It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest ever study of its kind finds significant differences between organic and non-organic food

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

The largest ever study of its kind has found significant differences between organic food and conventionally-grown crops. Organic food contains almost 70% more antioxidants and significantly lower levels of toxic heavy metals.

www.futuretimeline.net...

I wanted to share this with ATS because often time on the boards here people say there is no difference between organic and non organic food. Personally I do not need a study to tell me there is. It is common sense.

Analysing 343 studies into the differences between organic and conventional crops, an international team of experts led by Newcastle University, UK, found that a switch to eating organic fruit, vegetable and cereals – and food made from them – would provide additional antioxidants equivalent to eating between 1-2 extra portions of fruit and vegetables a day.

The study, published in the British Journal of Nutrition, also shows significantly lower levels of toxic heavy metals in organic crops. Cadmium – one of only three metal contaminants along with lead and mercury for which the European Commission has set maximum permitted contamination levels in food – was found to be almost 50% lower in organic crops than conventionally-grown ones.

This demonstrates that organic food leads to a greater intake of antioxidants and a reduced intake of heavy metals. There are many studies available that link desirable antioxidants reduce the risk of chronic illness like heart disease and certain cancers.

Professor Leifert added: “The organic vs non-organic debate has rumbled on for decades now, but the evidence from this study is overwhelming – organic food is high in antioxidants and lower in toxic metals and pesticides.

This study is considering a good starting point for further investigation and the entire database used for this study is openly available.

Purp...

edit on 14-7-2014 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I can taste it in bannanas. i grew up mwith home grown fruit and veg but not bannanas. non organic doesn't taste like a 1970s bannana did

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

So basically the hippie crowd had a study and found out that what they decided to call "Organic" is healthier than what they decided to call "Non-Organic" that's a shocker

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I thought it was widely known that organic is better for you? I mean it's obvious, no preservatives or pesticides in use among other things. Did we really need a study to tell us these things? I mean, I thought the reason most don't buy organic is because it's more expensive and doesn't last as long in the refrigerator before going bad.
edit on 14-7-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Like the tobacco lobby's there are some scientists whom have recently tried to claim that Anti Oxident's accelerate cancer which is only one study out of many that found the opposite, there was a very good thread about it last week.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The scientific report put me in mind of how tobacco lobbys used to produce scientific reports claiming not smoking was bad for you and how many benefit's cigarettes had on the health and how powerful they were in government when Tobacco was king.

This is a good study and proves the benefit of organic produce over genetically modifies and pesticide soaked crap that we mostly eat out of lack of choice today, even when organic is available for anyone on a budget it is seen as a luxury due to the premium on the price.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Hardy a surprise that something our bodies adapted to over thousands, if not millions of years, is better for us than something recently cooked up in a lab.

I love and trust science very much. But it's the scientists (and their employers) that cause me great concern.

As with all things, buyer beware.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The reason common sense isn't good enough... Corporate PR, marketing and spent science claiming there is no diff and it gets propagated by all the main stream media.

Science and communication all warped by corruption.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I wonder to myself sometime what fruits and vegetable would have been like hundreds of years ago before they ever started the gmo, pesticide and just downright ruination of our produce. Can you imagine how wonderful most would have been in taste but also the health benefits?

I can no longer eat corn, it tastes like candy...gross. I buy organic everything anti gmo, etc...for my family as much as I can.

Let people deny the truth if they prefer, it is their health on the line.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I really think this is one of those things where it either makes sense to you off the bat, else you will forever think it's not true.

I don't need to keep hearing about how organic is more healthy than GMO crops. It makes perfect intuitive sense to me. It also seems that few of the people who don't think this makes sense, aren't going to be swayed by any amount of evidence. They will always have an out.

I'll still give the topic a flag, but would rather spend time on things that I'm not sure about. This one was easily experientially confirmed a long time ago.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: brandiwine14

Well modifying foods has been around forever (beer is considered a modified food), but genetically modified food has only been around since the 80's and has only been sold to the public since the mid 90's. source

So why do you have to go back hundreds of years to know what non-GMO foods tasted like? All you have to do is think back 20 years. Are you younger than 20? If not then you know what non-GMO's taste like.
edit on 14-7-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Well modifying foods has been around forever (beer is considered a modified food), but genetically modified food has only been around since the 80's and has only been sold to the public since the mid 90's.

I was always under the impression that maize and some grasses were considered the original genetically modified food stocks since our ancestors began selectively breeding them millennia ago.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
I can taste it in bannanas. i grew up mwith home grown fruit and veg but not bannanas. non organic doesn't taste like a 1970s bannana did

don't know if it has to do with being organic, or the way they are preserved for shipping. but i won't eat bananas in North America anymore. compared to what i now get, they taste like crap. here i might need to eat 2 or 3 to get the same amount as there, but the taste is far superior. interesting to note the bananas here tend to have brown spots before they turn yellow. and they don't last all that long. they even seem to be less dense then back there. on the other hand they are plentiful since they are pretty much a weed, and grow everywhere. and banana trees (actually more related to grass than a tree), only take a year to grow and produce.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well according to that wiki article, it is alcohol.

The use of food biotechnology dates back to thousands of years ago to the time of the Sumerians and Babylonians. These groups of people used yeast to make fermented beverages such as beer.[12] The use of plant enzymes such as malts were also used millennia ago, before there was even an understanding of enzymes.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: brandiwine14
I wonder to myself sometime what fruits and vegetable would have been like hundreds of years ago before they ever started the gmo, pesticide and just downright ruination of our produce. Can you imagine how wonderful most would have been in taste but also the health benefits?

I can no longer eat corn, it tastes like candy...gross. I buy organic everything anti gmo, etc...for my family as much as I can.

Let people deny the truth if they prefer, it is their health on the line.

There is a crisis in growing soil all over the globe but the soil in in the USA is depleted.
My son just finishing Med school wrote to say we must take micronutrients today because it is no longer in the food.

www.nutritionsecurity.org...

Interesting the changes and toxens showing up in the soil also

Frances Mangels has a Bachelor of Science in Forestry from the International School of Forestry at Missoula, spent 35 years with the U.S. Forest Service as a wildlife biologist and worked several years with the USDA Soil Conservation Service as a soil conservationist. Today he lives in Mt. Shasta, CA and works as a master gardener. He took a sample of water from his backyard rain gauge on Feb. 1, 2009 and submitted it to Basic Laboratory of Redding, CA on Feb. 2, 2009. This sample showed Aluminum at a level of 1010 micrograms per liter (ug/l). This same sample also showed Barium at a level of 8 ug/l.
Using the same sample method and laboratory, he took a sample on Oct. 14, 2009 which showed Aluminum at a level of 611 ug/l. The Barium should not be there in any amount. Barium carbonate is used in rat poison. The normal level of Aluminum in rainwater is .5 ug/l. These samples show levels of Aluminum at 2020 times and 1222 times the normal levels. There is no heavy industry in the Mt. Shasta area. There is no reason, other than chemtrails, for this stuff to be showing up at these levels.

www.geoengineeringwatch.org...
edit on 14-7-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik
don't know if it has to do with being organic, or the way they are preserved for shipping. but i won't eat bananas in North America anymore.

Unless your bananas have seeds they are grown in the same manner as all other bananas, by cloning.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Well according to that wiki article, it is alcohol.

The use of food biotechnology dates back to thousands of years ago to the time of the Sumerians and Babylonians. These groups of people used yeast to make fermented beverages such as beer.[12] The use of plant enzymes such as malts were also used millennia ago, before there was even an understanding of enzymes.

Makes sense. I was thinking more along the lines of a singular plant species.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
wish I could afford organic

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

It appears that ignorance here is universal. Does anyone know what "organic"means. It means having carbon. Hydrogen cyanide (HCN) is perfectly organic. Kerosine is organic. Yum! Polychlorinated Biphenols (PCBs) are organic. Puff adder venom is organic. Words have meanings. Let's start using the right ones. By the way, most of the pesticides people rail against are Organophosphates. Know what that "organo stands for? Organic. So take a big swig of Malothion - it's organic.

edit on 14-7-2014 by F4guy because: The void stole a sentence.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Selective breeding, and genetic modification are two different things.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Selective breeding, and genetic modification are two different things.

Most articles I read on the subject refer to what our ancestors did as genetic engineering, hence my question to krazyshot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join