It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, what about a Flag & Tag.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The star system is well and truly busted. I suspect it’s well past it’s’ use by date and needs an upgrade.

What about Flag & Tag.

The Flag system stays the same, although the introduction of a “thread views” would be interesting.

The Tag system replaces the Star system.

By Tagging a thread, members are able to see the names of other members who have tagged individual posts. This doesn't necessarily mean the elimination of the star graphic if you like, or even the number if you like that. I believe, however, it will provide for a more open and transparent community IMO.

As far as I can see there would be more pro’s than con’s with the introduction of a system like this and maybe it would open up a bit more honest and transparent discussion. As opposed to ridiculous posts being starred to the sh!thouse without explanation.

Anyway, I know this is not a democracy, but a thought worth considering nonetheless.

And by the way, if this has been proposed before, consider this as a refresher.

Myselfaswell

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

One of the benefits of the stars is that you can go to a long thread, read the first page or so, and then skip along the rest of the thread and read the well-starred posts. It is a way for readers to say "Yeah, stop at this one and have a look", and in that it does its intended job very well.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

So if a post isn't heavily starred it is not meaningful to the conversation. Truth by popular opinion. That's almost as bad as the MSM methods.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I'm not suggesting that capacity be removed.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell
edit on 13-7-2014 by myselfaswell because: whateva, same old same old. Too many seem incapable of reading anymore so I'm not really sure why I'm bothering

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
BEFORE WE GO ANY FURTHER

READ THE OP.

READ THE OP.

READ THE OP.

READ THE OP.

READ THE OP.

READ THE OP.

READ THE OP.

READ THE OP.

READ THE OP.

Seriously READ THE OP..

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Why does knowing the member that tagged a post be more meaningful than just marked via a star. A you saying that members would not, for instance, star a post (or tag) if it could be known they did?

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I wouldn't mind seeing a "negative" star. A thumbs-down maybe.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Why does knowing the member that tagged a post be more meaningful than just marked via a star. A you saying that members would not, for instance, star a post (or tag) if it could be known they did?

I'm sure that would be that case. A lot of people like the anonymity. Look at the number of users who don't put their location? it's always easier to opine from the shadows.

By the way, let it be known that I gave the OP a flag!
edit on 13-7-2014 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
So, if I am reading it right, you want to be able to see all the names of everyone that stars a post?

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I like it the way it is and I'm sure it's on the books for repair or replacement.

I don't need members snipping at my heals because of what posts I star. Many of which I don't agree with, but have been well presented and thought out so in my eyes still deserve recognition.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
We are paranoid conspiracists.
Putting names to flags and stars wouldn't work.
Anonymous is best.
(although many times it's easy to guess who is staring posts.)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

It is easy to guess....but much harder to be right. And impossible to prove it.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
After you been here a while, you pretty much know who's staring what posts. Heck, the politics forums has their own gangs that star each other's posts.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
So, if I am reading it right, you want to be able to see all the names of everyone that stars a post?

If we could star posts on this thread I'd give you a star.....or would I?

join