It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's official, can't stand even being in a city anymore

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Yup.

I took me a long time but I finally live where I cannot see another house. Animals all over the place. I love it. The more I am here, the less I can stand being around other people.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
For many years I lived in a rural mountain village with 50 families. We all knew each other and respected each other....
Then the rednecks discovered our peaceful village and drug up their junky trailers, dogs and loud ill mannered kids. Essentially they ruined a small mountain town with their whitetrash behavior.

I'm blessed to be able to make a good living anywhere I have an internet connection so I sold out and moved to a larger more affluent village. Even though there are many more people the life style is very nice and close enough to the city where I maintain office where I can meet with clients if need be.

Often it's much quieter in the city away from all the dirtbiks, coalroalers, ATVs, Logging trucks, etc than in the mountains.

Eventually I should be able to live on a nice isolated beach Mexico, Central America or South America. I have many expat friends that
encourage me to semiretire and live the good life....tempting, but I still enjoy the competition, vibrancy, entrepreneurial spirit and challenge of the US.

They discovered your peaceful village?? lol BS

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Nope, can't do it much longer. Need to be in a more rural area. Going to start planning to move out and away from any area with more then 10k people.

I just can't stand how people think and watching the rat race and our culture slowly degrading and peoples general attitude towards each other.

On top of it all I just love being in nature. It's more relaxing. It feels better.

Anyone else been starting to feel this way?

are you homeless and jobless ? its not fun being a homeless in cities..

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoujikina
Raise my own food .. catch fish from the river . still keep in better shape than kids half my age with my daily practice of iajutsu along with taiji .. have no need nor use for all the modern "conveniences" and dont need or want all the useless rubbish people think they need to survive. Even less use for politicians or leaders of any type .

Am able to fix everything I have out here . nearest thing to civilization are a few local hmong villages a good days walk through the jungle no roads out here.

Will stick to my solitude and the tranquillity out here away from the idiocy of so-called "civilization" .

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
a reply to: Shoujikina
Raise my own food .. catch fish from the river . still keep in better shape than kids half my age with my daily practice of iajutsu along with taiji .. have no need nor use for all the modern "conveniences" and dont need or want all the useless rubbish people think they need to survive. Even less use for politicians or leaders of any type .

Am able to fix everything I have out here . nearest thing to civilization are a few local hmong villages a good days walk through the jungle no roads out here.

Will stick to my solitude and the tranquillity out here away from the idiocy of so-called "civilization" .

you should check with local laws about fishing fish from river without permit. it would be bad if you got caught trying to steal fish from the river.

i dont know the jungle got internet connection though, seems like everywhere you go in the wild you can still get your connection to internet .. the constant tether of civilization..

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: milomilo

Pffth .. out here in the border regions were left to ourselves as the surrounding countries consider it too much trouble to bother with us out here. aside from monsoon season get ok signal out here on mobile.

What they gonna do ? Bend my tags and force me to take my commission back ? lost my tags long ago ..
Besides theres still a few places in the world where that cesspool called civilization has no authority.

edit on 15/7/14 by Expat888 because: typo .. time for happy hour ..

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Pffth .. out here in the border regions were left to ourselves as the surrounding countries consider it too much trouble to bother with us out here. aside from monsoon season get ok signal out here on mobile.

What they gonna do ? Bend my tags and force me to take my commission back ? lost my tags long ago ..
Besides theres still a few places in the world where that cesspool called civilization has no authority.

you should do what others who really hate civilization did, cut off your internet connection , if you cannot do that then you are not ready to face the solitude of wilderness

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Yaaaaaawwwnnn ... how about mind your own business kid .. conversation over .. end of.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

The only way to escape it, is to be a hermit/recluse like me!

I live in a very small rural area, and let me tell you, I hate being around people! Sure, living in a city just compounds the fact that you will run into more insane lemmings than in a less populated area. But the ONLY way to escape the insanity is to be isolated from everyone!

Until you are prepared to do that, it doesn't matter where you move too. People have become.............I don't know the word to use at the moment...........

EDIT: Just be prepared though! To be like me gets you labeled with the illness of "Anti Social Behavioral Disorder"!

You don't have to be a hermit, you just have to be able to adapt to the people around you.

I live in a small community of about 300 people, one road in/out, on a lake, beside a river and surrounded by forests, wetlands and farmland. I'd have to drive/walk two miles to get to a county road and about six miles to a town of about 800. I am not anti-social, I just don't like asymmetric crowds that don't have common purpose or interest, or cities so this works for me quite nicely, especially since I know all my neighbors and we all get along. But then a lot of us think the same way, it is a fairly defensible location and the community "skill-set" although probably not complete, is more than likely around 90%. We all grow much of our own food as well and there is hunting (deer, rabbit, bear, etc) and fishing (trout, bass, pike, muski, pickerel, etc) available within a few minutes walking distance.

Here's another bonus, there's NO traffic and the gas prices are 10% lower than the city! If you can do it, rural is the way to go.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: milomilo

you should do what others who really hate civilization did, cut off your internet connection , if you cannot do that then you are not ready to face the solitude of wilderness

^^^^^...he wrote from the solitude of his wilderness....

Des

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: milomilo

I'm not speaking for Expat888, but I'm assuming that The thing with people like Expat888 and me is that the internet is only a tool. It's not a necessity for survival. It's to keep our fingers on the pulse, so to speak, not to mention, to feed our minds.

I too have pretty much cut myself off other than in a few areas. I love it. My family loves it. I too can fix everything on my land. I live off the land. I could support my family from here on out if the world stopped. I think moving into the boonies would do a lot of people a lot of good but they won't give it a chance.
edit on 15-7-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

Lucky for you. Be great to wake up and see that.

Unfortunately I live in London and at the moment can't get out.

I really am blessed. The same family of deer showed up again this morning while I was out drinking my morning cup.

Sorry to hear about your situation....truly, I am.

I've never been to London (only place I've made it to across the pond is to Ireland) but, I imagine it does have it's upside at times...even if you are tired of living there.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I could have written the OP myself.

I've always wanted to go far north where the population is scarce and the people are reputed to be gentle.

The problem is antisocial behaviour and crime...what's the phrase, "Hell is other people"?

I daren't buy a house because I know I'd get crazies for neighbours and probably become the latest sport for the local feral sprogs.

Not that I don't get that now or haven't had it, but I can just up sticks and rent somewhere else.

Being that I'm 53 now, I've got to get my sh!t together and do it or there'll be no point.

If I die 20 years from now no one will say, "But he was so young!"

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I just wanted to interject this wee bit of context: My current 'crisis' is that the local stores have run out of parmeasan cheese. Yeah, it's a problem, but not a daunting one. The cheese will come, eventually, and the community will buy in bulk and freeze it and there will be peace in the valley.

Secondary problem: There are no 16-oz canning jars. We have lids and rings for them, but no jars. There are quart jars, but no lids and rings.

You want problems like these.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
I'm not speaking for Expat888, but I'm assuming that The thing with people like Expat888 and me is that the internet is only a tool. It's not a necessity for survival. It's to keep our fingers on the pulse, so to speak, not to mention, to feed our minds.

Well I am not sure how far you are out cause here in occupied California, when I go backpacking up in the Yosemite Backcountry, there is no internet service. If you visit Yosemite Valley, different deal, but overall there is not a lot of internet service in the Sierra Nevada other than in some places like Tahoe or a few smaller cities or towns.

Course that is changing because of Satellite internet/mobile service, which is the future. So maybe you guys are running off of that wherever you are? Apparently they are claiming within 10 years, there will be worldwide WIFI. Only the herded Sheople will be required to pay for it though.

I know on that show Life Below Zero, that gal Sue Aikens, a 50 year old woman living in Kavik, which is 197 miles North of the Arctic Circle, lives in extreme isolation yet somehow that gal has internet service. So times certainly seem to be changing.

I too have pretty much cut myself off other than in a few areas. I love it. My family loves it. I too can fix everything on my land. I live off the land. I could support my family from here on out if the world stopped. I think moving into the boonies would do a lot of people a lot of good but they won't give it a chance.

Internet access is a good tool for survival, cause it's like having the largest library in the world at your fingertips. Plus, You will know if or when World War 3 starts. Ok done with my essay.

Glad to hear that you found some happiness though. I only manage to escape the madness of civilization a few times a year while backpacking and fly fishing. ~$heopleNation
edit on 15-7-2014 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
i dont get this. He is trying to get away from civilization and live in the wild alone, but he keep contact with civilization via internet , even replying ATS posts so fast. Personally i think this person is not in the wild but in front of a computer somewhere. No way you get good mobile signal in the wilderness.. Impossible.. And if you really lived in the wild most of the time will be surviving and not web surfing.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Forgive me for being religious but in the Christian Bible, God forbids people living together in large numbers (Tower of Babel incident)

And in New Testament, Jesus said not to go the ways of nations/people living together.

It's ironic that most Christians do no know these things in the Bible!

Cities create many social and environmental problems. There's a pretty good reason why people tend to get out of town during weekends - because that's how it's supposed to be!

The only most important reason why people stay in cities is for money which the mass media helped to make people overly dependent on it through unnecessary expenditures.

People used to be not as materialistic as today and it worked for us then.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ahnggk
Forgive me for being religious but in the Christian Bible, God forbids people living together in large numbers (Tower of Babel incident)

And in New Testament, Jesus said not to go the ways of nations/people living together.

It's ironic that most Christians do no know these things in the Bible!

Cities create many social and environmental problems. There's a pretty good reason why people tend to get out of town during weekends - because that's how it's supposed to be!

The only most important reason why people stay in cities is for money which the mass media helped to make people overly dependent on it through unnecessary expenditures.

People used to be not as materialistic as today and it worked for us then.

Sorry you dont understand the bible if that was your conclusion.. i recommend you go to a priest and ask for the real meaning of the scripture you mentioned.

Nothing in the bible even related to this so called green agenda of enviromentalism.. Earth is for Man and not vice versa.. Use it in responsible way just like what God told Adam.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm happy, as I have the best of both worlds. I've lived in some rather large cities in my life (Tokyo), and liked it. As get older, I do value more peace and quiet.

I live in a small town of a little over 6,000 people. It's one of the smallest towns I've ever lived in. It's a bedroom community suburb of a larger city. I don't have to go very far to go to great restaurants, shopping, and the like. The community I live in is quiet, many trees, lots of birdsong. A short walk away is a forest where I've walked and seen deer frolicking. It's a very pretty area, and serene. People are so friendly too. A few days after I moved here, I was out walking getting to know the area, and many perfect strangers waved and said hi. I hadn't experienced that in a long time. It made me feel like I made the right decision in moving here. Wish I had done it a long time ago.

My husband and I patronize a couple of restaurants in our town, and we almost always run into people we know that have become friends. It's a strong, wonderful community. I love it here. Wish I had moved here a long time ago.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

S&F, because I hear ya - I grew up in a very small, farm-based town for just a little over half my lived life.

This town has only two real "additions" - a gas station, and a Subway. the rest of it is all original buildings, surrounded by small subdivisions (I lived in the older, "old" sub as us kids called it). The lights are all flashing reds, 4-way stops. Well, after graduating and moving out the day after (sadly, graduation took so long I couldn't even walk around town to say goodbye to my childhood properly), I've been homesick ever since.

I've been to places like Detroit, and Chicago, and am not too much a fan of either (in terms of living). To me, the cities seem rushed, condensed, and everyone is wary of one another. I miss the atmosphere of the smaller towns, where you know practically everyone that lives there, the laid-back, relaxed pace at which everyone does stuff, and just the look of the place.

Lately, I've made up my mind that once I get to retiring age, and provided that the world is still decent enough for me to do so, I will be moving back there; don't care if no-one remembers me at all, at least I'll be home again.
-fossilera

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join