It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Magic Binding On The "Infallible" Bible

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If it were truly the word of 'God', why would we have to print it? Where one were needed, it would appear in the ashes of burnt offering, or could cut off of the Bible tree, or just pop out of thin air.

Perhaps the "infallible" aspect comes from the fact that the groups with the strongest armiest and the sharpest swords and loudest voices said so.

Garments of mixed cloth are the downfall of mankind! Cotton/Poly blends are the tool of Devil!

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

So if God inspired man to write the text….it's still the word of God and infallible, right?

No, it is not, because it is the product of man.

Literalists go through all sorts of mental gymnastics to account for, say, differences in the synoptic Gospels, while I see the differences as evidences of the texts originating from different people who were witnessing the same events, but saw them through their own eyes, as opposed to copying them from someone else. As Akragon points out, Mark and John differ on whether Christ was crucified before or after the Passover. Since it can't be both, one of them is obviously wrong, ergo a non-infallible text, but from my perspective, who cares?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: adjensen

As Akragon points out, Mark and John differ on whether Christ was crucified before or after the Passover. Since it can't be both, one of them is obviously wrong, ergo a non-infallible text, but from my perspective, who cares?

So true, a few errors made by men here and there does not change general agreement throughout the entire Bible that God is Love, Merciful, and Forgiving.

Psalm 103:8, Exodus 34:6, Deuteronomy 4:31, James 5:11, Nehemiah 9:17, Jeremiah 9:24, Joel 2:13, 2 Chronicles 30:9, Luke 6:36, 1 John 4:16,

and there are many more verses, I just wanted to show one verse in many different books of the Bible.

"Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful." - Luke 6:36

"For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." - Galatians 5:14

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The responses in this thread are awesome and it's a great discussion but we still haven't had anybody come on who believes in the bible's infallibility.

I know they are on ATS because there are people on here who judge others based on the bible and nobody in their right mind would do that based on something they didn't think was 100% literal. Right?

At least, I hope they wouldn't.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

There actually aren't as many literalists here that there have been in the past. I know of two who have left the site (hopefully because of free choice, I've been a bit concerned with their well being, personally, because of their passion for their faith.)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: adjensen

So if God inspired man to write the text….it's still the word of God and infallible, right?

No, it is not, because it is the product of man.

If the Bible is the product of man then it's fiction, myth and a control mechanism by BS religious figures
to garner and maintain power over the weak and stupid masses. It worked exceptionally well, didn't it?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

If the Bible is the product of man then it's fiction

You believe that men are incapable of writing non-fiction?

I would suggest that you avail yourself of Richard Bauckham's Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony. The Gospels (at least) were written by people who were there and saw what happened.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
So Cuervo are you suggesting all those church fathers, all the great theologians who have lived, all the great men of God have spent years of studying and learning the bible have wasted their time because the bible is what.
A simple book to understand
A simple book to put in practice
A simple book to read

I think mostly it is young Christians and the atheist who demand that christians believe the bible is infallible.
It was written by people, also it was written about people, people are in every walk of life, christians included, are fallible.

Christians in fact should be the first to be aware they are the most fallible, hence why they become Christians, they accept they are sinners.

And then what do you classify as mistakes, maybe they are not mistakes to us.

Its not that black and white, nothing is.

Are you sure this is not your opinion bubbling over into a point of view

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join