It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask any question you want about Physics

page: 238
<< 235  236  237    239  240  241 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Crazy question.

If you had a superconducting disc. A big one. Would all those electrons cooper pairs in it act in effect like one giant electron? From there would that huge electron create a aura or field around it where there would be a high potential for the opposite charge virtual particle wise? You know to keep things balanced. Like creating high quantum potential or bias in that effected space? If so, could that possibly lead to high virtual positron probability that if coaxed just right could actually condensate into actual. Maybe make a pair of them superconductors and overlap the field to generate even more bias or potential.

Also, if such were theoretically possible would putting the whole apparatus in a resonant chamber (or just make the super conductors resonant chambers themselves if possible) make a difference in easing the virtual particles to the actual. Or, the resonance frequency (granted you knew which ones they were) help to coax desired particles into forming.

Not sure I'm communicating what I'm seeing in my head. I could send you a PDF of what I'm talking about, but I suspect you've already seen it and had a good laugh. But, I want to know. Any truth to it....possibly?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

originally posted by: anonentity
So a photon enters a glass medium, collides with a silicon atom, the silicon atom because of the energy gain pushes out a silicon photon, this goes on until the energy , not the original photon exits the glass at the speed of light. Then then the slow down is caused by the time delay the original energy takes to transit the atoms, is this the permeability?
We are quite sure that's NOT what happens because the light coming out would have different properties, but that's a popular misconception. The photon doesn't collide with a single silicon atom to slow it down, it's interacting with the structure of the glass which physicists call a phonon.

phonon is a collective excitation in a periodic, elastic arrangement of atoms or molecules in condensed matter, like solids and some liquids.

That rather sounds like its interacting with a field of some kind.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Crazy question.
Any truth to it....possibly?

Alas. I could give you some hints, but you know what happens next.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Please don't tell me you're him. If so, I got's lots o questions! Like whats up with all the scarabs. If not. I better leave it alone on ATS regarding n keep trying to make sense of his theories on my own. But I do like hints...

So should I keep reading or run in regards?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Please don't tell me you're him.
who?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   

who?

The Man From Del Monte

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Hello Guys,

This is my first post in this 238 pages long thread. Sorry if I didn't mind re-reading everything that was already written.
I come here with a ATS-compliant question : how about bending space-time with big coils and massive alternative currents ? Tesla-style ... in order to generate the still elusive 'gravitional waves'. The question is not mine, actually its from an article published by a Belgian scientist :

How Current Loops and Solenoids Curve Space-time
Andre Fuzfa

Namur Center for Complex systems (naXys),
University of Namur, Belgium
(Dated: December 15, 2015)

The curved space-time around current loops and solenoids carrying arbitrarily large steady electric currents is obtained from the numerical resolution of the coupled Einstein-Maxwell equations in cylindrical symmetry. The artificial gravitational field associated to the generation of a magnetic field produces gravitational redshift of photons and deviation of light. Null geodesics in the curved space-time of current loops and solenoids are also presented. We finally propose an experimental setup, achievable with current technology of superconducting coils, that produces a phase shift of light of the same order of magnitude than astrophysical signals in ground-based gravitational wave observatories.

Source : How Current Loops and Solenoids Curve Space-time

Any thoughts ?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: geezlouise

lol I like you.

But honestly, particles can just pop into existence? Like... bam, something from nothing?
Or is the nothing possibly the electronic and magnetic fields?

Sure they can. You just need enough energy and, I'm pretty sure although this isn't something I diddle with often, a charge or charge gradient.

This is where the long form of E=MC2 comes in. You can swap energy for matter (and momentum, in the long form) as long as you got equal or more E to match the M you want to concoct.

In the case of a photon, you don't have a lot of extra boundary conditions to satisfy, so it's pretty likely you'll get photons. But, consider the annihilation of matter and antimatter. You get a wad of photons, and possibly other particle production as well just due to the energy density. And the matter and antimatter go bye bye.

But you can make more than photons that way. If you have enough energy, you can create an electron and a positron simultaneously, or a proton and an antiproton, etc.

This isn't something pie-in-the-sky, it happens all the time, if you like fiddling around with cloud chambers at home (and who doesn't) you can do it yourself.

0 = 0

Nothing = Nothing

0 = Nothing

0 + 0 = 0

Nothing + Nothing = Nothing

Ad infinitum

Absolutely no exceptions.

You are incorrect, try again.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

who?

m.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ImaFungi

Foo = foo
Bar = bar
Foo + bar = Foobar

Ad infinitum.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Isnt it fubar?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

I believe so.

SNAFU, TARFU, FUBAR
FIDO
BOHICA
ESBAM

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

So Foo and Bar in hacker context is basically the same thing as Doohicky or thingy?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Foo = foo
Bar = bar
Foo + bar = Foobar

Ad infinitum.

Line by line, word by word, tell me what is wrong with what I wrote. If you do not or cannot, what you wrote is wrong. Start with 1 thing. I bet you cant, so I bet you wont.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi

0 = 0

Nothing = Nothing

0 = Nothing

0 + 0 = 0

Ad infinitum

Behold.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Line by line, word by word, tell me what is wrong with what I wrote. If you do not or cannot, what you wrote is wrong. Start with 1 thing. I bet you cant, so I bet you wont.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

0 = 0

Nothing = Nothing...

Ad infinitum

And non sequitur and irrelevance were heard throughout the land.

This is old, well established, very difficult to refute science. One day, maybe you'll stop with the "I can prove everything with English grammar and what I can visualize!" thing and actually learn something. But I'm not holding my breath.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

edit on 8-1-2016 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

0 = 0

Nothing = Nothing

0 = Nothing

0 + 0 = 0

Ad infinitum

Behold.

Behold, the Earth orbits the sun because absolutely nothing forces the Earth to orbit the sun; at least when I take a picture of the sun and earth there is all black in between.

top topics

<< 235  236  237    239  240  241 >>

join