It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ultimate sniper rifle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Sooooo, I just read the military is going to be introducing a guided 'smart' bullet to it's arsenal. DARPA just announced that they completed their first live-fire test using .50 caps.

Basically you are able to guide the bullet to where you want it to hit if it's windy, target movement, or maybe just a quick fire shot.

This is pretty unreal and I had no idea anyone was even testing such a thing, hard to imagine just how fast our enemies will get this info. LOL

Thoughts????

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 14-7-2014 by wutang717 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-7-2014 by wutang717 because: to add the source info

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
When the gun assembles, aims, fires, disassembles and packs itself away without human supervision, I will be impressed. I will also demand that the schematics be conveniently lost in a burning building and promptly forgotten.
edit on 14-7-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: wutang717

Interesting and of course smart amunition has been researched for quite a while but was alway's deemed to expensive and unreliable, usually a small sensor and microprocessur with piezo electric fins fired from a smooth bore barrel, basically a missile minuse the engine.

Though for us peace lovers it is distasteful to say the least it is a necessary step in the technology and can provide a more accurate method of taking out a target at medium to long range with minimal collateral damage and of course larger version's already exists in artillary and tank shell form but what would happen if they could tie this in with a satellite targeting system and short rocket boost engine to enable targeted indirect fire hit's, there is an obvious application but is the technology ready, not drone but much cleaner and discreet ground to target enhancing the snipers traditionaly role and giving him a greater standoff potential.

I would like to see what reliability this has and what method it used to direct it in flight, where that ordinance is shown to have made a virtual right angle turn after a curved flight path I wonder if it actually employs a small booster rocket or is simply fin guided.

edit on 14-7-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
YOU JUST GOT NO SCOPED! NOOB!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
When the gun assembles, aims, fires, disassembles and packs itself away without human supervision, I will be impressed. I will also demand that the schematics be conveniently lost in a burning building and promptly forgotten.

What you have said here is the near future of warfare, imp.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Is there any possibility , that we could get all our politicians in D.C. to test fire this....using a special boomerang app that would return said bullet to sender ?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: wutang717

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

What you have said here is the near future of warfare, imp.

I most certainly hope not. That's one step away from arming an artificial intelligence system with every weapon at our disposal.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Another waste of your tax dollars.

Please make the bullet go up.

Why not just aim well in the first place? If you can't aim while you're squeezing the trigger, what makes you think you can aim after recoil?

What do you think just _one_ o' dem fancy bullets cost?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The ultimate sniper rifle was designed in 1891.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Another waste of your tax dollars.

Please make the bullet go up.

Why not just aim well in the first place? If you can't aim while you're squeezing the trigger, what makes you think you can aim after recoil?

What do you think just _one_ o' dem fancy bullets cost?

They are trying to make this like a McDonalds cash register. Just push the button with BigMac/fire on it. No calculations, not sight picture, no special trigger, no scope, just a tv screen and a joy stick. Nintendo at its finest. I am starting to see the necessity for low yield EMP's fired from cannons. The battle field will be littered with non functioning robots and special electronic warfare equipment.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
they are trying to make every soldier on the battlefield a major threat. thats why. its not a bad idea really.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

It's easy to aim with nice clear lanes, a range master, plenty of sleep the night before, a full belly, not wearing 90 pounds of gear in 120 degree weather, not having ridden crammed cheek to jowel in an APC that's been frantically maneuvering for its life and your gear displacing several vital organs, and NOT BEING SHOT AT while still having to constantly consider the lecture the guy from JAG gave 96 hours ago before you started moving so you don't wind up on al Jazeera then Leavenworth for killing someone who was only a condition 2 probable hostile!!

new topics

top topics

join