It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is prayer sacrilegious?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Sacrilegious: pertaining to or involving sacrilege: sacrilegious practices.
Sacrilege: the violation or profanation of anything sacred or held sacred.

My question to those who pray (whatever religion you belong to), do you think that prayer is sacrilegious?

For example:
God is supposed to be all knowing and have everything planned out for you down to every event in our life. If you pray to God because you wish for a change/things to get better in your life, isn't that like saying "Sorry God, I know you know best & have it all planned but I disagree with your choice & want you to change it because my judgement is more sound than yours so to hell with your plan, make my life the way I want it".

I'm asking this not to start a fight, I am curious to hear what people have to say. I used to be a Presbyterian but left the religion in 2006 or so. I started to become agnostic but I'm not sure what category I fall under. When my boyfriend & I started to date, he asked some good questions, like this one. When he asked me, I was stumped. I had no answer because I saw the logic in what he was saying.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

Honestly I think you're beating a dead horse that doesn't exist.

Sorry if that offends anyone but it seems that this omniscience stuff is really simply a way to put off having to make a decision for yourself.

Really, get a backbone and actually look at reality. Then make your own decision.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Fabulous insight! And a very challenging one.

My religious relatives lives are like runaway trains on a very steep slope and they pray feverishly rather than analyze their behaviour. None of the non religious have dug nearly such deep holes.

Hope you don't mind if I present your perspective to them, with all due credit to you.... Oh I can't wait...it'll be so fun!

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
whell theres a difference when you pray repeatedly to saints and virgin mary (jesus said to not do this specifically.)
And praying to God directly.

Sometimes prayers are answered. but you have to ask yourself if those prayers are worth being answered also.

just the other day i was praying to God and he made it rain on me without any clouds in the sky, i was baffled.
It has to be important for God to answer a prayer;
It has to be on the same level of jesus praying on the mountain; and he may not respond in a way that you'd Understand.

Also it may be a long time for a prayer to be answered.
Once, one of the first people to widespread the Bible in languages other than latin was excuted by A king; and his last words were asking the Lord to open the Kings eyes. Three years later the same king authorized a New Translation of the bible from the original languages.

Jesus said to pray to your father in secret and your father hears you in secret.

Behold, the LORD'S hand is not so short That it cannot save; Nor is His ear so dull That it cannot hear. But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, And your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear.

If you seperate yourself from God By your iniquities then he will not hear you.
In order to overcome this; One must be heavily studied in the Bible; and Be as least of a sinner as you can.
of course we all make mistakes, and God is said to be the most merciful and Forgiving entity in all of existence;

But there is a difference between Sin and a deadly Sin; if you catch my drift.
god is Just, and hes angry with the wicked every day.

As Christians we are Called to lead by example, and to follow in the footsteps of christ, and try to live a life as he did as much as we can. and if you truly try your hardest, then it will be worth it.

You have to love your enemies, do good to those that do you harm, forgive others of their trespasses, When struck you must turn the other cheek as well. Not many people can actually do this. So, i would say that its both. Sacreligious and Completely in line with the Religion. it just depends on who you are, by means of what you've done, and what your asking God.
edit on 16-7-2014 by Belcastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
No.
If though, you are praying selfishly, asking for things like a greedy bustard it might be!

Or, if you only talk to him when you want something, you're being a user.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

Honestly I think you're beating a dead horse that doesn't exist.

Sorry if that offends anyone but it seems that this omniscience stuff is really simply a way to put off having to make a decision for yourself.

Really, get a backbone and actually look at reality. Then make your own decision.

Did you not read the part where I say I'm agnostic? I understand some people not reading a very long post but I think it was relatively short so no part should have been skipped over.

I am just curious as to what religious people who pray think about the subject.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: igloo
Fabulous insight! And a very challenging one.

My religious relatives lives are like runaway trains on a very steep slope and they pray feverishly rather than analyze their behaviour. None of the non religious have dug nearly such deep holes.

Hope you don't mind if I present your perspective to them, with all due credit to you.... Oh I can't wait...it'll be so fun!

I use to do that with my Mom's religious friend who would try to shove religion down my throat. I'd hit her with hard questions that should have made her think about it but instead she just got flustered and huffy.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Belcastro
whell theres a difference when you pray repeatedly to saints and virgin mary (jesus said to not do this specifically.)

Sometimes prayers are answered. but you have to ask yourself if those prayers are worth being answered also.

just the other day i was praying to God and he made it rain on me without any clouds in the sky, i was baffled.
It has to be on the same level of jesus praying on the mountain; and he may not respond in a way that you'd Understand.

Once, one of the first people to widespread the Bible in languages other than latin was excuted by A king; and his last words were asking the Lord to open the Kings eyes. Three years later the same king authorized a New Translation of the bible from the original languages.

Jesus said to pray to your father in secret and your father hears you in secret.

Behold, the LORD'S hand is not so short That it cannot save; Nor is His ear so dull That it cannot hear. But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, And your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear.

In order to overcome this; One must be heavily studied in the Bible; and Be as least of a sinner as you can.
of course we all make mistakes, and God is said to be the most merciful and Forgiving entity in all of existence;

As Christians we are Called to lead by example, and to follow in the footsteps of christ, and try to live a life as he did as much as we can. and if you truly try your hardest, then it will be worth it.

You have to love your enemies, do good to those that do you harm, forgive others of their trespasses, When struck you must turn the other cheek as well. Not many people can actually do this. So, i would say that its both. Sacreligious and Completely in line with the Religion. it just depends on who you are, by means of what you've done, and what your asking God.

It doesn't matter who you are praying to, the fact is that you are asking God, who is all knowing and has planned all your events in your life, to change something just because you don't like it. You are essentially telling him he's wrong even though he is all knowing. That to me sounds sacrilegious, what do you think about that?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
No.
If though, you are praying selfishly, asking for things like a greedy bustard it might be!

For example:

You pray for your Dad not to die because he has cancer. You are essentially saying to an all knowing God "sorry your plans suck, do by bidding my instead"

What about that?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Im not exactly sure what part of it is sacrilegious

Ask and ye shall receive... right?

As others have said, if you're praying just to ask for material things... its kinda pointless

I believe prayer is more asking for spiritual things...

Guidance... strength at times... perhaps forgiveness...

Ye know?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

God's plans do suck. I could do a better job.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

It doesn't matter who you are praying to, the fact is that you are asking God, who is all knowing and has planned all your events in your life, to change something just because you don't like it. You are essentially telling him he's wrong even though he is all knowing. That to me sounds sacrilegious, what do you think about that?

Oh God is so omnipotent. Where in the bible does it say that?
Oh God is so omniscient. Again Where?

god is all knowing and has a plan for you.

The Bible says God has a plan for those who are in the book of life Before the foundation of the world.
Obviously, Not Everybody is written in this book.
Common misconception: God does not Unconditionally Love you.

In The bible God Takes Away his unfailing Love and Mercy.

You CAN Ask God to Change something Because you dont like it;Just because you want him to change something doesn't make him wrong in anyway....He could have a million different roads or paths you could walk that would lead you to your destination.

A Good example is the story of lot; of Sodom and Gomorrah...

Then the Lord said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”

Here we see in the above an example of God not being so all knowing.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Belcastro

Support for God's omnipotence is found in the name he gives himself when he appeared to Abram in Genesis 17:1

When Abram was ninety-nine years old the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, “I am God Almighty (El Shaddai)"; walk before me, and be blameless

and also in the title (El Elyon [God Most High]) given him by Melchizedek in Genesis 14:17

The explanation for passages like Genesis 18:21 and 22:12 in regard to omniscience is that "know" has a variety of meanings biblically. In this case "know" is used in the same way as it is in a sexual encounter. In formally stating his intention of going to Sodom he is explaining that what was intellectual knowledge will become experiential knowledge.

To the OP:

Prayer serves God
And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day. Luke 2:37

Jesus said to pray
And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint. Luke 18:1

Failing to pray has consequences
You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. James 4:2

It is God's will
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16–18

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Prayer is for the person doing the praying. Not for the "all-knowing" deity being prayed to.
There is nothing sacrilegious about it. It is done in acknowledgement and obedience to said deity. Reading the text of the bible, and/or any other religious text that talks about prayer, clearly paints this overrall picture.

Analyzing your own prayers in hindsight will teach you much about yourself.

edit on 7/16/2014 by Klassified because: punctuation

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Oh God is so omnipotent. Where in the bible does it say that?

“Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns!” (Revelation 19:6)

But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (Matthew 19:26)

For nothing will be impossible with God.” (Luke 1:37)

“Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me? (Jeremiah 32:27)

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. ( Isaiah 40:28)

Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure. ( Psalm 147:5)

“I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. ( Job 42:2)

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.” ( Mark 10:27)

Oh God is so omniscient. Again Where?

“Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You” (Psalm 139:12)

The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? “I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve.” (Jeremiah 17:9-10)

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

“there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account” (Hebrews 4:13).

These things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. (1 Corinthians 2:10)

Declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’ (Isaiah 46:10)

god is all knowing and has a plan for you.

My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. ( Proverbs 3:1-35)

Calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it. (Isaiah 46:11)

Common misconception: God does not Unconditionally Love you.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; (1 Corinthians 13:1-13)

So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. (1 John 4:16)

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, (Ephesians 2:8)

I haven't been a religious person for 8yrs but I still recall that the bible taught about God being omnipotent, omniscient, that he has a plan for us & that he has unconditional love for us. What's your excuse?
edit on 17-7-2014 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
No.

For example:

You pray for your Dad not to die because he has cancer. You are essentially saying to an all knowing God "sorry your plans suck, do by bidding my instead"

What about that?

Well I don't really have an answer for that, but it will try.

I don't think you are insulting God by asking for guidance. This much is welcomed and encouraged.

Asking for somebody not to die, isn't realistic, although this may seem unfair to the one asking. I think we can prove medical advancements are the leading reason more lives are saved. God isn't going around saving people, although there are many who will attest prayer really helped.

You could most certainly pray for your father to feel some comfort and peace. Pray for your family to heal. In this instance you are thinking of another, rather than yourself. What is the true motive you do not want your father to die? Is it because you don't want your father gone from your life, or is it because you really want him to carry on, because you think he wants this? Most often this would be both reasons, sometimes it is only one.

It depends on how you are perceiving what life is about.
I don't really think my life was planned. We may have a destiny, but in the end it comes down to fate, from our own choices, some of which may not have been wise. If you want to be an Indy race car driver, there's a good chance this will shorten your life. If you're going to ski out of bounds and ignore the warning signs posted not to do so, you risk being killed by an avalanche, amongst other scenarios. If you stand in a puddle of water and stick a fork in the toaster, expect to be electrocuted.

Well anyways , that's my opinion.
Others are bound to disagree.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
If the God actually invites prayer, as in the Christian case, it cannot be called sacrilegious.
Prayer is not attempting to change God's decision; it's asking for something to be taken into consideration during the decision-making process.
Since God knows all the prayers we're going to make, he can incorporate them into his planning in advance.

I'm looking at an example of that in an upcoming thread; this sets out to show how Paul's prayer (mentioned at the beginning of Romans) to be allowed to visit Rome was fulfiilled by the aid of a number of factors, including some that were in place before he was born.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Prayer is for asking God to help YOU to become more at peace with HIS will.

"THY kingdom come, THY will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven"

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   

My question to those who pray (whatever religion you belong to), do you think that prayer is sacrilegious?

It's not sacrilegious to pray to god, any more than it would be praying to Leprechauns.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
What is called the Lords prayer is one of the most misinterpreted new testimony scriptures.It is NOT a prayer at all.As is most of the things that were recorded of what Yahoshua said he was making a proclamation statement.He clearly prefaced it with DO NOT's...in others words just like EVERYTHING else the Jew had it ALL wrong!(and that has carried over to the present).

It is ludicrous to believe that the creator God does not have knowledge of EVERYTHING down to the minutest detail.It is the height of foolishness to believe anything you can"ask" will somehow influence the creator God decision about any action.True prayer in effect is a one way communication of the creator God "revealing " something to you.Talking to the creator God is not prayer...it is talking to the creator God.Prayer is ALL hearing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join