It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family Calls 9-1-1 as Son Threatens Suicide, Cops Show Up and Kill Him

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
((I did a search for this and didn't find anything so I apologize if this thread already exists))

Family Calls 9-1-1 as Son Threatens Suicide, Cops Show Up and Kill Him

In yet another instance of police making a bad situation infinitely worse, a Virginia family was left reeling when an officer shot their son to death despite being called to out to help stop the boy killing himself.

Seventeen-year-old Christian Alberto Sierra was suffering from depression which led to a full scale breakdown and attempted suicide.

Sierra’s desperate family called 911 when their son started to harm himself with a knife while at a friend’s house. On hearing that the police were on their way, Sierra fled.

With the friend in pursuit, several witnesses in the neighborhood said they heard a police officer yell “Freeze!” or “Stop!” and then heard three to four shots.

One witness noted that Sierra said “I don’t want to live anymore.” The neighbor described seeing him collapse on the ground, then get up and turn toward the police, prompting one officer to shoot.

Shortly thereafter, Sierra was pronounced dead.

The boy’s mother, frantic with anguish and panic, lashed out at the police officers. “I banged on their car and I’m like, ‘You killed my kid. You killed my kid,’” Sandra Sierra told reporters.

“The four gunshots, it’s just too much. Excessive. Excessive. Why four?” the mother asked.

The cop that fired the shots claims that Sierra had “lunged” toward him with the knife in hand, and that the shooting was justified. Witnesses have not corroborated this claim, however, and say that the officer acted rashly.

School friends and family members described Sierra as recently troubled, but not violent.

“Why would you shoot a child that is suicidal?” the mother urged. “You are there to save him, not finish him off.”

Another case of police going to far. One would think that if the police are responding to a call about someone wanting/attempting to commit suicide, that they wouldn't use their guns.

Several years back this happened in my small town in B.C, Canada. A young guy who suffered from depression was feeling suicidal so the neighbours called the cops. The young guy wouldn't let the cops in so they busted down his door & found him holding a knife. They tried to negotiate with the young guy but it wasn't working. The police claim that the young guy came at them with a knife so the police shot him dead.

All this police madness going on in the U.S has me wondering if they are purposefully doing it to get people so mad that the people want to retaliate and then the gov can really crack down hard.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

What is all the training for? Tasers?

Shoot first, Think later.

It's getting really hard to have faith in this system anymore when so little is being done to mitigate the loss of a life.
There were many options here. It was a teen with a knife. The officer knew he was armed with a knife right off the bat, get your taser out.
Even if worst comes to worst, go for something non-lethal.

R.I.P Humanity
edit on 14-7-2014 by 0bservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Defund, disarm, raid precincts confiscate records and prosecute RICO.

In lieu of that, it gets very very ugly.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
No. This is another example of the times.

Love has grown cold. Only the exaggerated compassion for animals above humans is all that is perpetuated in the world any more. Therefore, other humans will be perceived as animals. Fear has now a stronghold in the world again.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Don't all US police carry Tasers as well, a Knife wielder can be easily incapacitated with a Taser, as an outside it seem's that there is something seriously wrong stateside in the way the civil law enforcement and PROTECTION forces are being trained and how they are applying that training, I know it is a gun society but surely there was another way here and the officer simply acted as he was trained which was poorly.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bservant
What is all the training for?

To punish and enslave.

Keep the TPTB's peace...

I don't believe the training is where the problem lies.

LEO work should be the most ethical profession in society.

Just the opposite seems to be true just like the SIG quote says.

The corruption lies deep within the system going all the way up the chain according to many LEO's:

I just recently retired as an Officer in New Hampshire. I have been offered numerous other LE jobs and I'm here to tell you that I will never ever put a uniform on again. It is not the public that makes the job so degrading but the administration.I Wish I Never Became a Police Officer

I can only speak of my experience as an officer. It has been said here many times and I agree 100% that the most stress you will encounter in this job comes from within your own department. 99% of this stress comes from administration (puppet chiefs, arrogant supervisors, selfish agendas, etc.). More and more police departments are managed like a business instead of a brotherhood.

I Wish I Never Became a Police Officer

As a former officer I can only tell you what I have seen in a larger city department. You go into the job believing you are the good guys and see the officers who are the cowards and the criminals in uniform are the ones who get promoted and become your bosses. Even if you try to do the right thing and be a good officer you will always be a threat to the cowards and criminals who got promoted. Go into this profession with your eyes wide open, there are a lot of good cops and just as many bad. If you believe that being the good cop will get you anywhere you are sadly mistaken.

If you try to expose these bad cops they will destroy your career in a heartbeat and or get you hurt (call for back-up and nobody comes!) Even as the good cop you have to look the other way or you will be destroyed, It eats at your gut every day. Give me the dirtbags on the street anyday.. they don't cause the stress, the political machine and lust for power cause the stress. I was so glad to get out the day my pension kicked in.

I Wish I Never Became a Police Officer

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

It's really disturbing how many of these stories are coming up more and more lately...

Don't ever call the police for "help"

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This was covered in a thread a couple weeks ago I believe but there's maybe an important lesson here that deserves a bump:

You may not want to call the police to deal with a situation like this. It's definitely not the first of similar incidents where desperate family members call the cops about a suicidal loved one and the cops show up and kill the person.

I'm also reminded of that story a couple months back about the 7 or 8 year-old with the knife that the cops tasered.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think anymore, that you simply cannot call the police for any reason. I would be afraid to call the police now if I was having any kind of difficulties, there are too many bad stories.

I think now, the only time police should be called is if someone your calling on needs some serious prison time. Damn good cause and that is it. Cops don't seem to help anymore.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This is heartbreaking.
I hate to say it but the reality is, you should avoid calling 911.

They are no longer there to serve and protect.

I used to think they only shoot to disable you from running off.

Who wants to bet the kid was on SSRI's and this is why he felt suicidal?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Never call the cops. Is that clear enough for everyone ffs??? Reminds me of the dad who thought he'd teach his teen son a lesson by calling police reporting his truck "stolen" when he knew his son simply took it without permission. They shot that kid too. They're not psychologists, babysitters or parent counselors. They're an armed death squad. STOP CALLING THE COPS.

ETA Devil's advocate, the officer is in no way obligated to get stabbed because some kid has lost his faculties either, just to be fair.
edit on 14-7-2014 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It's so sad that this is how things are now. People not wanting to call the cops because they are more afraid of what the cops will do than whatever the situation is that requires cops to be called.

I would be afraid to live in the U.S right now. I'm not a big fan of some of the police up here in Canada. They only go after the serious stuff and the rest like prostitution, drug trafficking & traffic violations are ignored, even when the cops driving by see it going on.

The world is going to hell in a hand basket.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

He is obligated to protect and serve tho, in this case that ment getting this get some help, not shooting him. His self protection does not go above his duty, he decided that when he became a cop, that is why they get called "heros" cause they are suppose to put others ahead of them.
Not advocating he let this kid stab him to death, just to do everything in his power not to kill him unless it is a last resort. Once he gets physically attacked, fine he may be at that point. But before that, don't see how it has come to that point.
Maybe a jaded view but it's these type of stories that have got me there

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

ETA Devil's advocate, the officer is in no way obligated to get stabbed because some kid has lost his faculties either, just to be fair.

I agree that a cop shouldn't get stabbed because a kid has lost his faculties either but but don't most cops carry a taser? If that is the case then the cop should have used the taser instead of his gun.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This officer will get a promotion, he did in fact prevent the kid from committing suicide. Mission accomplished.
edit on 14-7-2014 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
M

originally posted by: Urantia1111
Never call the cops. Is that clear enough for everyone ffs??? Reminds me of the dad who thought he'd teach his teen son a lesson by calling police reporting his truck "stolen" when he knew his son simply took it without permission. They shot that kid too. They're not psychologists, babysitters or parent counselors. They're an armed death squad. STOP CALLING THE COPS.

ETA

British police can deal with knife carriers without guns so why cant US cop?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
who needs a hired Hitman when you can just call the cops for free? they always get the job done even when it's not needed and you can always count on them getting away with it without anything coming back to you! 100% guaranteed.

tired of your pesky neighbor? don't waste your money on a hitman! call 911 and tell them he is suicidal and was waving a knife around, they'll get the job done in no time, limited time only 1+1 deal they will even get rid of his dog for you don't miss out call now!.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If you love your family ... you don't call 911 on them.

Everyone needs to get this through their heads ... while you have time to rationalize what I'm saying.

Calling the cops often fails to deliver on your personal expectations.

I almost called the OP out on a duplicate post, but checking the source I see it's not a repeat ... unless one is looking at what the cops keep doing over and over and over.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vamana
who needs a hired Hitman when you can just call the cops for free? they always get the job done even when it's not needed and you can always count on them getting away with it without anything coming back to you! 100% guaranteed.

tired of your pesky neighbor? don't waste your money on a hitman! call 911 and tell them he is suicidal and was waving a knife around, they'll get the job done in no time, limited time only 1+1 deal they will even get rid of his dog for you don't miss out call now!.

What a brilliant idea. I'm currently hating my neighbours right now.

No , I'm just kidding.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join