It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dick Cheney: "Obama Exceeded Constitutional Authority by Use of Executive Power"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Bilk22
I respect all of that and pretty much have the same stand on those issues. How do you feel about the border issue? Is there justification in criticizing Obama for that debacle?

First, I am not going to fault any human being for trying to have a better life. For themselves or family.

This goes way back, long before Obama. There used to be a migrant worker program. Worked great. Everyone was happy. Farmers got their crops harvested, their kids got to go to school (migrant school program), they sent money home to family, and went back home after the harvest season. Then some politician, I think in Texas, used "stealing jobs from Americans" as her platform. She won. Migrant work program shut down. Migrants have no work. Produce rotting in field because farmers couldn't find workers. I know there was/is a guest worker program in the works, but it's difficult to find an unbiased opinion on it. So that's part of the problem.

I'm of the mind "Children should not suffer or be blamed for stupid adults".

I think right now what is happening is correct. House them, keep them safe. I also agree with not allowing politicians and their cameras in. These children don't need to be used for anymore political fodder then they already are. I also agree with Obama about not making this a photo OP.

The Republicans need to knock off their childish stonewalling behavior and work with Obama to come up with a workable solution.

I live on the border. I know first hand how much work and added security, both in man power and procedures has gone into closing the border.

Both Bush and Obama have increased border protection.

I get really tired of the "back porch" whiners that really have no clue, don't really care what the facts are, and offer no solution other then send them back.

So in other words you don't believe the president has a responsibility to keep the border secure?

You know pretty much all of us originated from another land. For me, it was my great grandparents that came here in the late 1800s. Before that my great, great grandfather and his brothers came here in the 1860s to work on the railroads. They all came here legally - you know, waiting on a list and then passing thru Ellis Island to be checked for diseases and to ensure their paperwork was in order and they were who they claimed to be.

None of that is happening now. The president has recklessly placed this nation in danger from disease and even terrorism by not enforcing the laws that are on the books because they don't fit with his "opinion" of how things should be. They do however fit with what Big Farm and other industries believe they should be. Makes one wonder where he is in the grand scheme of things. Me, I feel he's using big industries greed for cheap labor against the system in order to make it what he feels it should be. Watch 2016 and you won't be able to deny that.

From your posts I think you've either been a bit disingenuous about your politics or you're a bit confused in your ideals and convictions.

The whole "it's about the children" and yadayadayada about the children is the talking points for the left. You bought it or you're promoting it for an agenda. Either way it's BS. The left is using and abusing those children by dragging them thousands of miles in horrible circumstances and then dropping them into even worse circumstances. And you know, it's not only children that are crossing our border, what once was a sovereign border - there are all sorts of criminals and potential terrorists that are walking across too. So remember when the next 9/11 happens that you supported that. OK?
edit on 20556Tuesdayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

I think our government needs to work together on the border problem. ALL OUR GOVERNMENT.

This should not be a bi-partisan issue used to blame the opposition or promote one side over the other.

I'm very pissed off at the behavior of the Republicans with their childish stonewall behavior. Absolutely!

If you want blame, blame everyone.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I think our government needs to work together on the border problem. ALL OUR GOVERNMENT.

This should not be a bi-partisan issue used to blame the opposition or promote one side over the other.

I'm very pissed off at the behavior of the Republicans with their childish stonewall behavior. Absolutely!

We already have laws and the president isn't enforcing them. People have been waiting for years to legally enter this country. Where's your sense of fairness and decency?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

We already have laws and the president isn't enforcing them. People have been waiting for years to legally enter this country. Where's your sense of fairness and decency?

If you want me to blame Obama, forget it.

This is something that needs to be solved -- not bickered over. And definitely Not used as a political tool.

Work together, get it done.

Have you researched what Obama has done or tried to do? As far as I know there are more BP agents on the border then ever before.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

If you want me to blame Obama, forget it.

This is something that needs to be solved -- not bickered over. And definitely Not used as a political tool.

Work together, get it done.

Have you researched what Obama has done or tried to do? As far as I know there are more BP agents on the border then ever before.
I know he hasn't shut the border down. What else should I know? Oh that he was shooting pool instead of attending to a disaster in the making? Ah Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Our guy shoots pool.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Border is more secure, but not to everyone's satisfaction

Following a trend initiated by Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, the Obama administration has added more border patrol agents, fencing and detection technology to prevent border crossings.

Last year the number of apprehensions near the border (340,000) was the lowest since 1971. That's in contrast to slightly more than 1 million apprehensions, the number in 2005.

As we reported last year, personnel and other resources to stop illegal crossings of the U.S.-Mexico border have increased dramatically in recent years. One vivid statistic from Homeland Security: The number of border patrol officers more than doubled from about 10,000 to about 21,000 between 2004 and 2012

www.politifact.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

It does not matter if you add another 10 or 10 thousand agents to the border. Without enforcing immigration laws the added manpower is a waste since it does not fix the problem.

Obama does not seem to understand that simple concept. He just wants to throw money at the problem when we know full well the money will not make a difference.

As for the comments about Obama. He made this mess on his own and to try and reverse it by going after people who don't care for Obama and his policies is what the far left has been doing.

As for Congress, complain all we want, the House is doing their job. Please explain to me where in the Constitution is state that if a political party controls 1.5 out of 2 branches of government that the minority party must give in to what the Democrats want.

That argument is nothing more than a temper tantrum by Democrats who want everything their way. Should we go back to how much money the Democrats have wasted since they have been in office while Obama has been President.

Please explain to us why Democrats never bothered to operate with a budget?

While I can understand some of your arguments, the bulk are nothing more than excuses and the blame game that Democrats have consistently tried to use.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
....No one has yet given specifics of how Obama has exceeded his authority, as Cheney claims. And each time I ask, all I hear is crickets.

Here's another warning today from one of Obama's own:

Jonathan Turley: Congress ‘Must Act’ Against Obama’s Overreach Or Face ‘Self-Destruction’

Do you like this source better?
edit on 16-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
WOW some people are so thick it's unfreakingbelievable. We already provide more that twice the foreign aid of ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. What do you think is going to happen to these third world countries when the good old USA money well dries up?

Somebody better get this administration under control, because I just don't see how any of this is sustainable. We just once again broke the record for tax revenue, yet somehow these morons are still running a deficit. Now you combine this fiasco at the border with the cluster of Obamacare, I don't see how you could see this as anything but an intentional attempt to run this country right into the ground. Screw stopping the executive orders, etc. somebody needs to lock this guy in a closet for the remainder of his term, and hope it's not too late.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: EverydayInVA
WOW some people are so thick it's unfreakingbelievable. We already provide more that twice the foreign aid of ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

Please provide actual facts PER CAPITA of where the US stands on donating foreign aid.

Compared to other cointries.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Regardless of what I think about somebody if they point out a problem with somebody else I won't disregard it. I consider it concerning when people change the subject and just continue talking about what that person has done. I'm not saying that it isn't deserving but I will take what Cheney is saying at face value and not tarnish it over his record. It's still valid regardless. Suggesting that he needs to stop talking about it is counter productive and have to question the reason behind that. Is it to nullify both arguments? More often that not this is the case.
edit on 16-7-2014 by ezwip because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

U.S. Foreign Aid By Country

The United States is notorious for having its fingers in many pies. One of the ways Uncle Sam tries to coerce other states to get in line with his preferred policies is by doling out foreign aid -- lots of it.

The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) states that its function is to provide "economic, development and humanitarian assistance around the world in support of the foreign policy goals of the United States." While the effectiveness of foreign aid remains up for debate, the United States recently has continued to pump around $50 billion in aid to other countries each year.

In terms of the absolute value of aid given, the United States is the world's top donor by far.

See also, HERE, for a data summary as a percentage of GDP and other metrics.
edit on 16-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Damn good thing Obama is moving the ball forward on several fronts via the use of the executive order.
Federal recognition of gay marriages from various states. Allowing states to legalize cannabis (ordering new guidelines for federal law enforcement). Instituting some of the goals the Dream Act would have covered (immigration). Ordering a 30% reduction in green house gas emissions by power companies. ETC ETC. This is a good thing.

Would be nice if the Republicans did start up an impeachment thing NOW so maybe the Dems can recapture the House in 2014, similar to the blowback Republicans got in 1998 for their impeachment of Clinton.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

U.S. Foreign Aid By Country

PER CAPITA

Where does US stand Per Capita?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Dick Chaney needs to STFU, now! This war criminal ought to be behind bars. Why on Earth ANYONE would listen to this proven liar is beyond me - a question that can only be answered by FOX'NEWS', I suspect.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TownCryer
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Dick Chaney needs to STFU, now! This war criminal ought to be behind bars. Why on Earth ANYONE would listen to this proven liar is beyond me - a question that can only be answered by FOX'NEWS', I suspect.

He did write the PNAC, which he tried to dismiss.

Ever read the Iraq invasion plan in that document?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Why would "per capita" be meaningful, when all it does is penalize based upon population size and does nothing to account for ability to pay? Low population rich countries would rank higher on a per capita basis than high population poor countries.

The result would tell very little.

Isn't a nation's GDP a better measure if you're going to make the argument that the wealthiest nations should give as a percentage more?

I already posted the link to GDP contributors.

ETA

I could only quickly find this chart from 2002:

Per Capita Foreign Aid Assistance by World's Wealthiest Countries, 2002

edit on 18-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Why would "per capita" be meaningful, when all it does is penalize based upon population size and does nothing to account for ability to pay?

So, you're offering me excuses, rather then post the information.

Post the information, let others decide if Per Capita matters.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

So, you're offering me excuses, rather then post the information.

Post the information, let others decide if Per Capita matters.

Nice to find this response after having gone back to (edit my previous) post with what I could find.

Since the metric seems so important to you, what effort did you make to find something? And while you are at it, why not tell us what you think it means?
edit on 18-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join