It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Robot "Big Dog" (aka LS3) Deployed to Field For First Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Google-owned Boston Dynamics has started testing its LS3 robot 'mule' out in the field and already soldiers have given the robot a name: 'Cujo'. 'Cujo' literally means 'dog from hell', which incidentally is not what Google's helpful robot looks like in the slightest, then again, who's going to argue with a troop of US marines. Boston Dynamics has been testing 'Cujo' out in Hawaii ,where soldiers will be putting the robot transport to the test, pushing its 20-mile range and making sure it can tackle the sorts of rugged terrain it was built for. Capable of self-righting, 'Cujo' can carry up to 400lbs of supplies and has enough fuel for a 20-mile mission lasting up to 24 hours.

Lots of news from Google today. Looks like some of these 'moonshots' are starting to pay off.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It seems we are just now breaking into the combination of flesh and technology with all these new innovations coming out of development and into practicality.

Very interesting to watch this develop and exciting for the future possibilities.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

Anyone wanting a civilian version when it comes to the market?

Hmm I'm sure that these will go from "helpful mules" to weaponized killers in no time looking at the way most military tech has went in the USA.

Robo hounds from Fahrenheit 451 anyone?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I wonder if there is some foreshadowed irony in that name. Didn't Cujo turn on his masters?

Seeing a field of these things moving toward you is the stuff of nightmares.

Yeah, a hundred pounds of gear and 300 pounds of smart gun.

TextWhile Boston Dynamics draws the line at creating robots that can kill, a campaign called 'Stop Killer Robots' is currently building momentum in its aim to ban all robots which have the ability to select a human target without external approval from a mortal, human soul.

This just kills me. Somehow I don't think the guy setting these things to "anything that moves" will be in possession of anything resembling a soul.

That said, if they could train this thing to climb a ladder, I'll take one on credit.
edit on 15-7-2014 by Quauhtli because: ...

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I wonder if they have managed to cut down on the noise it makes yet? I remember it being super noisy and i notice in that news clip there is no sound.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
I wonder if they have managed to cut down on the noise it makes yet? I remember it being super noisy and i notice in that news clip there is no sound.

It is quieter, but not quiet, yet. Prob needs to go all electric to be quiet. This is not made for stealth, it is to be used as a pack mule. Think of troops going in and securing the area, and the robotic mules bringing up the rear carrying supplies. This should lessen the amount that the soldiers themselves have to carry.

top topics

join