It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governor tells Iowans to ‘repent’ in official proclamation for Christian revival at Capitol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

On Tuesday, Branstad was also one of the speakers at the 11-hour Christian event.

The governor explained that his proclamation “was very much in line with the great tradition” that started with President George Washington.

Branstad thanked the attendees for encouraging those who served in public office to “follow God’s will.”

Iowa Lt. Gov. Kim Reynold (R) also spoke, praising the crowd for “standing up for our rights, and for individual liberties.”

The “If 7:14″ campaign sponsored by Iowa’s Family Leader asks everyone to set their cell phones to remind them to pray and repent each day at 7:14 a.m.

I'm ready to give a Theocracy a try. Praise Bob! Does anyone besides me see praying at 7:14 very similar to facing Mecca and praying during the day.

But....714's has a slightly different meaning for some of us.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Guess he forgot.. in america theres separation of church and state ..

Meh.. the religous loonytoons will always try to force their beliefs on others ..

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

... invite all Iowans who CHOOSE to join in the thoughtful prayer and humble repentance...

So don't CHOOSE to pray and your problem is solved. One politician fails to promote the anti-Christian agenda and people freak out. If it was Jewish prayer or Muslim prayer as long as it is positive I am fine with it even though I am not religious. Some people just choose to be angry.

ETA: No one is FORCING anyone to do anything.
edit on 2014/7/15 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Here are the KEY words you failed to comprehend!

On Tuesday, Branstad was also one of the speakers at the 11-hour Christian event.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

... invite all Iowans who CHOOSE to join in the thoughtful prayer and humble repentance...

So don't CHOOSE to pray and your problem is solved. One politician fails to promote the anti-Christian agenda and people freak out. If it was Jewish prayer or Muslim prayer as long as it is positive I am fine with it even though I am not religious. Some people just choose to be angry.

ETA: No one is FORCING anyone to do anything.

Pfft. Politicians don't often say things explicitly. Half of the juicy stuff is hidden in what they don't say, what they allude to, what they phrase noncommittally, and what they ignore. See how it's implied that being an upstanding citizen means you will do these things? Ergo, if you don't...then what kind of citizen are you? I'm willing to bet that if someone publicly refuses to do this, it will be met with a fair degree of hostility.

"Fair" being very loosely applied, of course.
edit on 15-7-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

What does the fact that it was a Christian gathering have to do with anything? I think you failed to comprehend every other word in the story!

From the source:

An official proclamation signed by Gov. Terry Branstad (R-IA) has called on Iowans to pray and repent on a daily basis.

In a public ceremony earlier this year, Branstad signed the proclamation ahead of a July 14 revival at the Iowa Capitol:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Terry E Branstad, as Governor of the State of Iowa, do hereby invite all Iowans who choose to join in the thoughtful prayer and humble repentance according to II Chronicles 7:14 in favor of our state and nation to come together on July 14, 2014.

So not as an individual, but AS GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF IOWA, he is endorsing a religion and promoting it's practice. Why was there an 11-hour Christian event at the capitol anyway?

edit on 2014-7-15 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

What does that have to do with anything? I think you failed to comprehend every other word in the story!

From the source:

An official proclamation signed by Gov. Terry Branstad (R-IA) has called on Iowans to pray and repent on a daily basis.

In a public ceremony earlier this year, Branstad signed the proclamation ahead of a July 14 revival at the Iowa Capitol:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Terry E Branstad, as Governor of the State of Iowa, do hereby invite all Iowans who choose to join in the thoughtful prayer and humble repentance according to II Chronicles 7:14 in favor of our state and nation to come together on July 14, 2014.

So not as an individual, but AS GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF IOWA, he is endorsing a religion and promoting it's practice. Why was there an 11-hour Christian event at the capitol anyway?

I think the freedom of religion and free speech clauses protect his ability to make such speeches, as long as he's not legislating anything. He's making suggestions, not changing the law.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

What does that have to do with anything? I think you failed to comprehend every other word in the story!

From the source:

I think the freedom of religion and free speech clauses protect his ability to make such speeches, as long as he's not legislating anything. He's making suggestions, not changing the law.

Far more than a speech. Look at the proclamation document. "State of Iowa" across the top, want to guess what's on the seal?

EDIT:

Here you go.

larger image

So yea a bit more than a speech. Also, a bit more than asking people to pray as it references 2 Chronicles 7:14. Hazard a guess what sort of meltdown would occur if a Governor did the same with ANY other religion?
edit on 2014-7-15 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I think these types of theocratic stunts will stop as soon as we end up with a few high-level politicians praising Satan, Allah, or Cthulhu and asking for their citizens to hold black mass or partake in Muslim holidays. When that happens, Christians will start supporting church/state separation.

What's good for the goose has never been acceptable for the gander when that gander isn't a Christian.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

From the source:

Far more than a speech. Look at the proclamation document. "State of Iowa" across the top, want to guess what's on the seal?

EDIT:

Here you go.

larger image

So yea a bit more than a speech. Also, a bit more than asking people to pray as it references 2 Chronicles 7:14. Hazard a guess what sort of meltdown would occur if a Governor did the same with ANY other religion?

I see the words "invite all Iowans who choose to join". That says to me that it's optional, and therefore not a violation of their rights. If you don't want to participate, then find something to occupy your time and let everyone else do their thing.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

The “If 7:14″ campaign sponsored by Iowa’s Family Leader asks everyone to set their cell phones to remind them to pray and repent each day at 7:14 a.m.

I've read this story.

Daniel 3- 1 King Nebuchadnezzar made an image of gold, ninety feet high and nine feet wide, and set it up on the plain of Dura in the province of Babylon. 2 He then summoned the satraps, prefects, governors, advisers, treasurers, judges, magistrates and all the other provincial officials to come to the dedication of the image he had set up. 3 So the satraps, prefects, governors, advisers, treasurers, judges, magistrates and all the other provincial officials assembled for the dedication of the image that King Nebuchadnezzar had set up, and they stood before it. 4 Then the herald loudly proclaimed, "This is what you are commanded to do, O peoples, nations and men of every language: 5 As soon as you hear the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipes and all kinds of music, you must fall down and worship the image of gold that King Nebuchadnezzar has set up. 6 Whoever does not fall down and worship will immediately be thrown into a blazing furnace." 7 Therefore, as soon as they heard the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp and all kinds of music, all the peoples, nations and men of every language fell down and worshiped the image of gold that King Nebuchadnezzar had set up.

Whether we like it or not, these people are the movers and makers of societies of all facets, and nothing happens in politics by accident. Someone told this governer to appeal to the people in this manner.

The real question is who, and to what purpose.

(just my 2 cents)

edit on 15-7-2014 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It's just more pandering to the Christian Right base by a Republican. Must be an election coming up....

btw, I have absolutely nothing against prayer, meditation, invocation, supplication or Hosanna.

But this looks awfully close at an attempt at a state sponsored religious event. I have a problem with that.
edit on 15-7-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
It's just more pandering to the Christian Right base by a Republican. Must be an election coming up....

btw, I have absolutely nothing against prayer, meditation, invocation, supplication or Hosanna.

But this looks awfully close at an attempt at a state sponsored religious even. I have a problem with that.

Is it sponsored? Are people coming out of their homes and gathering in the streets to be served refreshments and unite their voices with that of the governor in praise of their sky wizard?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

LOL

It seems to me this guys is setting himself up as the "Protestant Pope of Iowa". Pious BS at its best! Political trolling at its worse.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

But this looks awfully close at an attempt at a state sponsored religious even. I have a problem with that.

Is it sponsored? Are people coming out of their homes and gathering in the streets to be served refreshments and unite their voices with that of the governor in praise of their sky wizard?

Iowans pay taxes and those taxes are paying for this guy to sign a proclamation endorsing a religion whose core principles are founded in deterring people from all other faiths.

This isn't just some politician saying grace before a meal.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
"In the name and by the authority of the state of Iowa'
Not cool. I think that crossed the line.
(and I'm Christian .. so no one say I'm anti-christian or something).
I wouldn't want that kind of thing going out officially for ANY religion.
Not even an invitation with a holy-book quote.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This kind of stunt...and, that's exactly what I see it as...gets frenzied support among evangelical ranks...and serves to shore-up a segment of the political populous...with little to no expense attached.
They get excited...and reverently receive the instruction (often from the dais/pulpit) "Be sure to vote - to keep righteousness in our State House!".

It was simply an 'invitation'...
Ahhh - who cares? I guess everyone needs something to believe in...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Don't you see? This is how it starts; need I remind you of the boiling frog analogy.

I think Sinclair Lewis had it right when he said "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag, holding a cross"
edit on 15-7-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Don't you see? This is how it starts; need I remind you of the boiling frog analogy.

I think Sinclair Lewis had it right when he said "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag, holding a cross"

I notice you failed to answer my question. As a result, I'm confused as to the relevance of your statement or where it fits in this picture.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Iowans pay taxes and those taxes are paying for this guy to sign a proclamation endorsing a religion whose core principles are founded in deterring people from all other faiths.

This isn't just some politician saying grace before a meal.

He provided a choice. Those who choose to not participate are not automatically subject to search and seizure, nor are they instantly considered enemies of the state. They stay home, they drink their beer, they watch the news, and life goes on. At the same time, those who choose to participate are perfectly happy in spending time with likeminded people doing what our country has given them the freedom to do, exactly like the people sitting at home with their beers.

The governor provided a choice. An opportunity, actually. An opportunity that is free of cost and free of obligation. What would you rather have him do without violating his and his peoples' rights?

top topics

join