It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dementia and contemplation of the Soul

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I have experienced it with my own eyes.

A person's personality can dissolve as they get dementia.

I just watched a documentary on it.

Having been lively people previously - after dementia sets in, some of these people wander around aimlessly, walking out of the house, getting lost, and sometimes becoming bedridden, losing the ability for conversation. Sometimes they will forget their name or where they come from.

---

So I was thinking, here was a person with a particular personality and character, and after getting dementia became very different from the person he was previously. His entire personality, along with his memories was determined by the structure of his brain.

So if personality is determined by the physical structure of the brain, what is left for the soul to determine?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
So if personality is determined by the physical structure of the brain, what is left for the soul to determine?

How the thought process is exercised?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

This is a tough subject to deal with in the spiritual sense...

What I can tell you is... dementia is a horrible disease... period

Having been lively people previously - after dementia sets in, some of these people wander around aimlessly, walking out of the house, getting lost, and sometimes becoming bedridden, losing the ability for conversation. Sometimes they will forget their name or where they come from.

Actually it is eventually inevitable... and unfortunately there is no cure...

So I was thinking, here was a person with a particular personality and character, and after getting dementia became very different from the person he was previously. His entire personality, along with his memories was determined by the structure of his brain.

Its more like the lack of structure of the brain... the connections just aren't there anymore...

Many tend to revert to earlier times in their lives, and believe completely that their earlier days are still reality...

Spiritually speaking... they are still the same person, but they slowly lose the ability to control anything... depending on the severity of the case...

edit on 14-7-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well for starters, personality isn't determined by the physical structure of the brain, it's determined by electrical interactions inside of the brain. Your neurons are "used" to firing in a certain order, in reaction to various environmental stimuli. That pattern of reactivity is your personality.

As for souls, I can't seem to remember any proof substantiating the concept. Why would such a thing exist ?
edit on 14-7-2014 by Ismail because: he can't spell

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Ismail

Why would it not?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I have seen a man lose the ability to recognize his wife of 60 years. It is very sad. He could still remember the battle of Iwo Jima in detail.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Yep, totally agree. I've seen it in parents and siblings of parents.

We start as children, become adults and end as children. That's the simplest terms I can put it, as I see it.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Why would it not?

No, that's not how it works.

You say that inside of me is some intangible, invisible "thing" that defines everything that I am, and that this "thing" exists irrespective of my physical body.

I say pics, or it didn't happen.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

best way to think of it is that life experience /memories shape or mould the "soul" and that when the body dies the soul returns back to its original form.

Heres a thought experiment. Lets say a holodeck is real like the ones sen on star trek. The big difference with this one is that when you step through the door you lose all your current memories and are replaced with a character who has their own dreams and ambitions very different from your own. So the question is WHO ARE YOU?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
S&F'd for weirdness and interesting-ness

i wonder the same thing myself.. but then there is that stuff of the second death, entering the light, and blah blah

someone once lamented they were afraid of losing their own ego and going through with such a thing..
i didnt' understand at the time.. but eventually got around to thinking..
why worry? the fear is only because we're holding onto what we think we know (ego again)
the lamentation of the nursing home prisoner is ultimately the same as the maniac enthroned despot who thinks he has everything..

maybe it's necessary to "wash out" various kinds of mindsets that don't make the grade..
they say it all comes out in the wash..

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

Only God knows what a person is responsible for or not.

I know that my personality and thought process changed drastically five years ago when I got sick with neurological issues. It's very apparent. It effected the brain. Dementia can be even more so. I've seen that.

Jesus talked a bit about it in the gospels. I don't remember where exactly but I think I remember him talking about taking care of your father when his mind fails in old age. God made us and is aware of the mind failing due to disease. I think of God as the ultimate psychologist. He knows what comes from our spirit and what comes from a failing body.

Anyways .. that's what I think at this point.
It could change ... but for now that's where I am on it.

edit on 7/14/2014 by FlyersFan because: spelling

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

My grandmother of 90 suffers from Dementia and the late onset of Schizophrenia, its true they seem to lose part of there personality but underneath the delusions the person is still the same.

I have always wondered if the fact that dementia seems to affect people of greater years. People who are essentially preparing to depart this particular incarnation, in this timeline by way of death, are somehow privy to what's happening to their counterparts in alternate timelines hence the delusions, hallucinations and general confusion associated with said disease.

Probably a far more rational explanation involving the degeneration of our neural pathways but considering we cannot pinpoint the reason for these afflictions one has to wonder?
edit on 14-7-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ismail

originally posted by: Akragon

Why would it not?

No, that's not how it works.

You say that inside of me is some intangible, invisible "thing" that defines everything that I am, and that this "thing" exists irrespective of my physical body.

I say pics, or it didn't happen.

That's exactly how it works actually...

Just because you can't see something doesn't mean its not there...

I will require a picture of the wind before I produce said picture of the indwelling spirit...

And of course, not what the wind does or the effects it has on objects...

just the wind

edit on 14-7-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Because there is no proof of the souls existence. Feel free to blindly believe, faith, whatever. But without the brain there is no body. Without the body there is no brain...at least in the conventional sense...from what I understand.

Everything else beyond the physical is speculation or imagination. Or as most on here like to say... No pics? It doesn't exist.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

A picture of the wind is very easy to produce. Ever seen a flag fly? Maybe dust? Perhaps a tornado or hurricane? Your argument is idiotic at best. This topic of the souls existence has been hashed over for a few centuries at the very least...still no proof.
edit on thppmMon, 14 Jul 2014 13:33:36 -0500k1407America/Chicago1433 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

sigh

You should really read what I said before posting...

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Perhaps you would like to elaborate? I can read.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

I already did...

Just because you can't see something does not mean it isn't there...

One can not produce a picture of the wind anymore then one can produce a picture of the spirit...

You can produce a picture of the effects both have on objects... but not the actual thing we're talking about

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Well they do say that seeing is believing however in this day of age considering our knowledge regarding quantum theory I imagine only silly people assume as much.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I think you're on to something brother

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join