mention that video or quoted him on it.

www.youtube.com...

At around 17 minutes you will hear about the Monolith.
Buzz Aldrin has 2 faces,one in public and one in private.

I'm not being presumptuous. I'm simply posting a video where Buzz personally makes a mention of the monolith that you referenced in you post. I didn't say you quoted him on it.

In your post you stated:
"Well apparently Buzz Aldrin was telling people there was a Monolith on one of the moons of Mars."

...And I simply posted a video I knew about where Buzz actually talked about the monolithic structure you mentioned in your post. It seems to be a legitimate video to post in response to your post, considering it adds to the discussion (i.e., Buzz's own words concerning the monolith you referenced).

By the way, do you have a recording of what Buzz actually said to Alex Jones on his show? I'd like to hear Buzz's own words and the context in which he spoke them, rather than Alex Jones' second-hand account, which may (or may not) have paraphrased Buzz.

EDIT TO UPDATE:
I found the original Alex Jones interview of Buzz Aldrin to which Jones is referring. See my post below.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: data5091
I suspect its here in our solar system, besides us obviously, possible on or in Europa, and maybe in the water beneath Enceladus as well. I think we will find proof, if we haven't already, there may have been/be. some type of life on Mars. Further I believe it is within the Milky Way, as well as all over the universe. and some of it has been coming for a long time to check us out, and will continue to do so..

Agreed...Europa should be frozen solid, but it is wrecked by tidal forces from Jupiter, that could leave enough unfrozen water for biological life. Europa receives sulfer fumes from another moon, that is one of the basic minerals for life. Europa has more frozen/unfrozen water than our entire planet.

It's most likely --- that the otherworlders who occasionally visit our planet ---- have achieved the breakthrough of faster than light speeds, and belong to a galactic fraternity that is dedicated to science and anthropology. The whereabouts of such highly technological civilizations should be located outside a certain radius point from the deadly radiative zone of the center core of our galaxy.
edit on 16-7-2014 by Erno86 because: typo error

edit on 16-7-2014 by Erno86 because: ditto

edit on 16-7-2014 by Erno86 because: added a word

edit on 16-7-2014 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
OK -- As an addendum to my post above, I found the Buzz Aldrin interview that Jones referred to.

As I suspected, on that show from July 15, 2014, Jones badly paraphrased what Aldrin said on an earlier show (from 2009), and cherry-picked the context.

On that 2009 show, they begin talking about what I mentioned before -- that Buzz likes the discussions about space to get "out there" because that stirs up public discussion about manned space, and Buzz feels discussion about manned space exploration is a good think -- so stirring the pot and talking about these "gee-wiz/what-if" type ideas is a good thing.

When Aldrin actually says what he thinks it is, he makes a statement saying that he "could say" that the monolith is an alien construct (that's the "gee-wiz/what-if" part that he hopes fuels discussion), but then he goes on to say that he does NOT really believe it is alien.

Jones: What is your gut this monolith is, or what are 'marsologists' saying it could be

Aldrin: My opinion doesn't guide public opinion or curiosity for the unusual and bizarre. We need lots and lots of public discussion about the pros and cons of going anywhere.

Jones: Certainly it's a way to get people interested; I see that. But what do you think this (monolith) is?

Aldrin: It's a big, big, tall rock...

...now, I can say "it looks like a maybe a crude construction device by some creature who practiced on Phobos, then landed in Egypt and built the pyramids."..... I don't really believe that [laughs], but some people may be liable to think that way."

That's very different from what Alex Jones said Aldrin said. Jones' account on his show from July 15, 2014 of that previous interview with Aldrin was as follows:

When Buzz Aldrin came on the show, he said:

we need to land on mars' moon, and there you will find a monolith -- and it was probably put there by an advanced intelligence...but that's all I can tell you"

There is quite a difference between what Jones' recollection of that interview and what Buzz actually said. Is Jones forgetful or deceitful?

It's obvious that Buzz is trying to spark interest in human manned exploration (which has been his personal cause for a while now), and he does this by giving the "what-if" scenario about aliens practicing on Phobos before building the pyramids. However, he then says "I don't really believe that"; he is just adding the "what-if" as fodder for discussion.

Here is the actual interview with Aldrin from 2009 where you can hear Buzz's own words. This discussion is around the 4:45 mark:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I like your OP for asking questions that epitomise what this forum should be all about

You're talking about 'they' as in intelligent life, right? Technological travellers and so forth. In my view, we just don't have the information to form a 'belief' that will stand any scrutiny.

Some of the reports from the 1940s-1960s described structured objects moving intelligently (radar, eye-witnesses etc). If we take those reports at face-value, it's reasonable to ponder that they weren't 'ours' and that leads to questions of 'who,' 'why' and 'where from?' The described technology then leads us to consider the possibility that they came from elsewhere.

With our current 21st Century knowledge, we know that interstellar travel is damn hard. We're shackled to speed limits and sources of energy that just don't allow for nipping around the galaxy. We're overwhelmed by the distances between solar systems and only science-fiction can bridge the gap between us and the stars. This means that even if we have the 'belief' that we have visitors, we're at a loss to begin to explain how 'they' would get here.

Guys like Nikolai Kardeshev theorised that there might be 3 levels of civilisation - Type III essentially having unlimited energy and ability to cross galaxies. Michio Kaku riffed on these ideas and mixed in some Carl Sagan to describe us as a Type Zero civilisation.. For a Type Zero to meet a Type III technology would be like experiencing magic and would probably lead to us filling in the gaps with faeries, demons, ghosts and 57 flavours of aliens...funnily enough, that's exactly what we've done.

A few hundred years ago, there was scholarly debate about how many angels could stand/sit/dance on the head of a pin. In the same sense, when we ask whether there's intelligent life visiting us, we're asking whether something we don't know exists is visiting us for reasons we can't even know. Sure, we can speculate about friendly guardians, galactic emissaries of peace or evil greys and many have already.

We just don't know enough to distinguish the ghosts of our imagination from something as exotic as a super-advanced civilisation. All those classic UFO reports haven't left enough definitive evidence for us to borrow those old scholars' pin and stick it in the mystery. Maybe in a few years, we'll have a leap or side-step in our concepts or technology that will change all that? Who knows?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: christmaspig
I was just wondering, for those of you who do believe in life on other planets etc, where you believe them to be? Do you believe them to be in our own solar system? Our galaxy? Or further afield? I know it's probably a boring question, but I'm genuinely curious as to what people think on the matter. I believe there is other life out there, I'm not sure whether I believe they visit us, but I do find myself wondering where they would actually be? For those who do think they are visiting us and have been for a while, do you think they inhabit a planet nearby or that they have some sort of space station nearby like a home from home kind of deal they can live in for however long the need to. Or do you think they have the technology to travel vast distances in a short time?
If you believe they are visiting us what's your opinion on why that may be?

Having seen a few UFOs I'm of the opinion extreterrestrials are here and could therefore be anywhere around us. Using the ocean floor or the dark side of the moon as bases if they desired. Their technology likely allows them rapid interstellar travel much as we depict in our own science fiction.

I have no idea how long they've been here but likely longer than since the Roswell crash in 1947.

I also have no idea why they're here but the Roswell, NM crash offers at least some explanation. Roswell in 1947 was home to the USA's atomic bomb squadron. So some type of spying/intelligence gathering was likely taking place. Similarly other major events like the 1980 Bentwaters event in Britain took place near nuclear missile silos. I don't believe this will lead to an invasion. They could have done that decades ago.

I will say I don't trust ETs no matter how benign they may turn out to be. Anything that secretive cannot be trusted. Same with our own governments.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your extensive and interesting replies. Sorry I've not been back, 3yr old with tonsillitis and 3 mth old maybe coming down with same thing. I'll be back with replies as soon as I get chance to sit down for more than 2 mins! Really appreciate all the replies though, makes for interesting reading!

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Life is more common in our Galaxy than we are led to believe in my opinion. According to the Law of One, they say there used to be life on Mars, and when their planet became inhabitable the Martians reincarnated on Earth. Also the Law of One series says there is life on Venus and Saturn and according to the Frances Swan's communications with human extraterrestrials who she communicated through channeling in the form as automatic writing, there is life on Uranus

top topics

join