It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Ravages IRS, Guts $1.1 Billion from Tax Enforcement Budget

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Not sure how accurate this report is. I looked elsewhere briefly and was unable to find a corroborating story.

Source - The Blaze

Edit: I don't know what to make of this, so I've decided to reserve any comment. Something really doesn't look right about this article.
edit on 1572014 by Snarl because: Edit

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Loose the hyenas! This more than anything else tells me the end game is on with our govt. Look for some nasty fights between the left and right sides in the coming future.

So, what is your opinion? Will this fare well for tax payers in the long run, or will it just make things worse?
edit on 15-7-2014 by Quauhtli because: ...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Quauhtli

So, what is your opinion.

Well, I'll be happy to give you mine...
I hope that the story is true.
I hope that they aren't finished cutting the money from those bastards.
I hope after they gut them monetarily, they disband them completely and we never see them again.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Right on, my thoughts as well.

There have been some recent articles foreshadowing this, but I was hesitant to believe it would happen. In my opinion, if the IRS does get an overhaul in the near future it will not fare well for the tax payers. God help us all if the Dems hold the next presidential election. At least as far as this whole issue goes.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Quauhtli

So, what is your opinion. Will this fare well for tax payers in the future, or will it just make things worse?

Good point ... I could've at least left an opinion on the subject. The numbers started looking so jacked-up ... did they cut 1/10th or 1/5th? Is it a done deal or can the Senate burn the effort to the ground?

Anyway, I don't think an action of this limited nature is going to help you or me. I'd have to guess the 'players' are going to get a free ride on paying their taxes for a while.

Other than that, I'd have to agree with the lead-in of your reply. OTOH, I like when things get nasty. The left and right have needed to settle their differences for a long long time, and I'm all for watching them have a knock-down drag-out fight.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quauhtli
a reply to: butcherguy

Right on, my thoughts as well.

There have been some recent articles foreshadowing this, but I was hesitant to believe it would happen. In my opinion, if the IRS does get an overhaul in the near future it will not fare well for the tax payers. God help us all if the Dems hold the next presidential election. At least as far as this whole issue goes.

I believe that the IRS, if left intact as an entity, will continue to function as a political tool for whatever party is in power.
There needs to be another 9.8 billion dollars cut from the proposed budget.... leaving them with nothing.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

There are a few more stories on it so it looks legit.

But do you really think this will help the likes of you and I though?

Or just those who can afford a team of Tax Lawyers?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

If true, it is a great start.
Gut the IRS.

There should be NO reason at all that the US citizen should fear the Govt, or Non-LE agency to have the ability to jail people for not paying taxes. Or confiscate someone's assets.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I think that the house has been ramping up for this fight for a while now. If the Senate undercuts them on this issue, then we may see a knock down drag out, and it may well be the last time, at least for a bit.

One positive side I see is the house trying to take the power back. They've been impotent for too long and it's serves an injustice for the people.

I say toss the senate out with the IRS, and don't look back.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

There should be NO reason at all that the US citizen should fear the Govt, or Non-LE agency to have the ability to jail people for not paying taxes. Or confiscate someone's assets.

I'm pretty concerned about them having any control over my medical records. The folks who control your records can easily dictate what care you're eligible to receive, and how much you're going to pay for what you can get.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Yeah, imagine that.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
what i could find thehill.com... its a blog so take that for what it is

The House late Monday night adopted proposals by voice vote to cut funding for the Internal Revenue Service. Rep. Paul Gosar's (R-Ariz.) amendment to the fiscal 2015 Financial Services appropriations bill would cut funding for the IRS by $353 million. Specifically, Gosar's amendment would cut that funding from the IRS enforcement account and use it toward deficit reduction. Gosar argued that funding for the IRS would be better used toward reducing the deficit than toward the agency caught in GOP crosshairs. "This is a modest reduction at best," Gosar said. Read more: thehill.com... Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

from june www.politico.com...

House Republicans rolled out a $21.3 billion financial services bill Tuesday that cuts more than $2 billion from President Barack Obama’s budget requests — chiefly at the expense of the Internal Revenue Service and Securities and Exchange Commission.

have to wait and see what the impacts of this are but seems to be a drop in the bucket as far as IRS funds go.

www.politico.com...
ahh it seems the funds were for investigating groups so i guess this is the answer/reply to the problems with the IRS targeting scandal least that is how i took it

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Well...that may do away with their petty cash, and making silly videos for bloated self indulgent conferences budget

Now, I'd like to see them start carving away at the meat of the matter, and really make them hurt. Like they've hurt so many people in the real world.

This could lead to some really ugly, downright nasty political fights. When you start nibbling at the purse strings of the largest government thief, those dipping into that purse will start throwing massive hissy fits.

Let the fighting begin...

Des

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

If you dont pay your taxes, the IRS has the power to take your home, your savings, your personal property, garnish your wages, your future income and even imprison you.

Thats right, you can be stripped of your freedom for not paying taxes.

I'd like to meet one single American (not a government employee) who thinks this is ok.

Until they decriminalize the non-payment of income tax, everything else is just stage drama for public consumption.

If no one supports these draconian measures, why are they allowed to get away with it?

Because its yet another way of controlling the masses by keeping the citizens living in fear.

edit on 15-7-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The problem I see with this is the unintended consequences. Think this one through:

- If you believe that the IRS was maliciously targeting conservatives for political reasons, then this is a punitive action which is bizarre in of itself. Fix the problems, create more oversight, etc. OR REFORM THE WHOLE THING.

- If you believe that the IRS was dealing with a huge influx of non-profits and attempting to simplify the process of identifying and addressing violations, then cutting the enforcement budget could exacerbate the situation and make things worse.

You won't find many fans of the IRS and I'm certainly not one of them. If you've ever been audited or had a return held up pending additional documentation, then you most likely know what an annoying, frustrating and extremely one sided process it is. Things happen like they'll request a document, you send the document and then you have to call them to make sure they received the document followed by weeks or even months of waiting for the IRS to review the document, at which time, they may request ANOTHER document and set the clock back AGAIN. At the same time, there are hard and fast deadlines for the tax payer to meet and penalties for not meeting them. It's the epitome of Man vs The Machine.

Does cutting the IRS budget only serve to make a bad situation worse? Or what about tax offenses that slip through the cracks? Is it fair that most of us comply and pay our taxes and then tax cheats are able to skirt their obligations because of a punitive action dealt in the name of partisan politics? It also bears mentioning that other groups, completely unrelated to politics have been targeted:

IRS policy that targeted political groups also aimed at open source projects

The current tax code is a joke, it's so arcane and convoluted that it costs tax payers and employers tens of billions of dollars a year to comply with it and it seems that many of the wealthiest few are constantly engaged in exploiting it to avoid taxation.

We need to change the whole system, possibly adopt something akin to the FairTax. At the very least, DRASTICALLY simplify the tax code.

Simply tightening the purse strings won't fix anything, it's just the easiest thing they can do to quell public outrage.
edit on 2014-7-15 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
We KNOW something illegal happened at the IRS or we wouldn't have all of "the dog ate my homework" excuses. At least with less money they have less ability to harass through audits and confiscations. Hopefully it will keep them focused on their actual mission of collecting revenue for the international bankers.
edit on 2014/7/15 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Just part of the FY15 Federal budget discussions. There will be hundreds of these votes, but what actually ends up happening with any agency's funding is all up in the air. I have to assume that they will take some cuts from their FY14 budget, as that seems to be standard procedure by Congress when reacting to a scandal.

I can assure you it won't be in the billions of dollars. There is plenty of Senate v. House budget "fighting" to do between now and then. And that's assuming they don't work under a CR due to the midterms.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Earlier this month, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee released an email showing that Lerner was worried about the idea that Congress might seek out various IRS emails. In mid-June, the IRS said a computer crash prevented it from recovering more than two years’ worth of Lerner’s emails.

Aren't situations like the one mentioned in the last sentence one of the purposes of the NSA's surveillance programs? They could technically go back into their archives to pluck out those emails, as I understand archives going back 15 years are kept. Unless it is in the interest of National Security to prevent that information from being disclosed. I really don't know what was in it!

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Not sure how accurate this report is. I looked elsewhere briefly and was unable to find a corroborating story.

Source - The Blaze

Edit: I don't know what to make of this, so I've decided to reserve any comment. Something really doesn't look right about this article.

It's from "The Blaze" Of course there is no corroboration, cause certain sites just make stuff up.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

If so . . . we should applaud those responsible . . .

or send them flowers . . . or like them on FB or something.

LOL.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join