It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'World's First' Recreational Marijuana Advertisement

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

yes they would rather a legal heroin addict than a pot head lol .
i am not suggesting you are a heroin addict!
what does it say on the packet you must not operate heavy machinery or vehicles
(UNTIL) you know how it will affect you so can i get high on drugs like these and cause an accident without getting tested for it but if they get a positive for thc watch out that is not approved and payed for

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMAMOG

Morphine is addictive as hell. I never want to go there. It also upsets my digestion system. But it is all they have for me. So I generally don't use it unless I have to.

Just so much hypocritical BS.

P

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

I have nothing against the idea of marijuana being legal, although I sincerely disagree with advertising such products, just as I believe advertisements of alcohol and cigarettes should be illegal, as well as some over-the-counter medicines. Marijuana might not be as bad or addictive as previously mentioned, yet it either isn´t a healthy product and should not be something everybody uses. Who wants can buy it, but I do not believe it should be advertised, so the amount of people buying it would grow.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
There's no point nevermind
edit on 1620140720141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: IXIXI
as someone who was a medicinal marijuana user for the past 7 years I really have to disagree. I've been sober for 5 months as I work towards my goal of becoming a firefighter and let me tell you 95% of the people who i knew with a medical license were just plain potheads, the other 5% had LEGIT reasons such as disease and disorders which the plant helped considerably. not about $$

I have a quick question for you. You're a pot head (admitted in the first line. It made you IDK, less than you could be. And now I'd like to ask: who died and made you moral arbiter of the Universe?

Good that you 'saved' yourself. But I'd suggest what you have is an "opinion". Good for about a cup of coffee, minus the liquid part.

Now, I don't partake of anything but fruits, veggies and fish, etc. so a world full of people of like mind would be ok with me.

Take care; and try to get your head around the idea, arcane that it is of 'Minding your own business'.

Thanks for your post.

To give an OT reply, I think the commercial, though well meaning is basically worthless. It preaches to the believers and makes the opposed angry.

We ALL know that Booze kills and Dope, well might make some people dopy. But it's also encouraging Law Enforcement to have a go at, well, being employed. They don't want it gone, because then they'd be guarding crosswalks and have to give up all that Tacticool gear.

edit on 16-7-2014 by Maverick7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: OpenEars123

The current figures show that 1 in 3 uk resident between 18 and 45 in the UK use recreational drugs, this leaves two thirds of the population to go to the shop for chocolate and chicken and pizza .... oh and some of those things we had before... those crunchy potato things ... and pizza

I digress if the lobby is sucessfull anywhere it would be a disaster, who would go to the shops then?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Well what chance is there of having a balanced debate when you have a passionate, and biased mod on board?

No way marijuana is all rainbows and butterflies. I'm not going to say it's in the same league as Alcohol, but it's definitely possible to become addicted, and stagnate, at a minimum.

Back to the commercial. I don't have anything against people consuming whatever they like, per say, but this commercial is just dumb. First pot commercial in the world, and they blew it! So many ways to make an awesome pot ad, and this one is just lame.

All commercials are dumb. Pot is no exception. Expect more the same.

I'm sure you can find studies that say pot is awesome, but you can also find some showing the real dangers from it. It stains your teeth, and you think your lungs are going to be a-okay? Yea, no way. If I'm recalling correctly, it has 4-5 times the carcinogens than your average cigarette by weight. Smoke a lot, every day, of high quality, and you'll eventually have messed lungs. Have a potential for psychosis? It's only so long before that becomes realized from pot.

Stains your teeth? Source? You do realize that marijuana can be eaten right? It doesn't have to be smoked.

Your 4-5 times the carcinogens than a cigarette is complete BS. That is just old propaganda slung by the Just Say No campaign. You should update your knowledge of marijuana. Also psychosis? That's also not true. Most people who fly off the handle when taking drugs (especially marijuana) would be predisposed to do it anyways even if they weren't high.

I've known so many people who finally succumb to paranoia, depression, or just a bit too much anxiety on it, where it's no longer fun, and they have to quit. Usually late 20's or into the 30's for potheads. Some can keep it up all their lives. No problem with that. I'm not going to be a fool and say that it's a drug without side effects. That's just silly.

Of course it has side effects. It gets you high. Who said it doesn't have side effects?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I'm all for legalization but the commercial was horrible. Maybe I need to be stoned to enjoy it?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: IXIXI

It's no better than alcohol except for the fact that you don't have marijuana related overdose deaths and stoned drivers killing people every night after 2am when the clubs close and the drunks pile in their cars.

Those are pretty big except for's...

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Would be great to go to the local shop and buy such wonderful products legally here in the UK...

It would save me a great deal of money in air fares instead of having to fly to Amsterdam 3 or 4 times year to purchase the relaxant I require over the counter without having to look over my shoulder...

But then again I would still go to Amsterdam anyway, my favourite home from home......

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: IXIXI

If every American would start to smoke pot and making it "the norm" in our already frayed society it will hurt the younger kids who are in school watching their older brothers/sisters/relatives/peers getting stoned and saying hey its OK it's legal now, come alter your state of mind! Smoking pot changes your behavior, I don't want a mass of lazy unmotivated stoners who would rather roll up some joints than crack open their books and study to get good grades and have a shot at a good college education.

You could say the same of alcohol. Of everything we put into our body it is the weed that is going to finally keep us from our studies and our jobs? Not likely. MOST people use alcohol relatively responsibly and still manage to get themselves to work the next day. I highly doubt weed would be the straw that broke the camels back.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Cannabis smoking may have a greater potential than tobacco smoking to cause lung cancer 1–4. Cannabis smoke is qualitatively similar to tobacco smoke, although it contains up to twice the concentration of the carcinogenic polyaromatic hydrocarbons 1. Cannabis cigarettes are less densely packed than tobacco cigarettes, and tend to be smoked without filters 2 to a smaller butt size 3, leading to higher concentrations of smoke inhaled. Furthermore, smokers of cannabis inhale more deeply and hold their breath for longer 4, facilitating the deposition of the carcinogenic products in the lower respiratory tract. These factors are likely to be responsible for the five-fold greater absorption of carbon monoxide from a cannabis joint, compared with a tobacco cigarette of similar size despite similar carbon monoxide concentrations in the smoke inhaled
Cannabis use and risk of lung cancer: a case–control study

The abstract makes it quite clear what the outcome of this is:

In total, 79 cases of lung cancer and 324 controls were included in the study. The risk of lung cancer increased 8% (95% confidence interval (CI) 2–15) for each joint-yr of cannabis smoking, after adjustment for confounding variables including cigarette smoking, and 7% (95% CI 5–9) for each pack-yr of cigarette smoking, after adjustment for confounding variables including cannabis smoking. The highest tertile of cannabis use was associated with an increased risk of lung cancer (relative risk 5.7 (95% CI 1.5–21.6)), after adjustment for confounding variables including cigarette smoking.

In conclusion, the results of the present study indicate that long-term cannabis use increases the risk of lung cancer in young adults.

That's from 2008. Is that fresh enough for you? Here's one from but a few months ago:

The link between cannabis use and psychosis comprises three distinct relationships: acute psychosis associated with cannabis intoxication; acute psychosis that lasts beyond the period of acute intoxication; and persistent psychosis not time-locked to exposure. Experimental studies reveal that cannabis, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and synthetic cannabinoids reliably produce transient positive, negative, and cognitive symptoms in healthy volunteers. Case studies indicate that cannabinoids can induce acute psychosis that lasts beyond the period of acute intoxication but resolves within a month. Exposure to cannabis in adolescence is associated with a risk for later psychotic disorder in adulthood; this association is consistent, temporally related, shows a dose response, and is biologically plausible. However, cannabis is neither necessary nor sufficient to cause a persistent psychotic disorder. More likely, it is a component cause that interacts with other factors to result in psychosis. The link between cannabis and psychosis is moderated by age at onset of cannabis use, childhood abuse, and genetic vulnerability. While more research is needed to better characterize the relationship between cannabinoid use and the onset and persistence of psychosis, clinicians should be mindful of the potential risk of psychosis, especially in vulnerable populations, including adolescents and those with a psychosis diathesis
Link

Don't throw up a strawman. I never said marijuana outright caused psychosis, I said it became an eventual result and reason why some people I know had to quit. It's a factor in the genesis of some psychotic events that unfold in susceptible individuals. There is no way that I'm aware of, for knowing with certainty that this would or would not be an eventual outcome without marijuana. What I observe, and the data clearly shows, is that disproportionately, regular cannabis consumers end up going a bit psychotic.
edit on 16-7-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Ok.

I'm sure you can find studies that say pot is awesome, but you can also find some showing the real dangers from it. It stains your teeth, and you think your lungs are going to be a-okay? Yea, no way.

Smoking any kind of substances stains your teeth as well as ruins your lungs. This has nothing to do with MJ specifically, it's a known and quite well accepted side effect of, wait for it *smoking*.

If I'm recalling correctly, it has 4-5 times the carcinogens than your average cigarette by weight.

You recall wrong.

Please See This Peer Reviewed Paper There are many others I can reference.

Smoke a lot, every day, of high quality, and you'll eventually have messed lungs. Have a potential for psychosis? It's only so long before that becomes realized from pot.

The high quality your pot, the less issues you will have. This is combination of strain, plus time spent growing it properly, and nothing to actually do with just being pot. Again, the Lungs issue is the result of *smoking*.

Please site your research.

As for Psychosis, please review THIS STUDY, published in MAY 2014.

Source

Which found:

There was an increased morbid risk for schizophrenia in relatives of the cannabis using and non-using patient samples compared with their respective non-psychotic control samples. There was no significant difference in morbid risk for schizophrenia between relatives of the patients who use or do not use cannabis.There was no significant difference in morbid risk for schizophrenia between relatives of the patients who use or do not use cannabis

A 2nd source more recent: Published in an official journal.

www.schres-journal.com...(14)00193-5/abstract

Showing NO increase in this area.

~Tenth
edit on 7/16/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

That's ridiculous claim that the higher quality, the less issues. The higher quality strains have desirable affects because they're more psychoactive, plain and simple.

Few people prefer high CBD strains, most prefer high THC strains. I'm sure you must be aware, THC is a psychoactive substance that promotes psychosis in susceptible individuals, where as CBD actually prevents it.

People don't trip out from smoking shwag. They trip out from the higher quality strains. High CBD is found in shwag more often. It's rarely found in the "higher quality" stuff.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

That's ridiculous claim that the higher quality, the less issues. The higher quality strains have desirable affects because they're more psychoactive, plain and simple.

That is ENTIRELY dependent on strain. Not all of them are psychoactive. Many in fact, are not.

THC is a psychoactive substance that promotes psychosis in susceptible individuals, where as CBD actually prevents it.

Please read the quoted studies above.

And this one.

A 2nd source more recent: Published in an official journal.

Published Study.

Showing NO increase in this area.

People don't trip out from smoking shwag. They trip out from the higher quality strains. High CBD is found in shwag more often. It's rarely found in the "higher quality" stuff.

People don't *trip* most of the time at all, it's called the PLACEBO effect. People acting way higher than they actually are because of an environmental stimulus. Not the drugs themselves.

Again, read the research I posted above.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Canadian ? I didn't know pot for recreation even selling seeds were legal in Canada.

I think the ad sucks. I'd have made a much better ad. They spend over 3/4's of the time for the ad Not talking about the Product itself. Thats a Big NO NO in the advertising business.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Don't trip? Don't trip? From high quality... you ever heard of super silver haze?

People trip on cannabis... they DO!!

I'm incapable of looking through your source, only observing the abstract without paying.

My sources provide the full document to inspect the methodology.

Here is my 3rd full article to reference, and link:

A high dose of D9-tetrahydrocannabinol, the main Cannabis sativa (cannabis) component, induces anxiety and psychotic-like symptoms in healthy volunteers. These effects of D9-tetrahydrocannabinol are significantly reduced by cannabidiol (CBD), a cannabis constituent which is devoid of the typical effects of the plant. This observation led us to suspect that CBD could have anxiolytic and/or antipsychotic actions
Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug

That should make it perfectly clear once and for all. High THC low CBD strains provide an overall psychotic-like effect. High CBD low THC (which is rare in strains sold commercially for big monies) is an overall antipsychotic effect. I wonder why we can say antipsychotic outright, but only psychotic-like, meh..

Now, someone intaking high quality commercial ganja, on a regular basis, will be at a higher risk than the average joe not partaking. I have common sense, I can put two and two together. You take in your average low quality ganja which is the reverse, usually low thc, high CBD, and you'll maybe be okay to toke for life and not have an increased risk, it could lower your risk of developing psychosis! Doesn't mean it's not still putting you at higher risk for lung cancer. It is. Trying to down play this by saying it's just something you smoke, isn't cool.

Like I said initially, it's definitely got some medicinal properties to it, but it's not all rainbows and butterflies. I'm not a fool, and do have common sense to look passed those who would really want to highlight it's properties, and lie through their teeth about the potential consequences. I'm all for it being legal, and people choosing what they want to consume, but not going to lie to people in the process of trying to push an agenda of legalization.

edit on 16-7-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

All my sources posted, the 3 studies show that are indeed risks. The psychosis issue however is still being debated, as there is conflicting research.

Personally, I work in the medical field when it comes to MJ and I don't intend on over going into a recreational model for my business even if it did become legal, as I am not interested in serving stoners. I provide medicine to those in need.

The carcinogen thing tho isn't true, you have to admit that.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Cannabis doesn't make you trip. Even really top shelf, high quality stuff. It just doesn't. People with no tolerance who eat a cannabis edible that's meant to be consumed in separate doses sometimes have difficult experiences, but you'd hardly characterize it as a trip if you had any real familiarity whatsoever with either cannabis or hallucinogens.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Psychosis, eh? If we're going to start throwing mental illness around, let's consider the context of such a claim. We live in a society with so many questionable (put mildly) customs and mores, it makes me wonder if our culture is psychotic unto itself. Let's not go throwing stones in glass houses, in other words.

Whenever I hear people start spewing "crazy", my eyes glaze over a little and roll a bit. There's a diagnosis for everything.

Still, using cannabis isn't going to make you think you're Jesus unless you were already a little (legitimately) touched-in-the-head to begin with.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join