It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comic Character 'Archie' To Die Saving Gay Friend from Gun Violence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
So long time American comic book hero Archie will be murdered this week. He dies saving his new gay anti-gun best friend from a crazed gunman. The comic publisher isn't saying who the crazed gunman is and isn't saying anything about him or her. But I can guess what is coming ....

Archie to be Shot Saving Gay Friend in Comic Book

Archie Andrews will die taking a bullet for his gay best friend. The famous freckle-faced comic book icon is meeting his demise in Wednesday's installment of "Life with Archie" when he intervenes in an assassination attempt on Kevin Keller, Archie Comics' first openly gay character. Andrews' death, which was first announced in April, will mark the conclusion of the series that focuses on grown-up renditions of Andrews and his Riverdale pals.

Keller's character first joined Veronica Lodge, Betty Cooper, Jughead Jones and Reggie Mantle in the Archie Comics spin-off "Veronica" in 2010. He later appeared in his own solo title. In "Life with Archie," Keller is a married military veteran and newly elected senator who's pushing for more gun control in Riverdale after his husband was involved in a shooting.

Also this ... the comic publisher openly says he's trying to 'teach everyone' about 'gun violence as well as diversity'.

In recent years, deaths of high-profile comic book characters like Peter "Spider-Man" Parker and Steve "Captain America" Rogers have made headlines and garnered intense reaction from fans. Goldwater notes that Andrews' passing isn't just a publicity stunt but also a lesson about gun violence and a declaration of diversity in the new age of Archie Comics.

So what happened to kids comics being entertaining and fun? Now a days they are being used as political tools for the publisher. In this case, left wing views on guns and homosexuality. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for marriage equality, but does sex stuff really belong in children's comics like that? I'm of a different generation .... Sex, be it straight or gay or bi, is private and belongs in the bedroom and not in children's comics. And the gun stuff .... no doubt anti-second amendment indoctrination starting early. We'll see in two days when Archie is murdered.

Like I said, I guess I'm of a different generation. This crap isn't anything like what I had in comics in the 60's. I don't consider this entertaining. It's more like a long running adult soap opera that has issues that are inappropriate for kids. (and yes, I understand that it's not all kids collecting comics ... my daughter is 18 and collects the Avengers type comics). I just don't like this propaganda and I don't like the publishers thinking they have to 'teach lessons' about gun violence. Nothing I can do about it though ...

Anyways ... posted for ATS discussion.
edit on 7/14/2014 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Interesting, but now Jughead will have Veronica and Betty to himself, so, some harm, no foul. As for Archie's ending, I had no idea the comic was still being written. Is everyone in the comic still in high school (I guess your OP says they've grown up now. So does Jughead still wear that little crown hat?)

EDIT: Reread your post. Spiderman died? Peter Parker? Who's next, Casper?

edit on 14-7-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-7-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

S&F!

Can we really say indoctrination of children is a bad thing if we need our children to pick up the language and culture of the tribe they inhabit

Can't we indoctrinate our children into good things ... is all mind control bad?

Personal Disclosure: I have no children of my own so when I say 'our children' I am speaking generally about us as the human species ok!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
In "Life with Archie," Keller is a married military veteran and newly elected senator who's pushing for more gun control in Riverdale after his husband was involved in a shooting.

Art imitates life, when in doubt, legislate.

Seems the authors could not come up with an original thought either.
edit on 14-7-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Jughead and Reggie will be phased out for being straight.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
a reply to: Aleister

Jughead and Reggie will be phased out for being straight.

Or.....

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
How brave, tackling two real issues in this country at the same time, gtfo this is getting a little over the top already..

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

So what happened to kids comics being entertaining and fun?

To be fair, Archie hasn't been entertaining or fun for many, many years. To have him die in a puff of patronization and high-horsed idealism is somehow poetic.

+23 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I am tired of hearing gays feelings are more important than children's feelings.
1%

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I just don't like this propaganda and I don't like the publishers thinking they have to 'teach lessons' about gun violence.

If you don't like this propaganda, there's plenty out there from every side of the spectrum. We are surrounded by propaganda. We just pick the one that suits us and move along.

Comics, cartoons, TV shows (for young and adult) "teach lessons" all the time. It's up to the writers what kind of propaganda they teach.

I personally believe in teaching kids the truth about the world. Gun violence exists and it's something kids pick up on and probably wonder about. Let the kids hear about it and decide for themselves what they think. I don't have a problem with this.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Kids still read comic books?

Who knew?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
This is nothing new though... Back in the 50's we got the comic code which were crazy rules saying what could and couldn't be put into comic books. It was "for the children." Then in the 70's and 80's the war drugs saw our superheros shilling for the Feds and telling us that only losers do drugs. Basically, beloved comic book characters have been used to push agendas since they were first started to be written.

To be honest, I didn't think that anyone still read Archie comics.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

edit on 14-7-2014 by korath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I enjoy reading. It provides an "escape" from all the craziness the world has to offer.

When I was young, I collected comic books. Superman, Batman, Swamp Thing, etc. . . These too, were my escape from reality.

It's been decades since I've even read a comic. So I can't even imagine when the transition from fantasy to political correctness took place. Hell, in my day, comic book characters even smoked cigarettes!

*beezzer just shakes his head and walks away from the madness*

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
To be honest, I didn't think that anyone still read Archie comics.

Which is probably why the publisher has decided to kill him off ... and is using a boatload of anti-gun propaganda to do it with. If the character was still bringing in money for the publisher, then the character would probably be left alive. IMHO

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Then in the 70's and 80's the war drugs saw our superheros shilling for the Feds and telling us that only losers do drugs.

They should have gone in the other direction. Veronica could have gotten strung out on smack and Archie could have pimped her out to Jughead who obviously never got any comic book nookie. They could then have started selling junk on the side from their basement lab and the Mexican Cartels would have came up and whacked all of them.

Makes the 'Dark' Knight look lamer at that point.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I might have start reading it at that point haha

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Its a shame that all the "entertainment" coming out of america these days is nothing but propaganda ..

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
As annoying as it is, its also a free country. He can write whatever kind of stupidity or propaganda into it he wants, I suppose. He may as well, given that the rest of the media is going full tilt on propaganda and indoctrination these days.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
Reread your post. Spiderman died? Peter Parker? Who's next, Casper?

List of comic deaths and how they died ..
List of Deceased American Comic Book Characters
Here's a surprise ... Wolverine gets ripped apart by Magneto. That's how he dies.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join