It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male and female baldness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Thank YOu for this link to this website

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Reply to Anniewolf19

Here's my story.

I'm 46 and have very thinning hair. My hair started to thin a few years ago perhaps just after 40. I wasn't surprised really because my dad was balding too. This at first ticked me off to no end because you see back in the 80's I prided myself on my long heavy metal hair. I knew I would never be able to grow my hair like that again. For a few years I let it grow as long as I could stand it and tried to get haircuts that would lessen the noticeable balding spots. I looked for all kinds of ways to regrow my lost hair even considering hair transplants.

One day I got tired of all this fussing over my hair and just decided to shave it all off. You know what? I haven't looked back nor regretted it since, not one bit.

Bald IS beautiful - even on women. Don't fight it. Accept it. It's cheaper and looks great.

Now I can understand that women generally are way more fussy than men about their hair so it takes a lot more getting used to - no worries.. it's all in your mind. You have built up over the years preconceptions about how a woman should look that are just someone else's fantasy you bought into. Let it go. You don't need long beautiful hair to be beautiful.

Here is a good support group for women: on Facebook www.facebook.com... - Beautiful Bold Bald Women Support Group of Alopecia Awareness

And this one too: www.pinterest.com... - Beautiful Bald Women on Pinterest

Here is one for men: www.slybaldguys.com... (I am a member here - it's fun because there are a world of products for baldness that help people to shine up the dome and keep it looking it's best)

Just do a Google Image search for Bald Women and you will see tons of beautiful bald women that are stronger and empowered because of going bald.
edit on 19-7-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

Thank You for your heart-warming answer for a woman whose hair where beautifully thick till age 19 and then...

I think I would not look good bald, because I've got high forhead and in general big head
But for people I'm cute and for myself too. I can describe myself as cute, not pretty or beautiful physically. Maybe sometimes. Sometimes I feel very beautiful inside and outside.

Anyway, you're probably right that women even without hair can feel fullfillment in their life and feel more powerful than women with hair

edit on 24-7-2014 by AnnieWolf19 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Here has what has helped me in no particular order:

1. Quit smoking cigarettes

2. Drink water with DE (diatomaceous earth). It has a real high silica content - essential for collagen building.

3. Washing hair with Dr. Bronner's castile soap. Any castile soap will work. My personal favorite is half peppermint oil and half tea tree oil soap. Seriously the peppermint Dr. Bronner's soap is THE MOST REFRESHING soap I've ever used. I also mix unscented borax (20 mule from grocery store ---> really cheap; don't buy from amazon b/c they had it for an outrageous price). I also mix a little bit of MSM with my soap also.

4. Ending a hot shower with a splash of cold water for the last 2 minutes (The James Bond Shower).

Possible additions pending additional research -

Add BC powder with aspirin and caffeine. Or do advil/aleve gel cap mixed in with my soap also. I used to get some pimple on my scalp. May be an NSAID will help it?

Add niacin powder to it. The one that gives a flush - using it topically will limit it just to the application site. It will help if the area gets more blood flow and hence providing more nutrients? Still have to research the science a bit more on these two ideas.

Thanks,

Fullset

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Here is my story, I had very thick hair as a child and till I was about 20. I started to notice a loss of hair, mainly when I brushed my hair or washed it. The brush would be full of hair, and the plug hole blocked more often with the amount that I was shedding. My hair got really thin, mostly at the front. About 18 months ago, I went to the doctor, due to extreme exhaustion. They thought that I might have thyroid issues, but it turned out that I had celiac disease, which is another AI disease associated with an increased risk of thyroid disease. Celiac disease interferes with absorbtion of nutrients by the gut. I started on a strict gluten free diet, the only treatment for CD, and after about 6-8 months, I started to notice that the hair was growing back. It is most noticible at the front, You can still see some light shining of my scalp, and feel the heat radiating from my scalp, but overall, it has much improved.

Have you been tested for celiac disease? It might be worth it, especally if you find that your thyroid levels are fairly steady, and you are still tired. How are your nails, they can also be affected by CD, when I went on the GF diet, they started to thicken up. I had a ridge across my nails, which grew up the nails. Now my nails are a lot stronger, and no longer split so easily. Hair and nails are made of the same material, and if you have a problem with both, it might not be related to hormones, but a nutrional problem, although some disease will affect both hair and nails.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: horseatemymoney

Thank You for sharing your story. I was thinking about celiac disease and I have to check if that is the real reason for loosing my hair when I will have money for private blood examination.

Maybe visiting trichologist's consulting room will be helpful too...

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: fullset

THank YOu too for your advice

edit on 25-10-2014 by AnnieWolf19 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Also be advised that SSRI antidepressants cause hair loss. It goes underreported, and consequently might not be listed on pages of side-effects. But, anybody who has taken them a long time doesn't have to wonder about it. They know.

If you have hair loss and are seeing your hair go down the drain, just try a little 'experiment'. There are newer antidepressants out there now that are effective, and do not cause hair loss.

Just sayin'. Indeed, most of the time it is hereditary, but not always. : )

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Thank U for your suggestion ladyinwaiting.

Luckily, for now I don't need antidepressants...
edit on 4-11-2014 by AnnieWolf19 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Today we have best medical treatment available that can restore hair permanently,that is called hair hair transplant surgery.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   

edit on 5/12/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

(post by sumitraj removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join