It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shut up, I'm trying to learn ya all how to build a 'Tippy Tap'--- in pictures

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
So the first question is--- Just what is a Tippy-Tap?

Basically it's a field expedient hand washing station... Though I've used them as a kind of drinking/cooking water fountain too.

Africans and Native Americans came up with this idea centuries ago. Utilizing whatever natural materials were available

My daughter and I just built one for her girl scouts brownie project.

and if you can't watch a vid there here is an illustrated How-Too PDF

you don't even have to be able to read, just do what the pictures tell ya to do...

Oh and why would you even bother making a Tippy-Tap?

3.5 million children die from diarrhoea and acute respiratory infection in developing countries every year. Hand washing with soap can prevent these illnesses – it could save 1.2 million of these children.

We’re not talking about an expensive vaccine or a high tech drinking water supply scheme. We’re talking about the simple act of washing hands with soap.

Source

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

Oh and why would you even bother making a Tippy-Tap?

3.5 million children die from diarrhoea and acute respiratory infection in developing countries every year. Hand washing with soap can prevent these illnesses – it could save 1.2 million of these children.

We’re not talking about an expensive vaccine or a high tech drinking water supply scheme. We’re talking about the simple act of washing hands with soap.

Source

I don't think that handwashing is the major culprit there for those children. Clean sanitary water is still needed for any Tippy Tap. The Man who invented the Segway has a solution......The Slingshot

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

You are right of course...
But simple hygiene can keep folks healthy...

Esp when lack of facilities are an issue

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

S&F!

Both are excellent idea's and I see no reason why they both can't be done!

However this threads focus is on the tippy tap and I wonder if we can can come up with ideas to improve on the design without compromising its low tech level requirements?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Ugh. I'm glad I stay close to a bathroom these days. I spent enough time doing camping in the woods when I was young. Best to camp near a little creek.....or a porta-potti.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
What a cool idea. You avoid getting taps or containers covered in mud and dirt, so no-one has to clean the soap bar before they clean their hands.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Nice... thanks for the heads up I am going to give that a try this weekend.

And why to build it... read some of the books covering actual survival in areas that have had catastrophic war, economic collapse etc.. one trend I have read about is when things really go belly up people stop practicing good hygiene when struggling to feed and cloth the family.

If everyone else is dirty your chances of catching something goes up, keeping yourself clean and sanitary helps your body stay healthy to fight off infections viruses or bacteria... or at least that's the way it reads to me.

edit: that is ingenious.. I am going to build that just to see it in person..
edit on 14-7-2014 by Irishhaf because: Im slow sue me..

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

I don't know how you could possibly make it simpler?

the Calabash gourd design only requires a hollowed out gourd and a bit of cord.

with that one you nudge the base with your elbow to tip some water into your hands.

To me that's as low tech as it gets.

Still I would be interested to see if you come with anything cool..

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

With two young daughter's camping has turned into an excise in parking a trailer at a KOA then spending the rest of the time convincing the girls those red beetles are not positions and do not borrow into your ear to eat your brains...

I guess that's no worse than when I was a kid and the rumor then was about a certain candy bar having spider eggs in it...

At least my oldest likes to fish with dear old dad... But I still have to bait the hooks for her...
"Ewwww... That's icky... You do it daddy!"

edit on 15-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Exercise, poisonous, burrow.

No spelling nazi but had to say something.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AstralTrespass

That's what I get for trying drink coffee, watch the News and type one handed between bites of a rum raisin muffin.

lets see if I can spell multitasking?

edit on 15-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Lol, yeah I figured you were in a hurry or distracted.

edit on 15-7-2014 by AstralTrespass because: spelling lol.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AstralTrespass

Lol, yeah I figured you were in a hurry or distracted.

Distracted is kind of an understatement...
go read this to find out why...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Wow, that's messed up.

Good luck building that wall. Your gonna need a big pump too cause even if the wall holds, water will still come through.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Fishing can be a stress reliever....unless you are teaching a kid to fish. Then it can be one of the most stressful times of your life. They always want to reel it in and cast it again, hooking themselves a few times but mostly the one teaching them to fish. Any jackets or shirts on the shore winds up in the water when they cast. They seem to beat the hell out of the worm till it flies off and then come back for more. Makes you kind of think they are on the fishes side.

new topics

top topics

join