It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when the power goes down?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: invisiblemanda
Thanks for the responses everyone!

I am actually looking for a new sewing machine, mine doesn't work properly and even if I were to get it fixed, it's too small to handle some of the things I want to do with it.

I was in Girl Scouts when I was little, but it wasn't the same. We didn't really learn actual survival skills. Instead, we made teddy bears and talked about hair care. It was a huge disappointment and I didn't stay around very long. But my brother was in Boy Scouts, I'll see if he has any books still.

They are worth a read. My Scout Master was in the Forestry. He had buddies of his teach the Troop as much survival stuff as possible. Found out he was a "prepper" of sorts (Not to the extreme as some people think when they hear the terms but he lived in a place that lost power for weeks at a time type guy,) but he wanted the children of the Troop to be prepared.

As I said it's meant for kids so you might roll your eyes at some things but it's a wealth of starting knowledge. Tweak it to suit what you need to learn for the obstacles at hand. Good luck in your preparations OP.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: invisiblemanda

What happens when the power goes down?

Magic?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I would miss the internet for a minute but then get to the business of collecting rainwater and condensate with a tarp and 5 gallon water bladders which I have, and fishing and clamming to get food to eat.

I wouldn't miss this great big fake fabricated reality for more than how long it takes to withdraw from nicotine, I have piles of tobacco by the way, and will probably quit smoking and use it for barter to get me something more important....

Oh yeah, I forgot I have about 100 pounds each of rice and beans, 16 chickens, 9 pigs and 1 sow pregnant...

No worries, I have the tools of last resort too.

I worry about most of the rest of those people out there though, very few think farther ahead than their hood ornament on their car....

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

So here's my question for everyone: If I wanted to be ready for a disaster that caused a power outage for an extended amount of time, what would I need to do? What kind of things would I need to consider? What do you think would happen?

What would you need to do?

1. Learn how to grow, harvest, and store (can) grown food (fruits and veggies)
2. Learn how to hunt, skin, prepare, and store animals (meat)
3. Get used to the idea that the electronics are gone.
4. Basically, learn how they lived 150 years ago, because that is where we'd be.

What would happen?

First week, most will assume the government is coming to help. (the smart ones will head to rural areas)

Second week, mass riots, looting in population centers (cops are too busy protecting their own to be out).

Next couple of months, folks will organize into gangs to better take resources in population centers. Some will also go out to outlaying areas to find more. A lot of people will die just from lack of medical attention, and starvation. Still others from diseases and conditions that are normally not fatal.

After about 6 months, no more fuel means folks are mostly stuck where they are.
During all of this, folks in rural areas will pretty much live normally, with a few inconveniences, and an occasional far ranging marauder or band.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Wait, if the power goes out, how do I use this electronic food stamp card???
I'M DOOOOOOMED!

(Disclaimer: I don't really use food stamps).

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: invisiblemanda
I would look at a soar panel to help with electrical needs, be it light, refrigeration, recharging batteries on whatever gadgets you have.
Having everything on a computer is great but if your computer craps out...then what? It might seem old fashion to you, but print important things out, make a 3 ring binder of valuable information that you think you will need.
You can even laminate it then to protect it, or not and use it for fire starting material, after you master whatever you had on it.
Get a Wood stove, coal stove...whatever stove you can use with plenty of coal or wood you need to power it, in abundance around you...so you do not need to pay for it, it is supplied my mother nature.
Take a good hard look at what you need to know how to do, and grab a book, read about it, and do it!!!
Get off your butt and go outside and practice what you are learning to do. Test everything you learn in all types of weather in every type of climate of the year. Meaning rain or shine, wet or dry...hot or cold, get out and apply what your are wanting to learn, and some things work better than others in different weather/times of the year.
If you backpack out, carry everything with you. note what you used and didn't use ..what you needed or did not need...you will get ideas and what better time to try them out, than while your actually out doing it.
Your mind is your best and most powerful tool, use it, keep it sharp and in good working order....never let it be just a hat rack.

my .02 cents for you

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
A water purification system such as a Sweetwater and some containers, some tarps to keep you out of the rain and out of the sun, minimum cold weather gear and minimum sleeping gear too because staying dry is most important whether it be to avoid chafing in the heat or freezing in the cool or cold, and that means not being loaded down and breaking a huge sweat with a bunch of unnecessary junk strapped to your ass.

Never mind electricity or anything that needs it to operate, a pencil and pad replaces a computer nicely if one simply learns to be patient and do the work again.

Don't worry about moving fast, it makes too much noise unless you have a good bicycle and a trailer.

Don't forget spare parts....

I do silly things like this for fun just to feel alive all the time, I don't know how so many live the way they do, just sitting in a car seat and walking only to get into work or back in the house to sit in front of the TV, never doing anything really physically demanding for most of their lives.

Growing up is what kills you....Practice making time for those things you always tell yourself you don't have time to do before you no longer can.

reply to: saltdog

edit on 24-8-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: whatever

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join