It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis: 'About 2%' of Catholic clergy paedophiles.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

ktla.com...

www.charlotteobserver.com...-Uk

www.statesman.com...

www.startribune.com...

Maybe that's because you haven't been looking or paying attention? A simply Internet search brought up cases in LA, Houston, through Charlotte and Minnesota, and there were more ... all elementary.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Of course it can be found in more than just the Catholic church buts been running rampant there for god knows how long. Actually god and the Vatican know for sure. We've known for decades now and we know they used to always just cover it up and move the priests to continue doing their damage. The church is disgusting, has proven itself disgusting with centuries of a dark history, and they've been losing followers steady for years now and now they're scared. This pope is their last hope, and he's doing a good job unfortunately.

Almost sounds like you're downplaying the churches child molestation history.

I guess we will just have to agree to completely disagree. No point going back and forth, the proof is in the pudding.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Like I said, I can't recall but you're right, I haven't been looking, especially in local news outlets. Now without even reading any of your links what was the outcome? The people in questions suspended/fired and arrested?

What has the church done? Not only is it bad enough there's A LOT of priests who molest children but these priests stick together and cover it all up.

At least the schools nip it in the bud. Can't say that for the Catholic church. They endorsed it with their non action, priest transfers, and hush money. Name one public school whose done that, cause I dunno, guess I'm not watching.
edit on 13-7-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
Almost sounds like you're downplaying the churches child molestation history.

I stated very clearly .. it's everywhere, and it's just as bad in the other churches and in the schools as it is in the Catholic church. Those are accurate facts and in no way downplays the problem in the Catholic church. What happens is that people downplay the problem in the protestant churches and in the schools. THAT is the downplaying that is going on ....

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Really its just as bad? I mean, maybe the number of priest molesting children vs every single teach in the world could be higher or lower, I dunno but I wonder if there's a website out there tracking all molestation cases. Maybe the FBI? Either way, they don't have the dark history of covering up every single case and transferring the priest to a new church where he is allowed to continue on molesting children. Why did not at the very least defrock the priest? Are they afraid he's gonna cry foul? Seriously?

No school is guilty of that, and I've read a few stories about Rabbis molesting children but show me what other relgiion has pedophilia that's as rampart as it is in the Catholic church? Hell, even the last pope, the one that retired, was caught up in a child molestation scandal involving hundreds of deaf children.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
Really its just as bad?

You didn't read the articles, did you?

It's in vogue to point at the Catholic church as the big baddie ... but in reality ALL the churches have the same problem and so do the schools. Read the information. And after that, go look it up. The problem is that the news doesn't report it. It only reports on the Catholics.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Which article? This one?

AP: Sexual Misconduct Plagues US Schools

Page 2

The findings draw obvious comparisons to sex abuse scandals in other institutions, among them the Roman Catholic Church. A review by America's Catholic bishops found that about 4,400 of 110,000 priests were accused of molesting minors from 1950 through 2002.

A review by the Catholic church.... their best number they gave us is 4,400. How about AP demand all their records, all of them, and do their own investigation? Nah, we'll just take the Vatican's word for it.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
How does this 2% compare to the % of them that are all around us. It seems low but in what context is it in. Does that number mean that 2% have been convicted and are let into the church? Does that mean that 2% of the church are activily involved in such acts? It would be bad if they actually knew that @% were doing this and they had proof and all they done was talk about it. I just do not get how they figure these numbers. I wonder what percect of the church are murders? I agree that if someone has been convicted then they should not be around children but really what do these numbers mean?

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I know in the Charlotte case, the teacher was retired and had molested across his entire career. I also know they have "rubber rooms" in some states because the unions protect the teachers so much that it costs more to try to fire a teacher who is doing "questionable" things than it is to just put them in a room all day with other "questionable" teachers. So, basically, they get a free salary for being "questionable," and some of those teachers have been accused of molestation.

So, it's not just the Church that can protect its bad actors, but the teachers unions do it, too.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

See that's the thing, never did I say it was only the Catholic church who is guilty of molestation. This thread is about the Catholic church.

I've not heard of such things as a rubber room or everything else you claim in your thread. While I would agree it was once hard to fire a tenured teacher I have to say those days are over. The power of tenure has been diminished. But as far as your claims could you post a link? I have to read about these rubber rooms and so on.

That said, it's awful children get molested at all but there is nothing worse than the Catholic church and child abuse.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
2% my arse! The church has always attracted all kinds of sexual deviants. It's culture begs abuse!

Court documents filed over the last several years in lawsuits against the boarding schools in South Dakota allege that as recently as the ’70s Native students were beaten, whipped, shaken, burned, thrown down stairs, placed in stress positions and deprived of food. Their heads were smashed against walls, and they were made to stand naked before their classmates.

“Father Pohlen sat me down, unzipped his pants, took his "------" out, and began to wipe it on my face and lips. I was terrified. I didn’t know what was happening. In later sessions, sometimes behind the altar and sometimes at his house, suddenly I’d be choking and something would be running out of my mouth. He’d also turn me around and rape me, hurting me badly as he used his hands to grip my hair, neck, or shoulders.

“He rotated among about five of us younger boys, which left me with such confused emotions. On days it wasn’t my turn, I was so grateful, yet I felt terrible that one of my little friends was suffering. I also dreaded the fact that my day was coming again soon. Worst of all, I had no one to turn to, not even God, because God’s representative on earth was the one hurting me.

“Soon a nun began to abuse me as well, placing me under her gown and rubbing my little hands between her legs. This was something the nuns did to other children there, too. It was horrifying, not just because of what she was doing but because it was dark and I couldn’t breathe. Other abuse included beating us with sticks, hoses, and even a metal shovel.

“The cruelty was strangely inventive. At bath time, we’d line up, a line of naked girls and a line of naked boys, which was embarrassing to begin with. We’d take turns jumping into a laundry tub and being scrubbed—scratch, scratch, scratch—with a stiff brush you’d use for floors. We’d then hop out of the tub with scrapes all over our bodies.

“Once, after I tried to run away, I had to wear a dress for a while, and when we went outdoors I was tied to a tree.

Read more at indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com...

You'd be hard pressed to find this kind of abuse in secular schools.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I wonder how many people here would allow a catholic priest to babysit their children?

And the issue is more that the Catholic Church is actively hiding and shielding it's abusive priests, moving them around to avoid prosecution and and denying authorities documents and information on abusive priests. School boards, governments and other organisations don't do his on such a global and historic scale.

I'm not sure how anyone, in good conscience, could be a member/peon of such an organisation...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join