It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when the power goes down?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
If something like this has already been posted somewhere, I apologize. I didn't see a thread like this.

I'm 24 years old and probably one of the youngest people on this site. My generation grew up pretty much dependent on electronics. We watch TV for our entertainment, we use the internet for research, we use our cell phones to communicate with people, we use fridges and microwaves to store and heat up food, etc. I'm pretty much always using some sort of electronic device.

So what happens when the power goes out and I don't have that convenience anymore?

Whether it be from an attack or false flag or just bad weather, should the power go out for an extended amount of time, I wouldn't know what to do or expect.

So here's my question for everyone: If I wanted to be ready for a disaster that caused a power outage for an extended amount of time, what would I need to do? What kind of things would I need to consider? What do you think would happen?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: invisiblemanda
Get a solar panel, it wil be able to charge your phones, small batteries, and even a small laptop etc.

If you live out in the sticks you should be able to get by ok, but if your in a town life will get difficult.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Get candles .. take up reading - good old fashioned books not e-books .. at night stargazing is good entertainment . . actual conversations with human beings .. for long distance communication write actual letters on paper .. play boardgames or cards .. go to the beach..
Theres alot one can do that doesnt require electric ..

Very few out here have electric the ones that do its either generator or in my case solar ..
People managed fine for centuries before electricity came along.

But your right people there going to be in world of hurt without electric and all the modern "conveniences" that go with it ..

No way would I want to be around if they lost electric over there theyd get more stupid then normal and I have a very low stupidity tolerance ..

Will sit back in my hammock with a good cigar and a drink and relax over here ..
edit on 11/7/14 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
hi invisiblemanda

good question... no power = NO FRIDGE...

no electric lights...or air-cond...

no hot water...and depending on situation maybe NO WATER (water has to be pumped ....by electricity)...
so no water also = no toilet flushing...

NO SHOPS OPEN (no eftpos or till) = NO FOOD...

dont worry about charging the phone,...U wont need it... word/news travels fast even if only over back fences...
anyway...phone lines run on electricity right...like the internet...

a solar panel is only good with sun and expensive batteries...(get them if U can)

The MAIN thing U should worry about are your neighbours...
if U get along...great...if not...its another problem...

what do U need to actually survive...???

WATER...
AIR
FOOD
SHELTER
LOVE...

edit on 11/7/2014 by shaneR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Dear I. Manda, Your point is so far beyond relevant that I shudder to think about it. We are addicted to our power fix. Let's admit it. We are all power junkies. We all need to be aware and to scream bloody murder when we are dissed.
I really can't put it a better way.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
You my friend are screwed!
Hey, that's ok. We all gotta go sometime. Just try and do it well, and remember, take at least one of the B#$%!*D's with you. We're angry monkeys. It's how we roll! Welcome to the "Actual" dawn of the planet of the apes. I'd really HATE TO BE AN actual ape. They taste just like chicken !

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Depends on where you live. An EMP or natural country wide power outage there is a possibility that in some locals 90% will perish..

USA...Let us say it is the middle of summer and you live someplace where the average daily temperature is over 105 F. There is no water, no air conditioning.... how many people both young and old will survive for over a week ? Meds and people who need them.... where are they going to get them to survive ? Again middle of the winter outside air temp is below freezing and you live in a city without a fireplace or access to heat.. How long will some of the very people you know going to make it ?

If transportation is shut down then the 90% figure might not be all that outlandish. Even the hard core prepped may find it is seriously challenging depending on their local environment.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I decided that if the power ever goes out and does not come back on,
I shall paint and paint and paint pictures until it does,
or I run out of things to use as colors.
I'll be grinding up anything and everything with color in it
and smearing it everywhere, making the world a canvas.....

You all better hope the power stays on!

lol

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
was go easy on my answer .. didnt want to scare the op too badly with what the reality would be ..

Dont use aircon out here even though average temp 30-32c .. get sick everytime go into a place that has aircon as not used to it ..

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71
Heh.. I call dibs on your paintings to start a gallery with .. will send ya paints via carrier pigeon so you can keep painting

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Just my spit balled opinion this and a couple bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Admitting you don't know is the first step to finding out the information you need.

1: Shelter, how is it in the winter can you keep it warm without electricity, in the summer can you keep cool enough to be safe. If your not sure, read now while you have power to do research. There is a ton of information out there read and ask question like you did here, also how secure is it, is it a good neighbor hood are you friends with your neighbors, can you count on their help if you need it.

2/3: Water, as most know you die fast without water... figure out the best way to get some stock up on water (for instance I keep 4 cases of water on hand at all times, as I finish one I bring in a new one and add it to the bottom of the pile, I also have basically a giant water bladder that I can use to fill in the bathtub.) Security, How will you protect yourself and any loved ones... guns, knives, bats... do you have any training in any of those things if not get some now.

4:Food, how are you going to eat when the fridge fails after the power is gone, what sort of canned goods do you have, do you have any dried foods .. Mountain house, or WISE foods for examples, things that are easy to prepare. What will you prepare it on, personally I have a couple of different cook stoves, the one in my bug out bag works off of fuel tablets, denatured alcohol or in a pinch twigs.

5: Once the first 4 are taken care of you can now start working on comfort items, sleeping bags, mosquito repellant etc.

this is kind of the blueprint I used, don't worry about a SHTF episode that could change the world until your ready to deal with smaller more localized things. As an example: I built my bug out bag because of tornadoes, I have since expanded things to where I can harden my home and bug in for up to 4 months.. if the situation gets out of control I have a bug out point where I can meet up with friends to plan my next step.. if things are slowly getting better hang out till its safe to return home, or if things get worse head to the Ozarks to join up with the wife's family in BFE.

Best piece of advice I can give that hopefully is not rambling to much... there is a ton of information out there, some good, some bad, some pulled straight out of peoples back sides. You have to figure out what will work best for you.

There are people out there that have written books on surviving some things most never dream of, Economic collapse, bugging out of your home country, survival in the wilderness.. do research and figure out what ones are real and read up on them to help you formulate your ideas.
edit on 11-7-2014 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm starting to take up sewing, and that always seemed like a good hobby that doesn't involve electricity, but even my sewing machine runs on electricity. Guess I should practice sewing by hand.

For anyone wondering, I live in the US in one of the small towns south of Pittsburgh, PA. It's kind of a rural area.

These are all good points, seems like there's a lot to think about/consider.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I suggest you start buying survival books and gear. Your gonna need food, water, tools, guns and ammo, medical supplies etc. Also dont be afraid to go out and get experience.Go hiking, camping or fishing etc. Learn to cook on an open fire or dutch oven Learn safe gun handling and marksmanship, hunting is a great skill too. Don't think you have to go nuts like the jackasses you see on TV just learn to be an outdoorsman and in time the rest comes naturally.
edit on 11-7-2014 by Fargoth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Long term power loss is a disaster and A LOT of people will die. People will steal anything they can from whoever they can and will kill you over a bottle of water if they think they can take it from you. I am talking about a real disaster with power loss for a long time, not a couple of days without water/power and no XBox or cell phone. Water, Food, Shelter and a way to protect yourself and others in your group of is a must. There is a lot of information available on how to prepare for a disaster and what supplies are recommended to have on hand. READ what is available and prepare the best way you can with the funds you can spare. My wife likes to pretend the world is full of unicorns, gum drops and fuzzy teddy bears. I however have spent much of my younger years being sent to disasters around the globe for security purposes and protection of key sites of importance to the people who paid me. I have seen a lot of crazy $hit and have had to defend myself and my clients interests. I am telling you flat out, people will kill each other if the power is out for a long time. I have seen it first hand. I have a place to go, a small group of family and close friends I can count on and a plan. Anyone else is a potential "problem" in a real long term situation like you describe. Pertending it won't happen is not an option, those people who think that way will die, it is that simple. Carry on.....

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Best advice that i can give you is to hit the outdoors regularly for a few days at a time and skill up.

Learn to gather wood and light fires by as many means as possible, and then have the resources to do this stored at your home.

Get used to candle-light and using lanterns etc.

Learn to cook from scratch and using open fires and stoves. Learn about foods that you can hunt and forage in your locale and then get used to doing it.

Get some useful and absorbing hobbies. Skilling up in Camping/Bushcraft/Survival skills is great fun and does not need to be a paranoid obsession.

Read, cook, carve, shoot, hike, repair, make, trade, co-operate. Practice and learn.

Have good clothes, hand tools and plenty of tinned and dried food in the house. Consider local safe water sources.

It aint really prepping; just responsible life management.. best of luck to ya!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Best thing to do is prepare while you still have your electricity and internet connection.
Read up on how the pioneers got by, then learn those skills by practicing them.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
a reply to: Darkblade71
Heh.. I call dibs on your paintings to start a gallery with .. will send ya paints via carrier pigeon so you can keep painting

You got any dioxazine violet? I'll shoot a jar of moonshine back your way.
s1295.photobucket.com...

edit on 11-7-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Cody Lundin has a couple good books that you might want. Sanitation is another big one to think about. I bought several books on getting back to basics. I also have a 55 gallon drum full of water just in case. A lot to research really. Get to know your neighbors and hopefully build a decent relationship. I figure safety in numbers. Outsiders might come in your neighborhood and want what you have so plan for that. Nutnfancy on youtube has some great vids to check out. Do you have friends whom might be on the same page? So far, lots of great tips from everyone else.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Same same here however if the electricity goes out for over a few hours at night I load up and go to a hotel that has aircon.. call me a sissy. Sleeping on the floor is usually cooler when the electricity goes out but even then at those times my body says, "get up find me air" (and I am not fat)....! In my younger days all I needed was a mosquito net and a fan... Now maybe because of three heat strokes I just go to the flow of air if it gets bad..

You are in the mountains, no? Is it much cooler at night there? Around here you have to crack over 8000 msl before the nights start being comfortable cooler...

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

The answer lies in what you consider an extended period of time. The length will determine how to prepare. If it is a SHTF scenario and never expect the power to come back on then that is much more complicated. But if by extended you think it would be 2 to 3 weeks without power then a generator would suffice. I live in an area where hurricanes are the norm and it has been out for up to two weeks. We have food, water, medicines, etc. and a generator ready with a supply of fuel to last 3 weeks. It's only 3000 watts but it is capable of keeping us from freezing, or becoming overheated, while maintaining refrigeration, a few lights, a tv. etc. not a lot but fuel consumption and quiet was taken into consideration in planning. We have BBQ with side burners for cooking and extra propane bottles to go for months.

Just basics, but comfortably survivable for a couple of old folks.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join