It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

democracy works well in some places and not others???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
well my history teacher told me that he thinks (he has arab blood in him) that democracy will NOT WORK in iraq because when he was a boy, people listened to their elders or the main guy in charge and THAT WAS IT!!!

so he said democracy will not work in iraq because people living there for so long of a time, have learned to listen the the head guy and they don't have a say...

how can they be told they have a say when for MANY years they were told they didn't???

[edit on 2-12-2004 by they see ALL]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
sorry buddy, beat you to it.

To answer your question, it will not work in such a short term. Europe was monarchy for a very long time, but people gradually got more and more involved and now they are a monarchy, just like Iraq will be, if they don't kill themselves.

Surf

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
sorry buddy, beat you to it.

To answer your question, it will not work in such a short term. Europe was monarchy for a very long time, but people gradually got more and more involved and now they are a monarchy, just like Iraq will be, if they don't kill themselves.

Surf

true and i congratulate you...

but check the liberal forum

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Democracy will not work in countries which are controlled by Religion i.e Islamic States. Due to the laws of Islamic States, it is impossible for people to be free

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Democracy will not work in countries which are controlled by Religion i.e Islamic States. Due to the laws of Islamic States, it is impossible for people to be free

yeah that too

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
In countries in the middle east were Ideology is more strong than reason you have a set of believes that are hard to change.

The countries in the middle east are not one country each separated by borders but a set of main tribes that not matter where the border starts or end they are faithfully to each other.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
In countries in the middle east were Ideology is more strong than reason you have a set of believes that are hard to change.

The countries in the middle east are not one country each separated by borders but a set of main tribes that not matter where the border starts or end they are faithfully to each other.

good point...

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
they see all, you gonna argue or just say good points?

You can't be this nice.

Surf

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
they see all, you gonna argue or just say good points?

You can't be this nice.

Surf

well i agree...

what else can i say???

don't answer that

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

entirely false. There is NOTHING in Islamic law (I have read the Qu'ran in original classic arabic) that makes it incompatible with democracy. This is a lie spread to further debase the islamic state, and justify unilateral aggression.

[edit on 2-12-2004 by General Zapata]

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
democracy only works in places if the ground work has been laid for example even thou Aust & NZ were apart of the pommy empire both countries had elected governments that served the people and England.
In the middle east and Africa there was no such ground work existed.
In the middle east people went from tribes to holding the west hostage with oil prices.
Africa has seen an endless number of never ending civil wars , corrupation and poor forms of infrastructure have prevent democracy from taking a large hold.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Let's have another example of a country where democracy couldn't work for a long while... Russia.

For a thousand years, Russia was ruled by grand-princes and czars whose governing principle was autocracy. And this is not a vain word - one would address the czar, in official correspondence, as His Majesty X, Autocratic Czar of All the Russias. It goes even further - Russians considered themselves governed by two "parents": their Holy Mother the Church, and their "Little Father" the czar. The bond with these two entities was not only political - it was almost organic. You obey your father and your mother, no questions asked.

Russia was also the European country which kept serfdom the longest, until 1861. Before that date, aristocrats who liked to play cards would often gamble their serfs during social soir�es, and the poor driver serf, waiting outside, would often learn at the end of the evening that they'd just gotten a new master.

So fast-forward to 1917. You have a very large agricultural population, a lot of which are former serfs or sons/daughters of former serfs. Religion is still very present (Rasputin was a "starets", or "enlightened monk", and Stalin studied to become a priest when he was young). Most of all, these people are used to having one very powerful leader who makes all the decisions, and their role is to obey him.

This is why, even though Russia had a minority of scholars, intellectuals and revolutionaries, democracy couldn't take hold after the first Revolution that ousted Nicholas II in February 1917. This is also, in a large part, why people didn't rise up against the Soviet regime, especially under Stalin. Secret police, censorship, banishment to Siberia, they'd known all that under the czars; nothing was new.

And the nickname they had for Stalin was... Little Father, like the old czars.

new topics

top topics

join