It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC Cop Testifies Faking 911 Calls To Enter Homes Is "Official Policy"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Another day, another corrupt Police Department...

A Durham, North Carolina police officer testified in court it's "official policy" for Durham cops to claim they received a 911 call from a residence in order to illegally enter the home under the ruse of a "safety check."

Indy Week reports:
Several Durham police officers lied about non-existent 911 calls to try to convince residents to allow them to search their homes, a tactic several lawyers say is illegal. The officers targeted residences where individuals with outstanding warrants were thought to be living, and told them that dispatch had received a 911 call from that address, when no such call had been made.

However, Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez says the 911 tactic was never a part of official policy. Last month, the department officially banned the practice, according to a memo from Lopez.

The tactic came to light at a court hearing on May 27, when a Durham Police officer testified it was part of official departmental policy. The hearing involved a defendant who had been charged with marijuana possession. (The INDY is not naming the defendant because the charges against her were dropped.)

www.informationliberation.com...

I'm guessing that this happens in other places as well...why stop in Durham?

I wonder how many people across Police State USA have had to deal with similar practices.

Nothing surprises me anymore, it's still maddening though.

This is a very deceptive way to gain entry into an unsuspecting citizen's home and it angers me to think that people may be rotting in jail due to the police gaining entry under false pretenses such as these.

As disgusting as the practice is, I must admit that it's quite clever...until the PIGS got caught.
edit on 7/14/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is highly disturbing. Not for the initial fact that its LEO's doing it but for the fact that once people know about this and react to it, might it effect genuine calls?

If i dial 999 (911 in states) of course i expect a fast response, but there should be no doubt if its real/called for.

Shady # for sure.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Corruption Exposed
As disgusting as the practice is, I must admit that it's quite clever...until the PIGS got caught.

There's nothing clever about it.

It happens all the time. They even do it on the roadway when they say their dog alerted to drugs.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Didgusting!

I wish I could post how I really feel

edit on 14-7-2014 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Corruption Exposed

This particular "tactic" is such a flagrant violation any caught using it should be summarily dismissed. No panel, commission, 2nd chance. You're out.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

In Detroit, cops will stop you for any reason at anytime.

I'm a walker, and almost every single time I am out walking aftdr 11pm, I get stopped.

Their reason?

"We got a call about a suspicious man entering people's yards."

Or...

"There have been numerous vehicles broken into on this street recently."

Or some variation...

And boy, does it piss them off if you are innocent and/or if you know your rights.

One time, I was standing in my yard when a k9 ran up on me and knocked me down. They told me I was going to prison, hit me, and refused to listen to anything.

Some guy, a few streets over ran his ford probe into the side of an F-150. It completely totaled both cars, and badly injured the driver of the truck. The driver of the probe got out and took off running into my area.

The cop dog lead them to me.

I told them, I don't own a car, I have no license, and I don't even ride in cars anymore.

To them, that was the worst lie they ever heard.

My wife came out and confirmed everything I said was true...

"Where's your husband's Ford probe?"

"My husband does not have a car."

Meanwhile in one of the squad cars, where I am handcuffed and wondering if Ashton Kutcher is about to run up, a cop says to me...

"Yeah, we got a lot of neat toys that help us find our man."

After playing the incident over in my head quickly, I asked...

"The dog?"

This guy flipped out on me... calling me stupid, coward and some bad words.

They took me to the witnesses...

"That's not him."

They were so mad they ran my name on 3 different searches...

They apologized, but they sure as hell did not mean it.

They were fuming!

And why?

NO REASON AT ALL!

I hate cops, and I wouldn't call them for ANY reason. EVER.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I have seen this kind of thing being played off as prank calls in an effort to get someone's house raided. I have a funny feeling that many of these so-called prank callers are actually working for the department.

This will certainly damage the US populace's trust in law enforcement even further. Instead of rectifying the problem, law enforcement agencies will probably respond with more militarization and continued or increased use of tactics unbecoming of their profession. For the most part this is how they have responded in the past. Overall it's a negative feedback loop where negative action begets negative press begets negative perception begets negative reaction begets negative press...

The final effect is the further separation of law enforcement from the people they serve, making their job not only more difficult, but possibly resented.

The police situation in the US is far from what it should be.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: th3dudeabides

This particular "tactic" is such a flagrant violation any caught using it should be summarily dismissed. No panel, commission, 2nd chance. You're out.

I agree that they should definitely be dismissed but I would also recommend severe criminal charges. It appears to be department policy so it might go way up the food chain which means it's time to "clean house" in Durham, NC.

We get mad at the cops (rightfully so) but many people sometimes forget about the innocent families who have had their lives ruined by these crooked police departments.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

This was probably an "off the books" rule and the cop who is not stating it's (official policy) wasn't smart enough to know his place along the thin blue line. I saw the Chief on the news last week talking about this and didn't sound very sincere then either.

The laws exist for a reason. If the damn cops are going to break them to "make their job easier", then what other laws can we disregard?

Police, lead by example, not because you have a flash badge and gun.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: applesthateatpeople

I also never ever call the cops due the fact that EVERY interaction I have had with them throughout my life has been unpleasant.

I walk a lot of the time as well and often get stopped by a cruiser - it goes like this...

Officer: (stops beside me) "Excuse me, may I please see your identification".

Me: "Hello officer, may I please ask why. Have I done something wrong?"

Officer: "You fit the description of someone who just did a break-in"
(I live in a high crime area and they use this as their justification for stopping anyone)

Me: "Well may I please ask what that description is?"
(this usually pisses them off)

Officer: "This is a high crime area and we need to see your ID".
(this is usually when they waddle out of their cruiser with hand on gun/taser)

Me: "Ok, sure no problem. Here is my ID".
(I know what can happen if I push my luck so I give in)

From that point on I explain to them that I have been continuously harassed by their peers and that I am tired of being treated like a criminal when I am in fact a very productive member of society - I also kindly remind them that my taxes pay their salary.

Sure this is just a general description of multiple interactions and is not an accurate step by step analysis, but that is generally how it goes.

I won't even get into the multiple times where I have been physically assaulted by the police from Coast to Coast in this once great country (Canada). It's like we have the Gestapo running around saying "Let me see your papers".

They have also barged into my home several times without proper permission when I was younger for reasons that were obviously based on lies.

Police corruption is rampant and only seems to be getting worse, or maybe due to social media and camera phones we are hearing about it more.

Due to this OP article I now have another reason to fear the cops!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The laws exist for a reason. If the damn cops are going to break them to "make their job easier", then what other laws can we disregard?

Police, lead by example, not because you have a flash badge and gun.

If only it were so easy - that badge gives a lot of them the impression that they are above the law. I know not all officers think like this but why else would these cops abuse their power?

You are definitely right, they should lead by example and if we were to follow their example then it's perfectly fine to break the law according to their own logic.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Im sure that most of the time the house they raided (made 'legitimate' by these fake calls) are in fact a good thing, most people dont know a meth lab is next door - they are sure happy when it does get raided, regardless of the meth-ods. (not sorry for bad pun, suck it)

But the issue is the people that arn't breaking any laws or doing any shady business that might have their god given right to privacy abused. Its a thin line, a thin blue one.

edit on b2929131 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: applesthateatpeople

Did you say you live in Detroit? So, really...how are you that surprised that the cops are like that? Would you rather them just pass by a lone male walking the streets after dark....in Detroit?

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

Would you rather them just pass by a lone male walking the streets after dark....in Detroit?

Since when is it illegal for a lone male to walk the streets at night in Detroit?

Are you suggesting that anyone walking the streets in Detroit at night should be stopped by the police? Personally, I don't agree with this point of view - but to each their own...

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I'm glad to hear the charges were dropped against the resident.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

In a word

Yes

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

More to this.

You can have every house raided with drugs in your area with fake 911 calls and thats good but the ONE time YOUR house gets raided with the same methods due to suspicion suddenly its a travesty of personal space invasion.

You cant have it both ways unfortunately and people make mistakes, but is one accidental raid worth ignoring 99 successful raids?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

In a word

Yes

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I'm not sure where you're located (The UK I presume) but here in North American Law Enforcement has a habit of over-stepping their boundaries when it comes to invading people's privacy in the comfort of their own homes. It has become such an issue that people are afraid to call 911 or the police.

If you call the cops there is a good chance you might get tasered, shot, or at the very least your dog might get shot - all of these possibilities are something most people would like to avoid. So now we don't only have fear the cops response to our own calls, but now it looks like some people are in danger of being raided due to false 911 calls with the intention to set the victims up for what ever reason.

I've lived in the USA and Canada and have experienced and seen similar abuses first hand. That being said I do know that the UK has a police corruption issue as well but I am not informed enough to make a valid observation (My apologies if my assumption of you living in the UK was incorrect).

The privacy and comfort of one's home is sacred and should not be violated unless the reasons are valid in my opinion. Sadly this sacred haven is being infiltrated by crooked cops.

According to the article this is not a one off and happens quite frequently - and that is only locally. Imagine the numbers nation wide.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

I'm glad to hear the charges were dropped against the resident.

Me too!

Nothing worse than having your home unlawfully broken into for a trumped up marijuana possession charge which can be very bad news depending which state you are located in. Even minor offenses can ruin your career which lead to wrecked homes. These thugs have no shame.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join