It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Thor” Will Be A Woman In A New Marvel Comics Series

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
“Thor” Will Be A Woman In A New Marvel Comics Series

Marvel Entertainment announced on Tuesday that Thor will be re-launched in the comics with a woman as the title hero.

As first revealed on The View, the character will be separate from the man who had been Thor — a title which, in the Marvel Universe, is designated by whomever proves worthy to hold Thor’s hammer, Mjölnir.

“This is not She-Thor,” said series writer Jason Aaron in a statement. “This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor. This is the Thor of the Marvel Universe.” Aaron, who has also written for the Marvel Comics title Thor: God of Thunder, is working with artist Russell Dauterman (Cyclops) on the series, which will launch in October.

Marvel Comics editor Wil Moss also emphasized that the new Thor “is not a temporary female substitute — she is now the one and only Thor.”

The decision by Marvel to recast one of its most iconic characters as a woman could prove controversial with some fans, similar to the protest of Marvel’s decision in 2011 to recast Spider-Man in the comics as a half-black, half-Hispanic teenager named Miles Morales.

But it is also a noteworthy expansion of Marvel’s comic book canon to include another female hero, a fact Marvel trumpeted in their release — and likely why the decision was first announced on The View. This will be only Marvel’s eighth female lead character, a group which also includes such notable characters as Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Elektra, and She-Hulk.

The decision, meanwhile, is unlikely to affect the Marvel Studios movies in the near future, which have featured Chris Hemsworth as Thor. (A rep for the studio did not immediately return a request for comment.)

Now I'm not a comic book fan but I'm pretty sure there are going to be lots of fans who are livid with this decision. People were mad when they made Spider Man half black, half Hispanic so I'm sure people will want heads to roll for this change.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal (both about Thor being a female now and the Spider Man being a mix of black & Hispanic) and that it is a nice change of pace. Most of the original comics were published when there wasn't as much of an acceptance for African Americans & Hispanics. Marvel is just getting with the times. If they already have LGBTQ+ superheros why not a female Thor & a mixed race Spider Man?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think people are just afraid of change is all, they have this image of there favorite super hero and then they go and change it completely. Not a big deal to me though.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Very cool! This will be the second woman to wield the Hammer; the first being Wonder Woman in the Amalgam Universe (Marvel/DC crossover series)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

This is cool.

Most mainstream female super heroines are pretty lame save for Wonder Woman.

Lets just hope this character doesn't end up stuffed and dead in a refrigerator.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shepard64
I think people are just afraid of change is all, they have this image of there favorite super hero and then they go and change it completely. Not a big deal to me though.

"In the middle of my back swing!!!" hahaha great avatar.

I agree that people don't like change. I wonder what other changes will be made in the future?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
What a load of........

If they want a new female character why not create one?

Ah... what the hell, it's their product, let them do as they will.

I dispair for modern society.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Why call her Thor?
That's the only issue I have with a woman wielding mjolner.
Others in the 616 have. Beta Ray Bill prime example...yet they were never Thor.

Marvel is really swirling the stinkhole lately. Killing the Watcher, Steve Rogers' super soldier serum quits working...the thing with Fury was kinda creative, but...with all of these alternative universe and crap like the x-men from the past being in the present persistently...

Peeyew

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: EzekielsWheel
Very cool! This will be the second woman to wield the Hammer; the first being Wonder Woman in the Amalgam Universe (Marvel/DC crossover series)

She will be the fourth Wonder Woman was the third. Storm and Rouge have also used Thor's hammer.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

I don't see what the problem is.

I enjoy alternates to classic comic books. Like reading canon fanfiction.

Like Marvel Zombies.

Best.#.Ever.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

This is stupid incarnate.

Thor is not a female, thor was never a female. Thor is the son of Odin, the all father. This story line is older than recorded human history.

Thor is a guy, not a girl. Just because someone uses the hammer does not make them the guy named thor, that is retarded.

I understand them wanting to have another female super hero, why not create one? No no no, the only thing that makes sense is to take one of the oldest known stories on earth and rewrite it.

Hey guys, Jesus was a girl, there was never a boy named Jesus. Hercules and Achilles were her best friends from back in college at Brown.
They all wanted to marry a rich silicon valley guy.

This is just as stupid as the above move.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: oblvion

This is stupid incarnate.

Thor is not a female, thor was never a female. Thor is the son of Odin, the all father. This story line is older than recorded human history.

Thor is a guy, not a girl. Just because someone uses the hammer does not make them the guy named thor, that is retarded.

I understand them wanting to have another female super hero, why not create one? No no no, the only thing that makes sense is to take one of the oldest known stories on earth and rewrite it.

Hey guys, Jesus was a girl, there was never a boy named Jesus. Hercules and Achilles were her best friends from back in college at Brown.
They all wanted to marry a rich silicon valley guy.

This is just as stupid as the above move.

As Rajesh Koothrappali once said, the Thor in the Marvel comics is not the same Thor as the one in Norse Mythology.

While yes I understand where you are coming from, with the above statement in mind, I see no problem in making the marvel comic book character a female. Sure they will have to change the story a bit but that happens with other characters too.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: oblvion

Maybe Odin finally accepted Thor for who he is...a transgender God

not that theirs anything wrong with that

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If this is a major problem for you then may I suggest you start reading some books without pictures.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Now that makes no sense at all. In a few generations they will have to change the history books because everyone will think Thor is a woman.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Wouldn't be the first time in history that the gender of a diety was changed.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Seriously lame. Thor is the son of Odin. If the writers want a woman superhero, then invent a new one with her own story line.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Archie was/is to be shot trying to save his gay friend.
Didn't know that comic delt with social issues.
Leave Thor alone, there are plenty of other female superheroes that should get a better push.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

This will definitely upset a whole group of Marvel comic's fan's whom will see it as outright and utter betrayal and the mangeling of an iconic character, Why could then not have simple made a character called Valkyria, after all the Valkyrie are daughters of Odin and Thor's sisters, they also Kick arse, Now hammer though but sword's bow's and spear's, they ride the storm cloud's like horse's.

And by that Token they are insulting a national Icon of Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, and even Germany, The comic did not do this but there are still people who follow the ancient norse religion even today, especially in Sweden and though they are a minority they will not take this kindly and the Hammer is a symbol of male fertility and seen as macho.

Now I am a christian so don't get me wrong and I was gutted when the BBC decided not the make the female time lord doctor who spin off and also decided not to make the doctor into a woman, mind you the sonic screw driver would have looked a little less appropriate especially with the Lady doctor whiping it our of her hand bad.

It sound's to me like this is just an excuse to produce a skimpy clothed female pin up character to appeal to teenager's and of course when she say's I am Thor, Well Hmm lad's mind's are unfortunately hard wired to interpret that in the wrong way.

Anyway Freia was a great character so why don't they make a spin off storyline in the Thor Universe instead based on her, she was as hard as Thor but far better looking (At least to one side of the coin).

Made me chuckle thank's for posting this.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Another reason to never buy another comic again, if marvel is so out of ideas this is all they can come up with they need to un-retire a few of the '90s era comic writers...

*poof* Thor is a woman... lame.. pathetic... piss poor writers, that apparently cant muster enough creative air to generate a fart its amazing they get paid to do this.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Now that makes no sense at all. In a few generations they will have to change the history books because everyone will think Thor is a woman.

As Rajesh Koothrappali once said, the Thor in the Marvel comics is not the same Thor as the one in Norse Mythology.

If people are stupid enough to think that Thor from the comic books is the same Thor from Norse mythology, then yes they will have to change the history books. However, if people recognize that what is a essentially a storybook character is not the Thor of Norse mythology, then rewriting history based on a current fictional story won't be necessary.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join