It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why trees are even more awesome than you think

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+68 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Over the past few years we have seen an increased understanding of plant communication. This however brings it to a whole new level. There is evidence to suggest that trees do not only communicate with each other. They also have the ability to share nutrients.

UBC Professor Suzanne Simard explains how trees are much more complex than most of us ever imagined. Although Charles Darwin assumed trees are simply individual organisms competing for survival of the fittest, Simard demonstrates just how wrong he was. In fact, the opposite is true: trees survive through mutual co-operation and support, passing around essential nutrients “depending on who needs it”/

www.trueactivist.com...

sorry unable to get the embed working.. link here.. www.youtube.com...

The underground root system of trees and other plants are surrounded by a network of fungus. It has long been know that plants use thee fungus to process nutrients. However it is now thought they use this underground network to send nutrients over great distances to where they are needed. In times of hardship. Carbon and Nitrogen are passed back and forth according to which tree needs it.

This has implications for they way we treat forests. Cutting down old and dying trees could have repercussions for future generations of trees. The removal of mother trees stops the trees from returning nutrients into the soil before they die.

I have always thought that nature work through mechanisms of cooperation, not competition and maybe are beginning to see evidence of this.

purp..

edit on 14-7-2014 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Jul 15 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to embed video

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Fantastic thread.

originally posted by: purplemer

I have always thought that nature work through mechanisms of cooperation, not competition and maybe are beginning to see evidence of this.

I believe its both, but understand your point. Nature is an amazing thing, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Awesome video thanks for sharing purp.. It amazes me to no end the amount we are currently learning about what goes on beneath our feet. It also saddens me that even with new evidence like this the big logging companies will not give a hoot about mother trees being cut down.

I do not think we as the human race realize how much we are messing up our Mother Earth. And maybe a lot of it is in ignorance..

Mother Nature is truly a wondrous creature and I hope we make more and more finds which will help us understand how to look after her a little better....!

F&S

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I love trees always have. I think there is so much more to them than we know. I believe they can communicate with more than just other trees, but us as well and any other living being really if we just learn to quiet our minds and listen.

I only wish this knowledge would stop the tearing down of trees in our forests. Maybe more people will take up the cause of standing up for them since their voices are not as well heard as ours.

Thanks for the vid, always love to watch something that just reinforces my love for trees.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I have understood this for some time, and it blows me away....and clears my minds understanding of the connected universe.

My working theory thus far is that the top half acts as a receiver of signals through vibration while the root system communicates through various methods including vibration and untra sound.

Trees are really more complex in reality than first imagined.

When you count the number of variations and species it's almost staggering.

No matter how you look at it they were some of the first complex life forms and likely some of the last on this ball of minerals and moisture.

Another facete of trees and vegitation in general is thier lack of amenity towards meat creatures in general and quite the opposite.

I have a couple rescue trees in my solarium who were not doing well in the climate of the area. After nursing them back to health by "listening" close to thier needs they are flourishing , and I would swear are communicating quite loudly.

Sentience doesn't and won't always look like how you expect it.

Nice post OP.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: brandiwine14

I am sure they can communicate with more than just trees. Its just we do not know how to see it yet. The natural world is far more complex than we see. We should try listening and learning instead of dominating.

I love trees too... purp.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

From Source:

In fact, the opposite is true: trees survive through mutual co-operation and support, passing around essential nutrients “depending on who needs it”

Now, here is a great example of Universal Health Care.

And they don't even have to convince the young ones to sign up.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
We are more like Pandora from Avatar than we all know, well at least until industry has killed everything.

Great thread thanks for posting

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Treespeaker

Thanks for your reply.. and i agree with the comment..

Sentience doesn't and won't always look like how you expect i

I have never thought about the top of the trees acting as recievers but I cannot see why not..

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

ow, here is a great example of Universal Health Care. And they don't even have to convince the young ones to sign up.

Now when putting this thread up it did make me think how lacking we are as a species with the ability to share resources. Half the world obese and the other starving...

We could do better by learning from nature..

purp..

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

lolz I too could not help but think of Avatar when posting up this thread. You do have to wonder about the connectivity of everything when looking at stuff like this..

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

If you haven't already seen this then I think you'll enjoy it.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

No I have not seen it Thank you I shall watch it now for bedtime...

purp..

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I'm a newby and battling a little to get the hang of this. Plants and especially trees have feelings and thoughts and emotions (IMHO) I'll be back to add to this once I stop losing my replies.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Yes, I love trees.

There is a reason ancient myth and legends found them magnificent.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

My impression in general in a northern climate, is that the eyes and and ears (top bits)are open and are transmitting on wave lengths perceptible to us when full of foliage.

In winter only the lower parts communication is perceptible but very faint.

My inference from this is that the lower more than half (usually) is in constant contact with the network, while the upper bit is the environmental sensory organ. Dormant in coldest winter.

Mind you I have only run the most rudimentary tests myself ( not requiring a closed lab) and rely on studies to draw these conclusions. Well that and my vested interest for interest sake and to prove I'm not a nut for "feeling the tree's) and such.

By inferring that trees can talk to other trees, even in a symbiotic nature easily leads to the trees supporting their environment possibly up to and including sharing of nutrients and communication with supporting vegetation to maintain the communication network ( the trees benefit of sharing resources with other plants).

I better stop, I get carried away when it goes to trees and stuff lol.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Trikzta

I would agree with you. I think plants do have feelings thoughts and emotions but not in the same way that we do.

Welcome to ATS...

If you want to post an introduction thread.. You can so here.. It seems complicated to start with but I am sure you will work it out...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

purp..

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Awesome thread.
A couple of years ago I found a old book in a shop called companion planting. Its more to do with vegetable gardens. But has heaps of info on which plants to put next to each other , that help one another grow.
Imagine the huge rain forests and the amount of tree communication going on there.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Love this! What a beautiful and amazing thread. I have often thought that trees were much more complex than we imagined.

My friends and family laugh at me because I won't so much as pull the leaves from trees, as it is also my belief that they truly are alive, and as such, can feel pain.

Thank you for this wonderful thread.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This is great. TFS. Although it is definitely not new info. This was discovered decades ago and published in The Secret Life of Plants, copyright 1973. A great read.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join