It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live now on Ustream : NASA the search for extraterrestrial life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Live now on Ustream

Ustream

3 or 4 NASA scientists giving a talk about the new JWST- James Webb Space Telescope, which is much more powerful than The Hubble telescope.
They go into detail about what type of planets they will look at
I dont know much more about it i just clicked on it and then linked it here...
edit on 14/7/14 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Can you at least make an effort?
4 words and a link really....and you posted it twice?
If you cant give me a rundown on the link....I wont even bother.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
Live now on Ustream

Ustream

3 or 4 NASA scientists giving a talk about the new JWST- James Webb Space Telescope, which is much more powerful than The Hubble telescope.
your 4 words were enough for me,thanks for the link

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I must admit, I was disappointed as I thought I would be

However I've starred and flagged you, just in case anything interesting pops up ;-)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Can you at least make an effort?
4 words and a link really....and you posted it twice?
If you cant give me a rundown on the link....I wont even bother.

I think we're on the same page mate. In fact 99.9% I don't even bother clicking on any threads in this forum any more.

I'm not really into repeated disappointment ;-)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this. They are basically taking the drake equation and updating it with their data from hubble and kepler and what the next batch of telescopes will tell us. It's in HD, I don't know why you wouldn't want to watch it. It switches from a talk to nice graphs, and video/photos of the telescope.
edit on 14-7-2014 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
My internet suuuuuucks so bad right now, it's "stuttering" & freezing constantly even on the lower setting. This sucks majorly, because I think this is a repeat airing of the broadcast, which was done earlier today, and I missed that one.

Bite me, Verizon. You make streaming quality sucktacular even when you're not throttling.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Mine is freezing too. They were asked which stars will you target and they answered Orion because they know stars are being born there, and then he dodged answering what other star systems, he said we have very strong targets. John Grunsfeld, Dave Gallagher, John Mather, and few others are talking. This telescope will be able to look for life signatures that our current telescopes can't find, bio-signatures, tech-signatures, what percentage of probability of life on a planet, 80%, 99%, etc...They're taking lots of questions...Talking about life in our solar system too...sounds like they are specifically looking for earth like planets because the moons and planets in our solar system we are studying, the telescope won't pick up those signatures on exomoon and exoplanets. It sounds like the telescope is looking for abundant life and civilizations.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpenEars123
I must admit, I was disappointed as I thought I would be

However I've starred and flagged you, just in case anything interesting pops up ;-)

Disappointed at what?

This wasn't supposed to be an "announcement of a finding" press conference. This conference had been scheduled several days ago, and is simply meant to be a discussion about NASA's search for life elsewhere, and a discussion about one of their new tools they will have at their disposal in a few years that will aide them in the search for ET life -- The James Webb Telescope.

Personally, I think the prospects for finding life elsewhere are getting very exciting with the coming launches of the James Webb Space telescope, the Transiting Exoplanet Surveying Satellite (TESS), and other potential tools that may be coming in the next decade.

This press conference was all about that. Very interesting and meaningful stuff.

Finding Life Beyond Earth is Within Reach

Experts from NASA and its partner institutions addressed this question today, July 14, at a public talk held at NASA Headquarters in Washington. They outlined NASA's roadmap to the search for life in the universe, an ongoing journey that involves a number of current and future telescopes...

...The NASA roadmap will continue with the launch of the Transiting Exoplanet Surveying Satellite (TESS) in 2017, the James Webb Space Telescope (Webb Telescope) in 2018, and perhaps the proposed Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope - Astrophysics Focused Telescope Assets (WFIRST-AFTA) early in the next decade. These upcoming telescopes will find and characterize a host of new exoplanets -- those planets that orbit other stars -- expanding our knowledge of their atmospheres and diversity. The Webb telescope and WFIRST-AFTA will lay the groundwork, and future missions will extend the search for oceans in the form of atmospheric water vapor and for life as in carbon dioxide and other atmospheric chemicals, on nearby planets that are similar to Earth in size and mass, a key step in the search for life.

"This technology we are using to explore exoplanets is real," said John Grunsfeld, astronaut and associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. "The James Webb Space Telescope and the next advances are happening now. These are not dreams -- this is what we do at NASA."

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
Live now on Ustream

Ustream

Thanks for the link OP, never mind the fast food junkies.

new topics

top topics

join