It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when the power goes down?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
A coleman camp stove for cooking works well, or bbq grill with side burner outside. A coleman catalytic heater can heat a room. You may need three cans of coleman fuel to go with that. Rummage sales are a good place to get these cheap or maybe from an estate sale or older relative who used to go camping.

A Kerosine lamp is cheap and easy, Kerosine is about eight bucks a gallon now though. One gallon lasts a long time though. Candles work well too, having six or so of them scattered around the house with matches or a lighter nearby is wise.

Food to last a couple of weeks minimum is a good start, and two to three gallons of water minimum is essential to security. We have a fifty five gallon drum outside in the summer full of water and water barrels available to put under the gutters. Winter snow can be melted for flushing water and for doing dishes. We keep about ten gallons of drinking water rotating all the time, I don't like the inconvenience of hauling water for coffee and cooking.

No matter how prepared you are, something can still happen to mess up all your plans. The generators don't start, or the house blows down or an earthquake hits and crumbles it. Now, I prepare for the most probable catastrophes, I am not prepared for a tornado, hurricane, or earthquake because they are extremely rare here. I am prepared for snow and more snow and power outages. I am prepared for a food scarcity caused by outside of the area disasters.

If I was really rich, I could have built a bomb shelter hurricane/tornado proof home that could withstand a direct hit by a football size asteroid or an earthquake right by the house...but I am not rich...other than my name.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Get candles .. take up reading - good old fashioned books not e-books .. at night stargazing is good entertainment . . actual conversations with human beings .. for long distance communication write actual letters on paper .. play boardgames or cards .. go to the beach..
Theres alot one can do that doesnt require electric ..

Very few out here have electric the ones that do its either generator or in my case solar ..
People managed fine for centuries before electricity came along.

But your right people there going to be in world of hurt without electric and all the modern "conveniences" that go with it ..

No way would I want to be around if they lost electric over there theyd get more stupid then normal and I have a very low stupidity tolerance ..

Will sit back in my hammock with a good cigar and a drink and relax over here ..

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Learn to live without it, learn to use it as a convenience, not a way of life.

You can get all the solar panels & generators you want but sooner or later they will go down also in a long term scenario. Learn to get by without it. I doubt that's possible for the younger generation.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
For cooking, find a metal coffee can, flip it upside down, poke some nickle sized holes around the bottom (now the top) rim for ventilation. Cut a door in the bottom side to put things to burn in, and you got yourself a hobo stove.
It works AWESOME.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Read these two books:

Lights Out - Hallfast
One Second After - Forstchen

...just do a search online for a free .pdf dowload
edit on 11-7-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Hey there, great thread! I'm glad to see you're thinking about these things, that puts you way ahead of many others. I'm from PA too, but a small town (1 square mile) in SE PA. Anyway, I'm an outdoor girl. I've been this way all of my life. I hunt, fish, backpack, camp, kayak, etc. I've kayaked in the bay of fundy and homer alaska, and everywhere in between. I've done a bunch of the AT (appalachian trail) and spend a week every year in the northwoods of Maine.

There are a few reasons I'm telling you all of this stuff about me.

First of all I'm a female, like you, and I'm telling you, you can do this! I feel bad for people that don't know anything but electronics. That's a sad, and even evil life. The "evil" part comes from the powers to be wanting you to be dependent on them. There's dangers too, like radiation and ELF's coming from all of those devices.

Even though I've always been an outdoor girl, I was not into "survival". I was afraid of what would happen should there be some kind of "event". I started reading up on it, learning about bug out bags, shelter in place, etc. At first (many years ago) my bug out bag was full of all kinds of crap. Then, I got educated. And you can too!

Go to youtube and look up "ray mears". Watch some of his survival vids. Soon, you'll learn how to do a ton of stuff outdoors, on your own. Then, go out and PRACTICE! Get away from the TV, cell phone, etc. Learn how to be self sufficient. Learn how to live...and how to survivewww.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: invisiblemanda
I'm starting to take up sewing, and that always seemed like a good hobby that doesn't involve electricity, but even my sewing machine runs on electricity. Guess I should practice sewing by hand.

For anyone wondering, I live in the US in one of the small towns south of Pittsburgh, PA. It's kind of a rural area.

These are all good points, seems like there's a lot to think about/consider.

South of Pittsburgh might be fine for a while. Once people start needing to get out of the city you should be prepared for anything. There are sewing machines that are manual and not electric, although they might be hard to find.

1. Know where your nearest freshwater sources are - lake, pond, river, stream.
2. Have a water filtration system and something to put clean water in.
3. If you live seriously rural and have a well/septic look at what it might take to put your well pump on solar power.
4. Buy extra food that you will eat and rotate your supply. You don't have to go nuts. Start small - each trip to the grocery by 2 or 3 of something instead of one, especially canned goods. Keep dried beans and rice on hand as well.

The longest power outage I've had is about 1.5 weeks, but I live in hurricane alley. Even at 1.5 weeks it's not fun. People start to grow crotchety and angry. There's a huge difference when people think the power is coming back on and when they realize it's out/gone for good.

Everyone posting has great suggestions. You need to pick a few things and start doing. Research is key, but don't rest with knowledge - put things you learn into action.

If you have like minded friends or relatives talk to them about this stuff too. Make sure you build a community.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneR
It would be a critical situation, but as humans, who've survived much, much longer without electricity than with it, I believe our ingenuity and will to survive would kick in big time. Yes, many would perish, especially in densely populated areas without access to fresh water and fertile soil, so that "survival of the fittest" would once again take over.

I do not mean to sound cruel, but isn't that what nature intended? For us to live off the land, not off high tech. There are so many of us, and we've become an unhealthy lot, as we destroy our lands, air & seas with everything from plastics, to deforestation, to oil slicks, smog, chemical run-off... not to mention all the unnatural currents floating around feeding our high-tech lifestyles. I don't want people to suffer and die because of no electricity, but the OP is spot-on about how we've become so dependent on it. Over the course of a few centuries, we've forsaken crucial knowledge of how to survive as humans on Earth. Think about that for a beat. We are so disconnected from living in the real world! We may as well be brains in a jar.

Ok, as if THAT wasn't depressing enough for ya, with no electricity to run the cooling systems at the gazillion nuke plants around the world, how long until we face meltdown after meltdown, followed by untold numbers of spent fuel rods reheating, when all efforts to keep the cooling pools from boiling begin to fail?

In short, I believe we're smart enough to figure out how to survive in nature... but are we smart enough to deal with the ticking time bombs all over the world before they kill us all?
edit on 7/11/2014 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: invisiblemanda

Sitting in the dark of a night would just add to the misery so think solar lighting would be my first aim. If you are not into electronics just get an outdoor solar garden lights (with biggest solar panel you can find) and just bring indoors of a night. If you are into electronics or know someone that is, buy a cheap 20+ watt solar panel, 12v battery and low wattage 12v globes from ebay for less than $100. I'd also get a cheap multi-band radio so you can find out whats happening out in the world (also source of entertainment if things arn't too bad). The Kaito KA500 radio has crank generator and solar panel for recharging its internal battery.

I have an old foot powered singer sewing machine. Many people dump them so you should ask around.

Look at any money spent as insurance against a disaster which is why people insure homes etc.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: invisiblemanda
I'm starting to take up sewing, and that always seemed like a good hobby that doesn't involve electricity, but even my sewing machine runs on electricity. Guess I should practice sewing by hand.

For anyone wondering, I live in the US in one of the small towns south of Pittsburgh, PA. It's kind of a rural area.

These are all good points, seems like there's a lot to think about/consider.

Check out yard sales and antique shops for treadle machines they sew just as well as an electric,by the way last time I saw they were still making treadle machines in latin american countries.I saw several brand new ones in a shop in Mexico once.Stock up on all the supplies for sewing,everybody will still need clothes even if made out of canvas.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
And OP, don't feel too bad, I have a child with a life threatening disease, and his medication needs to be refrigerated! Sometimes, this keeps me up at night and without it he will die. Things could be worse.
edit on 2808Friday11311108711 by Wildthing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildthing

You can get 12v refrigeration designed for camping (danfross compressors are best) and power it with a 200 watt solar panel with suitable batteries. If I had the money I'd start replacing home appliances with solar equivalents one step at a time.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

originally posted by: Expat888
a reply to: Darkblade71
Heh.. I call dibs on your paintings to start a gallery with .. will send ya paints via carrier pigeon so you can keep painting

You got any dioxazine violet? I'll shoot a jar of moonshine back your way.
s1295.photobucket.com...

Not got any on hand .. with bit of scrounging around can acquire .. be amazed at what all one can find ..

Good paintings on your link page you have talent ..

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Thanks! I have one that plugs into a car cigarette lighter, but I know that won't work if we have an emp. I have solar for my phone, laptop, etc., I'll check into the fridge!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildthing
And OP, don't feel too bad, I have a child with a life threatening disease, and his medication needs to be refrigerated! Sometimes, this keeps me up at night and without it he will die. Things could be worse.

Something like this might be doable,small propane refrigerators that run around 3 to 400 dollars.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
Ahh.. yep after heat stroke have to be careful as it makes you more prone to getting hit again ..
Often sleep out on hammock here .. actually find that on the times can sleep I sleep better outdoors than indoors .. never could stand getting stuck indoors..
Yep mountains and heavy jungle here .. it cools down a bit at night during rain season it can get cold enough to where I grab a blanket .. mostly its hot and humid

Hehe you could always hire a couple cute thai girls to stand there with fans to keep you cool ..

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Not sure if you can get them over there .. but over here mitsubishi electric has a small solar power unit that will run household appliances ..

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   

If its a Waeco fridge it should be ok but some car fridges use a semiconductor for cooling which aren't power efficient. A 200 watt solar panel costs $230 today (on ebay) so with a few car batteries should be right depending sunlight your area. I don't have a lot of knowledge about EMP's but guessing an old disused metal chest fridge earthed to ground might make a good faraday cage.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I lived alone in the forest for about 2 years with no modern luxuries. Learn to live primitive and ESPECIALLY food preservation methods, they come in super handy (i love pemmican) and if its SHTF no power for who knows how long, avoid people at all costs for the first couple of months, its going to get crazy

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

Thanks again...one question, I saw something regarding batteries that said to use marine batteries instead of car batteries because it releases the power more steadily and less quickly. Any thoughts on that?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888
Thanks! I'll do search for it...great info!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join