It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long do you want to live?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I assume nobody wants to die prematurely, me included. But how long do you want to live if premature death doesn't sadly shorten your life?

If the answer is "as long as possible", then I am not sure I am on the same page as you. Now why is that so?

As long as I am physically and mentally functioning in an independent manner, I am happy to be alive. As long as I am not suffering from chronic pain or disability, I am happy to be alive. As long as my mind is relatively sharp, my memory retaining knowledge of who I am and have been, I am happy to be alive.

I was looking at an obituary page in my city's newspaper, and I noticed that a lot of the people who had passed away were in their 90's. Modern medicine is wonderful. But how many of these people were fully functioning humans in the last several years leading up to their deaths. Muscles and brain cells seem to have a shelf life that makes it unlikely that most of these people were fully functioning.

My recent lab results say I am very healthy for a person about to become a so-called senior in 2 months. This is good news for the quality of my life over the next several years. But I don't want to live so long that I have to live in an assisted setting, with my independence and possibly my mind gone, or at least significantly diminished.

So I want life, as long as I am healthy, mentally sharp, and lead an independent life. How about you?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Same.

Cept' maybe throw in "still have sex" in there somewhere. Of course, that's probably just my fairly young 30ish mind at work. It's hard at this point to imagine a world without women.

For sure the mentally sharp and independent aspect comes to mind. Also being physically able to still do something whether it be a hobby or job.
edit on 16-7-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

I don't want to feel like I'm being 'put out to pasture' either.

I wanted to see my kids grown (check)
I wanted to do something positive in my work (check)

I wouldn't mind the opportunity to build something that'll last before punching out ... but, at this point I'm satisfied even if that doesn't become a reality.

I wouldn't mind becoming a grandparent, but my darned kids aren't helping.

For now, I'm content keeping my wife company. She's afraid of being left behind.

Interesting thread. This'll be one to watch for awhile.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Doesn't matter how long you want to live. Just be aware of being alive. You're still going to die and nobody knows when. Maybe, with technology, thousands of years. Maybe before you finish this sentence.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
18 is enough for me.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
18 is enough is a bs answer.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

"I'm going to die at 18"- 16 year old

10 years later...

"I'm going to die at 28"- 26 year old

10 years later...

"I'm going to die at 18"- Son/Daughter of the now 36 year old

"Trust me, you're not."- 36 year old

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I assume nobody wants to die prematurely,

That's quite an assumption. Don't believe everyone feels the same way you do. Perhaps some feel that this place is the equivalent of hell and would prefer something else.

Personally I could care less. Before I came to this place there was nothing. Hopefully after I leave this place there will be nothing also.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Not worried about it .. enjoying the journey ..

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Agree entirely with your thoughts...

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I don't want to live to old age. I'm already all the things you mentioned, that would be the reasons, to not live until 90. I'm only 54. I don't fancy another 40 years of this. I've really had enough. Fortunately I don't wear diapers. That's a real bonus.

It won't be long before my kids put me out to pasture in a nursing home. So I would rather die at home first.

I don't really care. I could go in five minutes. That will be ok. See you guys around

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
it would suck to die today and disclosure happens tomorrow

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I've prayed to God to either cure me or take me now. He does neither.
With that in mind .... How long do I want to live?
With my health like this .... I've wanted to leave years ago.
If I were to be suddenly cured ... I'd want to live as long as I could be healthy of mind and body.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I want to live long enough to see;
A zombie apocalypse
An honest politician
A cloned woolly mammoth

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I want to live long enough to see;
A zombie apocalypse
An honest politician
A cloned woolly mammoth
a reply to: beezzer

I'm sure you will see a cloned woolly mammoth before ever seeing an honest politician. That's a fairy-tale.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I also only want to live if I am relatively healthy and can still think. I can't see suffering through alzheimer disease, not knowing who I really am. I have seen some people actually get more friendly with Alzheimer disease, while others get cranky. No matter, they aren't who they were anymore.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

I'm only 54. I don't fancy another 40 years of this.

Q. Who wants to live to 94?

A. 93 year olds.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm in my twenties and feel as if I've had enough of this life (it has been a mostly good life) so now would be fine with me. That said I would hate to die in a undignified way like if I got into a motorcycle accident and was flattened like roadkill or anything overly painful.
edit on 16-7-2014 by Strayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well considering I believe in reincarnation, I could die tomorrow, and still would be back eventually.

Personally though, I want to live as long as my mind can function consciously.

If I stroke out and am on life support, pull the plug, otherwise, I'll live as long as I possibly can.

For those who think they have lived long enough...

You have nothing to lose then by making some changes and doing the things you have always wanted to do but couldn't.
Live like you are dying, because we could all be gone tomorrow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join