It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scored a dream job at age 60

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Well 59 years and 7 months old.

I am sharing this story with you all hoping that someone elses good fortune can offer a little hope to others.

Eight months ago I moved away from the city to a small country town, I love being here and have no desire to return to suburbia in the near future to live,

The chances of getting gainfull employment in a town of 1900 people is fairly low, so I have been travelling back and thro for 2/3 days a week to help out my son's concreting business, 280 km round trip.

I saw the job advertised online some five weeks ago. Carpenter/Handyman required, I sent off my resume by email at 8.10 am, at 9.05 am my phone rang, We have received your resume and would like you to come in to talk over the position, (140 km away) I hadn't had breakfast yet... I did consider putting the interview off until the next day but thought, what the hell, you can have breackfast when you get back, I gave them an arrival time of 11.30 am that morning.

The interview went exceptionally well, the company does maintenance on Government housing, some of their work is rural, this is where I come in, my town is a 20 min country drive away from one of the bigger regional centres, It takes their guys 120 mins to get there before srarting work and of course 120 mins to get back to the depot, to state the obvious, the wotkers have lost four hours work each day travelling.

Since the interview I have had to get Police checks done, go through an Induction, last Monday I was in town working with my son, the deal was Monday and Wednesday working, Wednesday was called off due to bad weather so I told my lad that I would head back home on the Tuesday morning.

On my way home I called into my now place of employment to drop off the induction papers, not expecting what was to happen next.
Rob the boss loaded me up with work orders and sent me on my way, I started my first job on the Wednesday morning and I am just loving every minute of the last three days.

I leave home at 7.30 am which gives me plenty of time to arrive at the first job in the regional town to start work at 8am.
My pay starts at the time I leave home until the time I pull up my driveway.

The work consists of, fixing a door lock, plane a sticking door, install door stops or install weather seals on exterior doors, replace soap holders in the shower, you get the point.

At nearly 60 years of age, this job is a God send, I am the type of man that won't admit to my son's or anyone else that the work I have been doing (concreting) is too hard for my body, this way I can bow out gracefully, being employed in a position that I believe suits my age.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: keenasbro
So thrilled for you - seriously. Well done. Enjoy. This is a wonderful story.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Government housing huh !!! I guess they must need those houses ready soon for all the illegal immigrants. If it was in America.

All kidding aside, I hope it feels good to have a purpose that doesn't weigh you r life down congrats your 1 in a 100 sorry it took so long
edit on 07/11/2014 by Goldenwilys because: Add

edit on 07/11/2014 by Goldenwilys because: Sorry

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Congratulations! It's not often we read of happy outcomes and opportunities in a person's advancing years. So happy this is working out for you.

edit on 13-7-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life! Congrats

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I am so glad for you!. A job you enjoy is not work!

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
It's so good to read an uplifting story like this! Congratulations on your new job! SCORE!!

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Thanks everyone
I am in Australia Goldenwilys, the fact that the job is Government backed is a big, big bonus, the Company has had the contract for the last 18 years, I am hoping they can keep it going for at least another 10 years, then I can apply for a pension.
a reply to: Goldenwilys

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Maintenance on a complex is actually a good job. It doesn't pay a real lot usually but the work usually isn't that hard either. Once in a while there is some painting, but bigger complexes usually have painters do that. A maintenance man fixes faucets and door handles, changing a faucet does not require a plumber unless there is soldering and sometimes that is also done by maintenance personal and legal. Changing a light fixture does not require an electricians license either.

Congratulations on getting the job. I should try to do little jobs like that again, I had many little handyman jobs after working the bigger jobs in the evenings. I put many storm doors on and lots of garage door replacements. I don't even mind mowing grass if I have to. I've found how to control a few of my health issues now, maybe I can start small jobs.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
These guys are paying me $30 an hour to go out each day and enjoy myself.
If you have the skills to do a job and someone is willing to pay you, I say go for it rickymouse.
If health permits of course.
a reply to: rickymouse

edit on 12-7-2014 by keenasbro because: to add

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Congratulations! That's awesome!
So nice to hear some good news for a change!
There's nothing like waking up in the morning,
& not minding/even enjoying, going to work!

I'm 61 & would love to find something that I liked/could do!
I can't stand at a machine in a factory for 8 hours anymore!
I'm not proficient with computers.
The only computer course I ever took,
the 'computer' switched on in the back,
& it used floppy discs that really were floppy!
So anything that requires a computer is out!
And my memory isn't what it used to be,
so no new courses for me!

Older people have good work ethics & are reliable,
but it's hard to find a niche to fit into anymore!
Or a job that doesn't require a lot of stamina!!!
A lot of the factories here went to 12 hour days!

It sounds good! You only work 4 days out of the week.
But you are so tired, that you usually spend the extra day off
trying to get caught up on sleep! Even the younger ones!

My husband is thinking about taking early retirement,
but his employer hopes he doesn't.
He said it's so hard to find good people who want to work!
They don't want hubby to leave!
People, even on 8 hour shifts, sometimes quit after only a few days,
they say the work is too hard! Or a lot of them don't pass the drug test!!!
And even more don't care & do shoddy work!

I'm sure your employer knows,
that they found someone dependable & reliable,
that's why they responded so quickly!

Enjoy, and bask in the feeling,
knowing that you achieved what most people,
can only dream of!!!

WOQ

edit on 12-7-2014 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I can't even get thirty bucks an hour for those kinds of jobs as a contractor. Putting on a storm door gets you fifty bucks or so, it takes a couple of hours if things go well. Sometimes you can spend half an hour messing with crooked things that make it take longer.

Replacing a garage door takes about six hours and I used to charge one fifty for changing it and hauling away the old door. Some can be done in five and some take seven hours. Openers were an extra seventy five bucks to install and if I had to reconnect an opener to the new door I got a little extra.

Thirty bucks an hour pay for that kind of work here doesn't happen much. Try fifteen bucks an hour for that job here maximum pay. Cost of living here isn't that bad though, but wages are lower. The miners only get about twenty five bucks an hour here.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Brilliant, so good to hear some good news for a change.............all the best to you and your new job......

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I say $30 an hour, take into account, my tools, my vehicle, my petrol.
Also you are right, no one would survive on $15 an hour with the cost of living here.
Honestly I would do the job for less money, but hey, they made the offer. Happy days.

a reply to: rickymouse

Thanks again for all the replys, I just had to share with you all, I am over the moon.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
LIAR YOUR NOT 60!!!

that is an awesome story, and i'm glad to hear you landed it. You have knowledge of basic handyman stuff and now you reap the rewards! 6 years til retirement! (hopefully, but you won't retire, you'll get bored
)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Congratulation. Your skills aren't as common as they once were. Someone who can problem solve and do just about anything. I hope my son learns how to do everything from basic plumbing to putting a fence up to installing a floor...you get the point. Most people who grew up before computers are multi talented with around the home tasks. I associate computers casually. It just seems as if younger people (at least those I've met through the past few years), can barely figure out a screw driver let alone installing a dead bolt. I'm not saying all younger people - just fewer of them in my experience.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Roughly 12 years ago my younger son was a check out chick at a Coles store, I ask him one day how much he was earning a week, I can't remember the exact amount, it wasn't much, but I do remember telling him to quit and come work for me, which he did, he now has his own concrete company and employs people.

Yes, if you can get any young person to take an interest in building work it can only be a plus for them.

My son has problems getting younger ones to work, he want's to employ a young lad to teach him up, as he was through a friend od mine, not an easy task they young ones don't hang around long enough.

We were on a job a few weeks ago, the lads I was working with ranged in age from 22 to 30 all half or more of my age, two didn't make it through the day, to hard.

Sad isn't it!

a reply to: Dianec

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

It's troubling. I'm not sure what is causing this problem though. My son likes to help me with projects. He is young but is anxious to use the drill, the lawn mower, etc. I will be having him do lots of tinkering as he grows up. I am a female and can fix my own stuff. I lay my own floors, have put Sheetrock up (not professional but it works). I've helped put concrete down. I've fixed my toilet. I've fixed leaks. I can do just about everything other than electrical and windows. I don't have to but it saves money and is gratifying.

Hard work is good for the soul. It's also good for the mind and body. The lack of problem solving skills astounds me, and I can only attribute it to the microwave minute generation with instant gratification. The "i I want to be paid but I don't want to work" attitude is something I see often. I also see a lack of staying power. The grass is always greener (always searching for that instant gratification and satisfaction).

Concrete work is hard I must say (for me personally). But if your a young man I can see no reason why it would be too hard. It's a great way to build muscle, pays well, and you get to be outside all day. It's really sad when the value of work and experiences (even if difficult) are missed.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Hey, from one old man to another, you're still young my friend!

Great to see you're still active, best way to be and like you I just wanted a dream job, an easier life (but that doesn't not mean an easier job).

It's great to be working at 40+ when most are either working ungodly hours for little gain or are struggling to even get a response to their resume.

The secret to a happy life is to grow old and forget the problems that surround you! haha okay maybe not quite but for me it's having a work-life balance and that has to include good people around you both in and outside of work.

Good health and a great life to you, god bless.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Good for you!

Im only half that age but i would love a nifty job like that. I work in IT and i want to get out of it, i just dont have the time to earn and learn, the field moves so fast now i really would like a hands on job with variation.

I hope i dont need to be working when im 60, but if i am, i hope to land something like this as you have.

All the best and i wish you good fortune and an easy, relaxed final career

top topics

<<   2 >>

join