It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning a USA tip to the south any suggestions.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
While in Atlanta, GA. go to Ruby Falls.. You will be happy you did!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I know my fellow Brits I have let the side down....but I wanna have a go with a gun just once

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
I know my fellow Brits I have let the side down....but I wanna have a go with a gun just once

Well, you know what they say. Once you go black (rifle) you never go back.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
If I may suggest a good English to Southern translation guide would be helpful so that way you will be able to understand the people and enjoy your trip more. If you are unable to find a guide here is a link to help you out.
A Glossary of Quaint Southernisms

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Have you ever been to the USA?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
1. Well, catch a flight with a US destination; that's pretty crucial.

2. When you arrive, look for signposts for 'South'.

3. Drive/fly there.

Well, that was easy enough.

Anything else I can help you with?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I would like to ask why you're starting so far away from the area you want to tour. Example it's like saying I want to explore Scottland. I'll start my trip in London. Atlanta is a day's drive away from the areas you want to tour. You will be looking a good day maybe two with driving. If you start in North Carolina you get that extra time in the places you want to see.

Ps
Since you will be driving past this area you could plan on seeing tidewater. Norfolk and vicinity. Williamsburg. Yorktown and Jamestown. The heart of American history was forged here. Plus since we named all of our cities after ones in England you'll feel right at home. And we have great entertainment too. Beaches, amusement parks, water parks, world class museum's like the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk. They have art from all over the world but my favorite room is for the impressionist. They have Renoir and Monet s on display. And those ruddy checked children of Mary Cassat.
edit on AM000000310000000772931312014-07-14T11:31:05-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AM000000310000000772938312014-07-14T11:38:19-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Airports.

Though could start in DC and move down then up again?

Its just cheaper to fly into the main airports from the UK to USA

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
1. Well, catch a flight with a US destination; that's pretty crucial.

2. When you arrive, look for signposts for 'South'.

3. Drive/fly there.

Well, that was easy enough.

Anything else I can help you with?

You call that helping? Or you know you just had to be seen and heard.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Somebody suggested dropping by the Outer Banks on the first page. It isn't exactly "on your way" to Richmond as it sounds like you'll be heading up through the mountains. The mountains are very beautiful, I've only been once and I'd love to go again. The Outer banks would be more like a 9-1/2 hour detour east, just a fair warning. I'm not telling you to not try it, we have plenty to do and see around here. NC Aquarium, Wright Brothers Memorial, Lost Colony, Festival Park, lighthouses, nature reserves, lots of hiking trails and beautiful beaches. You'll learn a lot about the early English settlers to this land and the Native Americans. Very worth it if you're into it.

And if you do decide to head this way, don't be afraid to drop in and say hello to a fellow ATSer!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Tennessee, SC...there are many awesome places for you to go. If you like hiking, try Pocahontas county WV. Seneca trail - virginiatrailguide.com... - is one of the highest places in the US and certainly one of the best and most beautiful hiking places in the world. Just tour the Appalachian Trail. If you like hiking.......

Good luck and have fun, but most of all, be safe.
edit on 14-7-2014 by Fylgje because: to add link

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
For historical purposes,

Definitely check out Yorktown and Williamsburg, VA.

"Colonial" Williamsburg is cool, it is set up like the 1700's, complete with the carriages and the red-coat outfits and all.

Next, within a short 20 minute drive is the Yorktown battlefield, where General Cornwallace surrendered to Patriot and French forces. The redoubts are still there, the fields are still wide open, and there's little visitor's centers and what not explaining things.

From there southward, 45 minutes away is Virginia Beach, VA, a major tourist destination apparently, although I don't see why. There's alot of businesses and an almost .. Myrtle Beach like strip along the boardwalk.

From there southward, There's the Outer Banks, which I never found too exciting, lol, but other people do. I'd skip North Carolina altogether and stop through Myrtle Beach area, South Carolina. Murrell's Inlet area is nice. If you go there, make sure to try to eat at Lee's Inlet Kitchen, only open for dinner, fresh caught seafood, it's some of the best I've had.

www.leesinletkitchen.com...

Of course from there you could see Atlanta, GA, but keeping along that route is Orlando, FL, where Disneyworld is (lol). Further south along that same route is the Florida Keys and Key West, 90 miles from Cuba.

As far as going further inland, I don't really know too much about all that, I've been living on the coast for most of my life.
edit on 7/14/2014 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Might be worth a visit to a sheriffs office as when my cousin went when he was a kid he ended up with a proper sew on sheriffs badge and got me a detention officers badge, who knows what sort of freebies you might be able to get from various places if you pop in and be friendly

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: crazyewok
On the subject of guns...
A sneaky little pleasure as a Brit im not supposed to want

But

Can a non US citizen go to shooting range and hire a gun

Yes! Just try not to aim at Bracken, he has a multi-decade streak going.

LOL True!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
For a slice of Americana in the region you will be traveling, I might suggest a few things...

1. Tubing the Nantahala in Bryson City, NC - tons of fun and *cold* water

www.deepcreekcamping.com...

2. Canoeing, kayaking or paddle boating at Hungry Mother State Park in Marion, VA - scenic, old fashion fun

www.dcr.virginia.gov...

3. Beaufort, NC - scenic coastal town

www.beaufortnc.org...

4. Ordering a dog and strings at the Varsity in Athens, Ga

www.thevarsity.com...

Or, scrap all of that and head to the Deep South...the Gulf Coast...Destin and keep going to New Orleans.
But, no matter where you go, eat local - preferably BBQ, soul food, home style or seafood.

Wherever you go, stay safe and have fun!

edit on 7/14/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/14/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Thanks guys.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This may have already been said but Come to New Orleans ! ( for the history and food)

Oh and also so you can for once in your life have fish and chips done Right. No vinegar on our fish, just a golden brown Cajun fish fry coating mixed with (non hot) spices - as well as the Cajun battered fries. I keep saying one day I'm going to live in the UK and teach those folks what they have been doing wrong all these years fish and chip wise LOL

But seriously. I have lived and eaten all over the USA and I always come home because there is NO place in the USA that has the diversity and flavor of food like we have in the South like New Orleans. Most people above the Mason Dixon line don't use any spices or herbs whatsoever save perhaps salt and pepper. Folks in New York use salad dressing ( like Helmans) on sandwiches instead of mayonnaise - I asked them what they use mayonnaise for.. they said they put it on salads! I learned this living in upstate NY for 8 months.. man these folks have no clue how to eat.

Come to New Orleans, you won't regret it.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

I do have to agree that New Orleans (NahLins) has some great food! I remember this little dive of a restaurant in the French Quarter that served the very BEST bbq shrimp I have ever eaten!!! Fantastic stuff! And there is nothing quite like eating brunch on a balcony in the French Quarter and watching the street musicians setting up. One of my fave restaurants in New Orleans is no longer there...The Plantation burned down sometime back in the 70s, I believe.

But then I can also recommend ribs at BB Kings in Memphis or Nashville, Tennessee! Soul food in Jackson, Ms.

I am sure that Atlanta has some top notch eateries as well...you just need to discover them, as I cannot help out.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Think before you open your mouth about politics while in a bar there?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I suggest going to Savana GA, CharlestonSC, And the outer banks of NC. Both big cities have amazing history and plenty of tours to show you things you will enjoy. The outer banks is just an amazing place to visit. You can see wild horses running free, eat amazing seafood, and see sunrises that will make you cry.

If you go to the mountains, in NC there is the Nanatahala river where they have white water rafting tours which are lots of fun, then try tubing down a stream. (you float on an intertube with a cold beer and slowly watch nature pass by)

DC is amazing and you will always wish you had more time to spend there. The south eastern US is beautiful. If you like to golf, let me know. And it's safe.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join