It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesn't see the irony in giving you a ticket for not wearing a seat belt......

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Seat belts are not protective on a motorcycle, why should it bother him he isn't wearing one?

Seat belts are not protective on a school bus, they have other protective factors.

Some city buses should have seat belts as they lack the protective factors of school buses (height, seat position, seat proximity), why are you arguing to make things more dangerous for everyone, than safer for everyone?

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Wear a helmet in your convertible car while not using your seat belt.
Bout the same imo.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
There would be far fewer traffic deaths and injuries if motor vehicles were banned completely. If this is about safety.... Why not make things very safe?
This is about money.
There isn't one bureaucrat out there that cares if I am killed in a car accident tomorrow. The insurance companies care if I am costing them more money when I am in a hospital.
One thing that this is not about is freedom.
The only person that is protected from injury when I wear a seat belt is me. I can't have the personal freedom to drive a car without wearing seat belts, when no one is affected but me? John Locke is rolling in his grave.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
There would be far fewer traffic deaths and injuries if motor vehicles were banned completely. If this is about safety.... Why not make things very safe?
This is about money.
There isn't one bureaucrat out there that cares if I am killed in a car accident tomorrow. The insurance companies care if I am costing them more money when I am in a hospital.
The only person that is protected from injury when I wear a seat belt is me. I can't have the personal freedom to drive a car without wearing seat belts, when no one is affected but me? John Locke is rolling in his grave.

There would also be fewer skateboard deaths if we banned them. So I guess we should not worry about protection while riding a skateboard?

Not sure what your logic is .. or if you have any. Maybe you should look up my other post where I highlighted how you are NOT the only one effected. When you injure yourself and can't pay your medical bills guess who pays? That's right ... me. As I said earlier, when you are able to sign a waiver saying any medical procedures you can not afford will not be performed then you are welcome to do it.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
The ticket is for breaking the law. If he's not breaking the law himself, he's not being hypocritical.
And wearing a seatbelt on a motorcycle would surely be dangerous, a good way to get the leg trapped.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
i was charged 600 bucks and 3 demerit points for not wearing a seatbelt !lol
but thanks for caring about my safety when you pulled me up on a road with no verge mr policeman !
i think they should only be mandatory in the back seat and people under 18.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

This is about money.

There would also be fewer skateboard deaths if we banned them. So I guess we should not worry about protection while riding a skateboard?

Not sure what your logic is .. or if you have any. Maybe you should look up my other post where I highlighted how you are NOT the only one effected. When you injure yourself and can't pay your medical bills guess who pays? That's right ... me. As I said earlier, when you are able to sign a waiver saying any medical procedures you can not afford will not be performed then you are welcome to do it.

Pay more attention to the freedom part.
Since when is it the government's job to pass laws that force me to make your insurance costs cheaper?
Nanny staters have brought us toilets that won't flush all of the poop the first time and end up using more water than the old ones. They gave us light bulbs that are toxic.
Like I said, it is all about money and your reply reinforced that.
Don't address the freedom aspect if you don't care about it anyway.

edit on b000000312014-07-13T05:48:02-05:0005America/ChicagoSun, 13 Jul 2014 05:48:02 -0500500000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

This is about money.

Pay more attention to the freedom part.
Since when is it the government's job to pass laws that force me to make your insurance costs cheaper?

It's not. Where did I say it was? I am not asking to have my insurance lowered, I am saying I am not going to pay MORE so you can be reckless. You talk about freedom and then ignore the consequences of that freedom. You want the freedom to do as you want and then have ME pay for it. I don't think so.

Nanny staters have brought us toilets that won't flush all of the poop the first time and end up using more water than the old ones. They gave us light bulbs that are toxic.
Like I said, it is all about money and your reply reinforced that.
Don't address the freedom aspect if you don't care about it anyway.

All of which has nothing to do with what we are talking about. Awesome red herrings though. If you want to smoke there are health consequences to that. I am not paying the increased cost of your medical care. If you want to not wear a seatbelt there are health consequences to that. I am not paying the increased cost of your medical care.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I don't want you to pay for anything of mine, nor do I want to pay for anything of yours.
Shouldn't pedestrians share the cost of auto insurance? They cause accidents every day. Why should you have to pay for their recklessness?
Yet, you do.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
The only irony here is that the person who made the image macro doesn't understand irony.

Seat belts save lives. The more lives saved and the fewer injuries, the less you and I have to pay for insurance. Or pay out when someone doesn't have insurance and is injured.

Seat belt laws are one of the dumbest things I've seen people complain about. It's really incredibly stupid to not wear your seatbelt. The chances of you being 'safely ejected' are beyond slim, along with the chance of you getting trapped. If you're worried, attach a seatbelt cutter somewhere in the car.

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

This is a stupid image macro. It makes no sense. If it was a cop in a car without his belt on or a cop ticketing a motorcycle, then fine. It is neither. For the record I think motorcycles should be illegal, but until that time comes wearing a seatbelt on one would be more dangerous.

Motorcycles Illegal?? Sacrilege!!

Anyone seen their premiums go down when since they instituted seatbelt laws? I wonder how much our premiums are affected by illegals? I will bet non wearing seat belt cost are insignificant in comparison to illegals on the road. The real irony is thinking the local governments are doing this out of concern for our wellbeing. Pure money maker.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Is the cop ticketing people in a car, or motorcycle? If it's a car .. there is no irony, only the inability to think logically by the person making the meme.

That's what I thought..I don't get it at all?

There are no seat belts on Motorbikes?

There's no irony.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

"I was safer than you doing twice the speed..."

And I'd probably get twice the fine for saying it...

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I started to make one of kids on a school bus. If seatbelts were so important then wouldn't our kids be in them? It's a business--a way for counties to make money.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
I started to make one of kids on a school bus. If seatbelts were so important then wouldn't our kids be in them? It's a business--a way for counties to make money.

While I agree that seatbelt fines are ridiculous, I have rode many public school buses in my day that had seatbelts. The bus that ran our pickup route all throughout my schooling was old and run down (I lived in a rural area with only crappy dirt roads, so they sent old faithful instead of the new shiny bus). Now and then our bus would break down and we would ride in the newer model, which had seatbelts. We always joked around and tried to fasten other kids' belts without them noticing. When they tried to stand to exit the bus, their reactions were priceless. Ahhh...those were the days.

As for the safety of seat belts, anyone who denies that seatbelts save lives is either retarded or hasn't been on the receiving end of a 60mph T-bone accident.

Anecdotal Evidence Below

Approximately 12 midnight after a very long day at work, maybe 2 miles from home (I was always told that car accidents often happen close to home), a woman ran a red light going way too fast. My cousin was driving, I was in the front passenger seat. The impact was on my side, slightly in front of my door.

After the impact, both vehicles rotated about 90 degrees. The vehicle I was in continued through a ditch, jumped over a business driveway, and came to a stop about 20 yards from the intersection. The other vehicle proceeded into a power pole with enough force that I was afraid of what I was going to see as I ran to help whoever was inside. If I wasn't wearing my seat belt I would have been tossed around that car like a rag doll, and it's very likely that I wouldn't have walked away from the accident under my own power. The police/medical staff that arrived on scene thought that my cousin and I were bystanders at first, they didn't understand how we came out relatively unharmed. In addition to my strong bones and occasional insanely good luck, I attributed my being in one piece to my seatbelt, and I wear it every time I get into a vehicle since that day.

I often see the argument that seatbelts also kill people. The only ways I can see that happening is if the seatbelt malfunctions and won't release in the event of an accident (underwater, fire, chemical spills, etc). This is just one of the millions of reasons everyone should at least carry, at all times, a very sharp pocket knife. My surgical grade stainless blade will cut through a stuck seatbelt like buttah.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I don't want you to pay for anything of mine, nor do I want to pay for anything of yours.
Shouldn't pedestrians share the cost of auto insurance? They cause accidents every day. Why should you have to pay for their recklessness?
Yet, you do.

If the driver is at fault then the pedestrian did not cause the accident. If the pedestrian is at fault then they are responsible for the damages.

If you are not asking me to pay for your recklessness why do you have a problem with me saying I have no issue with you not wearing it so long as you pay for the added risk involved so I don't have to? You are not making any sense. Either you are paying for the risk, or I am. I said you should and you got mad at me .. even though you are saying I should not pay for it. I am very confused by your inability to keep your story straight.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex
The only buses here where I live that have seatbelts are the preschool buses.
I'm good friends with a bunch of firefighters who've seen every bad wreck on our highway. They said that many people have been tore in two by seat belts and might've lived had they not been wearing one. Of course they don't know that, but still, it has happened.

Personally, I think the govt. is too much into our lives. It should be your choice as to whether or not you want to wear a seatbelt or not.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Ummmm yeah .. no.

While there may be a very small percentage of people who may have lived .... it's basically impossible to prove. It would be incredibly rare, and I am sure there have been a few cases.

Sgt. William Mahoney, an accident scene investigator for about seven years with the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department, which handles about 65 to 75 traffic fatalities per year.

"I've never seen a death that's been classified as having been caused by a seat belt," he said. "I'm not saying they don't exist. I've never seen one."

When we asked Lt. Col. Raymond White of the Rhode Island State Police if, in his 28 years in law enforcement, he has ever seen an instance where someone probably would have survived a crash if they hadn't been wearing their seat belt, he said, "That's never been the case."

www.politifact.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   

I am very confused by your inability to keep your story straight.

I doubt that you are confused, because it isn't that hard to follow.

I say that the government has no business passing a law requiring me to wear a seatbelt.
-You respond that if I don't wear a seatbelt, it costs you more in healthcare costs....

The problem is that you think that you are responsible for my healthcare. There is no reason that you should pay anything for anyone else making a poor choice in the way that they live their life.

Insurance costs?
-Why should anyone be forced by the government to buy a commercial product from a private entity?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join