It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning a USA tip to the south any suggestions.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718
a reply to: crazyewok

Some people are overly paranoid - it isn't that bad at the airports.

It might be out of your way, but Savannah in Georgia is a great place to visit.

There's also Chattanooga in TN - lot's to see there.

Il note that down

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
ahh well the law enforcement in America aren't known for their high level of intelligence, and being from another country with an accent will make you "different" and this to an empowered retard with a badge could make you a terrorist

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Sounds like a cool road trip you have planned there , my only suggestion is enjoy yourself and steer clear of anyone with a banjo.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Sounds like a cool road trip you have planned there , my only suggestion is enjoy yourself and steer clear of anyone with a banjo.

What about my mate thats coming with me? He plays the banjo? Do I live him in Atlanta?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Your trip sounds fun!

Here are my suggestions. If you plan on going to Charleston, I would actually add Savannah, Georgia to my list. I'd swing south from Atlanta, and go to Savannah, then up to Charleston. Savannah is the oldest city in Georgia, absolutely beautiful, and just across the border from South Carolina anyway.

The Blue Ridge Mountains takes you out of your way, but they're definitely worth seeing. I suggest driving the Blue Ridge Parkway specifically, there are lots of pullover viewing areas and spots where you could get in some hiking. The drive can be a bit frightening, you're literally driving on the side of a mountain!

Southerners are friendly, if a bit curious. And for the love of god, don't ask for directions!

Once you head back to the coast towards DC, I agree with what someone else said, you might as well drive up through the Outer Banks area, it's beautiful and there are some forts along the way that you could stop and visit.

I've never been to Richmond, so I have no thoughts on that.

Good luck driving in DC! I recommend parking and walking to all the tourist monuments.

When you're in the south, please Do eat some southern bbq. When you're in Georgia, you will quite likely pass a roadside stand selling peaches. Buy some! They're delicious.

Employ your manners when in the south, and you will find the same in return. (Especially in any smaller towns). The cities are like those anywhere, some jerks and some great people. You'll be as safe as you are anywhere else!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If you're considering Charleston, SC I'd recommend Jekyll Island GA or Savannah, instead. Jekyll is a truly unique place where the uber-rich used to "summer." There are exquisite old houses and a clubhouse that's been made into a resort. You can play croquet on the lawn, buy penny candies and homemade ice cream, and rent bikes to roam all over the island. And Savannah, called Charleston's "sister city," is in my opinion, more atmospheric and fun than its more uppity counterpart.

If you head the other way, north to the Blue Ridge Pkwy and Appalachians, you'll enjoy some beautiful mountain views and great hiking. And no, the people there are not all "Deliverance" types. They're mostly very nice and accommodating. I would read David Paulides "Missing 411: Eastern US" before going, and just exercise caution when you're on the trails.

An hours drive north of Atlanta, you'll find the North Georgia mountains with quaint towns like Dahlonega and kitchsy Helen. You don't have to wander very far to find some beautiful scenery.

I agree with the previous poster -- the Outer Banks and Ocracoke NC are lovely places, too. Please just watch out for rip currents if you swim there.

There's not much I can say about the TSA. Sigh. But, I wouldn't let a 1-minute inspection stop you from experiencing all that this lovely area has to offer. Have fun!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I dont know man... i can see you getting busted down to Gitmo' when they find an an Englishmen hiking taking pics or gathering "intel" they will probably think your an operative for the British secret service gathering intel for a counter attack for the loss of the revolution lol

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

just sayin'.....

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

I was curious about Savannah actually so will again add that in.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
I dont know man... i can see you getting busted down to Gitmo' when they find an an Englishmen hiking taking pics or gathering "intel" they will probably think your an operative for the British secret service gathering intel for a counter attack for the loss of the revolution lol

Well I was going to bring my redcoat

I aways wanted pic of me outside the white house in it HAHA!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Word of advice - plan your drive times around rush hours of big cities, especially Atlanta. Plan a ghost tour or two. Not for ghosts of course, but you get to learn and see some neat history during these tours.

I saw the Smithsonian mentioned above, you can kill a day easily there. I could have spent a week walking through there.

Are you bringing children? Taking a horseback ride through the smokies is very enjoyable.

I hope you enjoy your travels. Sip some sweet tea on a front porch and ya'll come back now, ya hear.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
Take it from much experience, you will not receive a warm welcome. It will set the tone for the rest of the trip, you will be angry and watching your back the whole time. Risk your vacation time and money somewhere else.

Why? Are people there just angry in general or is it because Im British? Did the war of 1812 not end in those parts?

It's the airport/customs welcome. Cold and mean, every time. Just looking for an excuse to crap on your day, or worse deny your entry. As a Canadian I get it particularly rough. I have had to go many times for business but I try to avoid going now as much as possible.

Don't just take it from me:
Woman sues over vaginal, anal exams in El Paso drug search
edit on 14-7-2014 by CraftBuilder because: of typos.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

No children woo hoo!

And yeah would do driving at night most likely.

And yeah the Smithsonian looks awesome.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Take it from much experience, you will not receive a warm welcome. It will set the tone for the rest of the trip, you will be angry and watching your back the whole time. Risk your vacation time and money somewhere else.

Why? Are people there just angry in general or is it because Im British? Did the war of 1812 not end in those parts?

Its the airport/customs welcome. Cold and mean, every time. Just looking for an excuse to crap on your day, or worse deny your entry. As a Canadian I get it particularly rough. I have had to go many time for business but I try to avoid going now as much as possible.

Don't just take it from me:
Woman sues over vaginal, anal exams in El Paso drug search

I had to deal with the TSA on my last trip to new york. It was a unpleasant experience to say the least.

BUT

Florida TSA seemed more chilled and not much different from UK airport security. Not sure if Georgia is chilled like Florida?
edit on 14-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I had to deal with the TSA on my last trip to new york. I was a unpleasant experience to say the least.

If you fly frequently you can get Global Pass and TSA Pre Check. I have both and never have an issue, even at Newark International.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
You can spend an entire week in Washington dc and not see everything. All the museums and monuments are free to!
I would definitely recommend Arlington cemetery and the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. You will never forget that experience.
Williamsburg Virginia is fantastic for colonial sites.
The whole south has history to see.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I see you've visited New York before. The south is a whole different mentality. They don't have that "rush rush rush get outta my way" mentality that they do up north. Take your time and mosey around.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning
I see you've visited New York before. The south is a whole different mentality. They don't have that "rush rush rush get outta my way" mentality that they do up north. Take your time and mosey around.

sounds like my sort of attitude

Likely why I got along better in Florida!

Also got on in Chicago when on business. But that was likley as it reminded me of home!
edit on 14-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning
They don't have that "rush rush rush get outta my way" mentality that they do up north.

But you are in my way.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

LOL, I probably AM! Everytime I visit the city, I'm one of those *shudder* tourists, gawking up at the big pretty buildings! hahaha.... Of course, I do know enough to avoid New Jersey like the plague!!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join