It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group wins case to sell Confederate license plates in Texas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well here's a new one.

Looks like a group in Texas has actually won (for now) a case to be able to sell "specialty" license plates that bear the old Confederate Flag !!

Apparently this was denied by the Texas DMV and in a lower court and now over turned on appeal.

It's the 1st Amendment again isn't it?

AUSTIN — A Southern heritage group defeated Texas on Monday, celebrating a court decision expected to force Texas to issue license plates adorned with the Confederate battle flag.

A federal appeals panel ruled 2-1 that the Department of Motor Vehicles had violated the Sons of Confederate Veterans’ free speech rights and engaged in “viewpoint discrimination” when it rejected its specialty plate in 2011.

The judgment rekindled a loud debate among those who say the symbol honors Confederate heritage and others who see it as racially offensive and hurtful.

An attorney for the Texas chapter, John McConnell, said the ruling reaffirms that “the government cannot step into an issue and silence one side while endorsing the viewpoint of the other side.”

Group wins case to sell Confederate license plates in Texas

“viewpoint discrimination”

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
In the UK we have strict (often flaunted) licence plate laws, it may start something.
Just a thought

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
A official state license plate should not be covered under free speech. Vanity plates? Sure! Not state plates.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Imagine all the up roar if a group won a case that allowed them to sell license plates with the Mexican flag on them.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Lot's-n-Lot's to choose from:

TEXAS Specialty License Plates

-
DISCLOSURE: I Like the ... NATIVE TEXAN

edit on 15-7-2014 by FarleyWayne because: "NATIVE TEXAN"

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Imagine that if people actually knew what the civil war was about ?

Yeah them evil southerns that didn't lay down for the federal government, and actually fought for STATE RIGHTS.

Their reason has been deemed 'misguided' by todays standards.

But everyone living today can figure out why they actually picked up their arms to fight their oppressors of the time.

Right or wrong.

They actually acted like Americans, and drew a line in the sand, and said 'You SHALL NOT PASS'.

edit on 15-7-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The amount of stars on the Confederate flag is equal to the IQ of the people who wave it proudly.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: countingdown
In the UK we have strict (often flaunted) licence plate laws, it may start something.
Just a thought

In the U.K. you have seen plates with Jamaican, Indian, Pakistan. Irish, EU etc flags on them i am sure?
The DVLA doesn't give a toss on what you put on a plate it would seem.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: rupertg

So what is the IQ of people who wave this flag around ?

Amazing that our ancestors fought two wars for freedom and independence, and today we are no closer to either one.

The only thing that they did was trade one slave master for another one.

As the Stars and Stripes is the alpha, and omega in this country.

Land of the free, and home of the brave has been usurped by better living through government give them all your money, and give them your votes.

A slave to the state.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

RE: the confederate flag being offensive....its that whole "symbol minded" argument.

But...it is not a Texas flag. We weren't a Dixie state.

What pisses me off is that my state has a solid history, including its history as a sovereign nation. The "stars and bars" of the confederate flag are a graft into our culture.

Its as stupid as stupid can get.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

this one would suit me:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Texas reminds me of Arizona sometimes.

"Don't tell us we can't", even if it doesn't make a whole lotta sense

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
While the right outcome, maybe the state shouldn't be in the business of endorsing any specialty plate.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Designed by the chairman of the Flag and Seal committee, William Porcher Miles, a now popular variant of the Confederate flag was rejected as the national flag in 1861.

It was instead adopted as a battle flag by the Army of Northern Virginia under General Lee. Despite never having historically represented the CSA as a country nor officially recognized as one of the national flags, it is commonly referred to as "the Confederate Flag" and has become a widely recognized symbol of the South.

It is also known as the rebel flag, Dixie flag, and Southern cross and is often incorrectly referred to as the "Stars and Bars" (the actual "Stars and Bars" is the first national flag, which used an entirely different design

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Well now, there's something to be proud of.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I think our (next TEXAS Governor) Attorney General Greg Abbott likes:

"COME AND TAKE IT".

As Evidenced By:

Texas AG Abbott to BLM: 'Come and Take It'

edit on 15-7-2014 by FarleyWayne because: TEXAS Is Like ... No Other Place On Earth.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

They actually acted like Americans, and drew a line in the sand, and said 'You SHALL NOT PASS'.

I'm pretty sure they made black people draw the actual line itself.

Like it or not, they had slaves and slavery is evil. All the rest of it that was justified about states rights and seceding is awesome but it doesn't matter how awesome you are if you own a slave. If they weren't self-entitled elitists who forced others do their work for them, they would have some sympathy in hindsight but... c'mon.

If a person cured cancer and saved the world but still had slaves, he would still only be a piece of crap slaver to me. There's not much lower on the piece-of-garbage scale than a slaver.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

So what part that WE ALL are slaves now ?

But that is totally acceptable.

Is someone missing.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Some of the founding fathers of the country owned slaves. It was not always just in the deep South.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Cuervo

So what part that WE ALL are slaves now ?

But that is totally acceptable.

Is someone missing.

What?! I honestly don't know what your are saying.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join