It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

supressed information, why jokes are funny. what makes a joke funny

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
 A joke has 2 parts, which are normally in non joking context a pleasure and a related pain, in joke context the pleasure is pain and the relatable pain is pleasure. It says it directly usually but sometimes it is implied.

It's not funny because it's true. I just told you why it's funny. Much like forcible tickling causing laughter it has to do with not being able to tell if something is pain or pleasure because it's both. Male and females have different tastes in humor. If you want to write jokes, analyze a few jokes, listen to alot of jokes and teach yourself because no system has been developed to teach humor. If you have any clue who the power is that be and is keeping information supressed I would love to know. Feel free to put on Wikipedia.

I'm going to explain a george carlin joke. "I wouldn't # her with a stolen dick" he implies he wouldn't have sex with her with his own dick (sex/pleasure is pain/unnattractive) he also implies it's possible to have sex with a stolen dick (stolen dick/pain is pleasure/sex)
edit on 13-7-2014 by mattsawaufo because: title metadata

edit on 13-7-2014 by mattsawaufo because: typo grammar

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mattsawaufo

Why can't a joke just be funny for a person whom hears it??

Have we as a society become so effed up that we need a scientific explanation as to what makes us laugh?

Should myself or anyone else make an appointment with our shrink to get the OK whether or not what we heard is funny?

Think about it!

edit on 13-7-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
As all for scientific explanations as I am, I'm of the camp that humor needs no microscope. One man's humorous joke is another's scowl. Take me, for example. I love women jokes. Love them. Other women don't think I should, but screw 'em, I like women puns. Everything from a blonde joke to a likely-to-be-perceived-as-sexist one. Not because I can relate to any of it on any personal or primal level, but because if we can't laugh at ourselves as a specie, we're effed. Humor exists to remind us to not take ourselves too seriously, and to simply enjoy a moment's simple pleasure.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
This is a very strange thread.

You got the George Carlin joke wrong.

(note the capitol letters, come on, the guy's dead, show a little respect please)

The implication is not that it is possible, it is that he would not use his and it is so bad, he would not use someone elses.

That is the funny part.

Humor can be analyzed, it is just that you need to analyze humor for every individual because we are all different.

Humor can be pleasurable, it can also be used as a coping mechanism, one that works and works well.

Have a talk to a fire man about crispies, that is some bad humor but it goes with the job.

What one man finds funny, another finds sick and depraved.

It can appear that people find everything funny, like at a George Carlin concert, but, pause for a moment, consider that everyone there paid to go see him because ...... they think he is a funny guy. (or was a funny guy, or perhaps he still is knocking the angels off their perches with funnies.

You can't go to the bible belt and belt out jokes about God, Jesus, the angels and heaven. They will not find it at all funny.

Funny is as funny was.

P

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Because information is power.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Your understanding of George Carlin is lacking my man.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
At one point in my life I was very depressed and despised jokes. It made me witness other people freely enjoying life, which I couldn't partake in at the time.

I had some rather warped reasoning about how all jokes require a suppression of awareness. I was dead set on this belief for a while. Felt above the stupid jokes. Then the narcissism subsided a bit.

I now think that, while there may be a kernel of truth to my train of thought, I was missing out on something much more important.

Laughter.

Now I do my best not to analyze that which causes me to release, and be happy. I merely accept the experience as a much needed rebalancing to all the deep analysis that fills the gaps between the fun.

Jokes require no depth of thought, they require the ability to momentarily uplift ones feelings.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Who's written two thousand jokes? Me or you? That's what I thought.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: mattsawaufo

I stand by my statement

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

No one becomes an artist by the quantity of knowledge collected, nor does the quantity of works dictate quality or expertise. True artistry, in any medium, is an innate talent. Carlin had that innate talent, sculpting his observations into humor flawlessly.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
You know why the monkey fell out of the tree?
Because he was f%@#ing dead.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I agree with Nyiah, two thousand jokes is a lot but ....

Were any of them funny?

P

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Some of the funniest people had the roughest lives. Sometimes you gotta make yourself laugh to keep from crying. You learn to find the humor or irony in everything. Sometimes things are funny because it's true but we never have the audacity to point it out.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: mattsawaufo

And no, I have never written a single joke, and I laugh at you.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

I agree with Nyiah, two thousand jokes is a lot but ....

Were any of them funny?

P

Ziiiiiiing!

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Joke example.

Do you think 10,000 years ago in 8,000 b.c. they were aware of the whole a.d. and b.c. time system?
Was there a guy asking "hey what year is it?"
And someone would answer "it's 8,000 b.c. god is coming."

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
why so serious?

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Joke example.

Do you think 10,000 years ago in 8,000 b.c. they were aware of the whole a.d. and b.c. time system?

I really did not find that amusing, sorry.

Try some others.

I am sure that someone out there finds that one funny, but not me.

Humor is very much in the ears of the listener.

P

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Joke example.

I heard that one before. The one I didn't hear was why the church hasn't already come up with something related to the second coming.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Then there is one about to two gay Jews raping a dead alligator.
...pause...no punchline.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join