It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Do you look at obese people with a critical eye?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 02:49 PM

originally posted by: FyreByrd
a reply to: RifRAAF

Generally in my experience - it's wiser to wait until asked. Unsolisited advice is unwanted.

Unsolicited advice is often unwanted yes, but in my experience people dont ask until its too late. Also people dont ask because they dont care, and they only start caring when its too late.

Had the OP opened with "I've got a problem and wonder what you do" or "how do I help a friend" or in any way asked for experience, strength and hope (as 12 step programs put it) it would have been appropriate.

I dont do 12 setps. Its a real problem with real people. An "Ikea" solution does not work, if you have read what has been posted, we all agree on that

The OP was not asking for advice or seeking solutions, the OP was seeking validation for a rank prejudice. I've done it and perhaps you as well. A small degree of maturity (I know it's considered a bad word) has allowed me to 1) see the behavior in myself and 2) to stop it before I inflect it on others.

Ummm you dont know me, dont assume what I know or what you know that you think I might know.

I truly believe everyone at ATS, at least those who post, is here for selfish reasons and is seeking attention. I find it a wonderful venue for ferreting out character defects and working on their correction. To quote 12 step literature again "Progress not Perfection".

Have a great day.

Thank you I will, I may do some yoga and meditate positive energy to you.

Love and Light.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:03 PM

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: operation mindcrime

No the OP is about judgment period.

So my mother has arthritis that limits her activity level. What's she supposed to do about her weight; diet alone isn't doing it.

But the OP will judge her just the same.

I guess the OP will judge her as I probably would too. I guess the point here is the judging...

We shouldn't judge because it's morally wrong...blabla. Yet we do it. You, me, everybody and afterall what is judging but "To form an opinion or estimation of after careful consideration."

It's not my fault that the statistics show an enormous increase in overweight and obese people not because of underactive thyroids, Cushing's syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome (and I guess arthritis as you say) but mainly because of an inactive lifestyle. Is it then so weird for me to conclude, that when I see a morbidly obese person, we (as a society) have a serious problem. My "carefull consideration" is based on facts such as:

- Worldwide obesity has nearly doubled since 1980.
- In 2008, more than 1.4 billion adults, 20 and older, were overweight.
(Of these over 200 million men and nearly 300 million women were obese.)
- 35% of adults aged 20 and over were overweight in 2008, and 11% were obese.
- 65% of the world’s population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.
- More than 40 million children under the age of five were overweight in 2011.
- Obesity is preventable.

Every time I see an overly obese person "walking" (sometimes it's whole families) through the mall eating junk food I can't help but "judge" that those people aren't really concerned about the fact that energy balance means that your energy IN equals your energy OUT.

I guess I'm a judgemental person.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:08 PM

originally posted by: RifRAAF
Yeah I do, and not overweight people just the morbidly obese, those that have gone above and beyond what their frame should support.

I know I have to watch what I eat due to allergies and cholesterol, I know what I can and cant eat. If I ignored that, and ate everything I like I would be in bad shape. If I continued that for a long period I would end up obese.

Its not hard to limit what you consume. Its not hard to make dietary rules for health. Its not hard to cook.

Rules I follow (and occasionally break some)

No Soda

No preservatives

No foods with added sucrose

Wholemeal bread only

100g of meat per meal (when Im not being veg, see below)

2 vegetarian meals per week (currently doing 3)

No processed meats

No chocolate

Drink 2L of water per day

5 different vegetables per meal

And more importantly no vodka before 10am

They are not the best rules, but they work for me. Its not rocket science. I dont calorie count, Im not a fitness freak, I just want to be healthy.

G,day mate
dump the bread and have two glasses of coopes pale ale. prob equal to half a loaf, smells like yeast pure yeast yuk
used to know a few blokes i called Rifraaf. so lets see if i can hit a six or go LBW.
I thought you may have been watching close to see if the side door on the herc would be ok or if you might need to drop the ramp

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:14 AM

originally posted by: droid56
Is it an ignorant post when there is a huge problem in first world countries of morbidly obese people who suffer from diseases that will shorten their lives and provide a burden on our medical system?

If you look at the history of humans, this is is quite unique. Morbidly obese humans were never present before this modern time. It is a BIG problem, and if you say it isn't you are just wrong. It is a strong symptom of a sick society.

Don't be so pessimistic. They save gov lots of money in retirement money and healtcare for older people (they would not live long enough to suffer from very expensive in long run Alzheimer)

Presumably like cigarettes and alcohol are heavily taxed, also big part of unhealthy food stuff should be treated accordingly.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 04:51 AM

originally posted by: droid56

If you look at the history of humans, this is is quite unique. Morbidly obese humans were never present before this modern time. It is a BIG problem, and if you say it isn't you are just wrong. It is a strong symptom of a sick society.

Not quite true, there is plenty of people in history that were morbidly obese. There is a culture in Africa that considers obesity beautiful. Many people royals and those of the upper class in history are depicted as being obese. As my husband so kindly pointed out the ancient Greeks had a word for it, although I am not even going to try and quote what he just said because I will botch it. He also pointed out a Swedish king, Queen Victoria (still before the modern consumption of sugar) and the Roman senate.

No it wasn't common like it is today, and especially not amongst the common people and poor, but it did exist.
edit on 13-7-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:00 PM
I suppose if I'm being real honest I do get turned off. I try not to judge. However I used to be too skinny and fat girls were really mean to me. For no reason. I did nothing to them. I hate you BITCH! you look so gross. Eat some food. Do I say your fat looks gross or you should not eat so much? No. They like to shove food in front of you EAT! I don't snatch away there food they want to eat. I'm just not hungry. Leave me alone.

I'm turned off by big fat double chins. I can't even look at them while they talk. Big fat backs. I do not like to be seated next to one on an airplane. I don't like them standing in front of me where I can't see what lies ahead. View blockers.

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:00 PM

edit on 13-7-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2014 @ 10:10 PM

originally posted by: DodgyDawg
a reply to: droid56

Did you know that when you are obese your hormones which tell you to stop eating become less common and you can become depressed about your size which terribly leads to further eating.

I am uncertain why the hormone which stops people from feeling hungry hasn't been developed as an effective weight loss drug.

I disagree there should be diet drugs.

Hormones? I don't think so.
Iff you eat lots of food, you will always want lots of food because you're used to that. If you eat like a little bird like me you just don't feel that hungry. It's not rocket science.

I get depressed and eat less.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 12:41 AM
My heart goes out to the morbidly obese, but we humans as a species have a big problem. Anybody who rejects this is not seeing reality.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>