It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME Op-Ed Author Wants White Gay Men To Stop Stealing Black Female Culture

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Here's the opening paragraph of Sierra Mannie's July 9th op-ed in TIME:

You are not a black woman, and you do not get to claim either blackness or womanhood. There is a clear line between appreciation and appropriation

and here is her BS argument:

Black people can’t have anything. Any of these things include, but aren’t limited to: a general sense of physical safety, comfort with law enforcement, adequate funding and appreciation for black spaces like schools and neighborhoods, appropriate venues for our voices to be heard about criticism of issues without our race going on trial because of it, and solid voting rights (cc: Chris McDaniel).

And then, when you thought this pillaging couldn’t get any worse, extracurricular black activities get snatched up, too: our music, our dances, our slang, our clothing, our hairstyles. All of these things are rounded up, whitewashed and repackaged for your consumption. But here’s the shade — the non-black people who get to enjoy all of the fun things about blackness will never have to experience the ugliness of the black experience, systemic racism and the dangers of simply living while black. Though I suppose there’s some thrill in this “rolling with the homies” philosophy some adopt, white people are not racially oppressed in the United States of America.

While I agree that white people are not racially oppressed in the US, that's about the extent of our agreement and simply put, this woman is definitely in the category "Part of the Problem." In modern society, it's one thing to embrace and celebrate diversity in culture but a wholly other thing to declare that aspects of popular culture are off limits to other members of society. I'm confounded by the unenlightened nature of this woman's thinking. Her opinions don't differ significantly from those of the white supporters of segregation who invented the concept of seperate but equal. Like the backward thinking of those bigoted segregationist, her view runs counter to progress.

If I were to speak to Ms. Mannie, I would say something along the lines of:

Get with the f#ing program you sanctimonious racist.

edit on 2014-7-11 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Everyone is special!!!!!

This is what happens when the political correctness madness turn into a cancer that turns into pure hatred towards everyone whom doesn't believe as they do!

As I have said all along, "Freedom is not a one way street!".

Gotta love it when political correctness and the progressive movement of "It's all about me" comes back to bite ya in the ass!

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
or even this

People are weird and im pretty sure 90% of normal folk, black white gay straight or whatever dont give into it.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Agreed. She sounds just like the 50's southerners who supported Jim Crow laws and segregation.

"Black youth culture" in America was invented by a bunch of old rich white guys at MTV headquarters. Just like all youth culture is invented.

I don't see anybody in Africa "appropriating" these cultural aspects. That's because they are American cultural aspects. You can't live in America and claim ethnic exclusivity on American culture.
edit on 11-7-2014 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Everyone is special!!!!!

This is what happens when the political correctness madness turn into a cancer that turns into pure hatred towards everyone whom doesn't believe as they do!

Gotta love it when political correctness and the progressive movement of "It's all about me" comes back to bite ya in the ass!

What this woman is saying in no way resembles actual progressive thinking and I'd say it's the opposite of "politically correct."

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Everyone is special!!!!!

What this woman is saying in no way resembles actual progressive thinking and I'd say it's the opposite of "politically correct."

So let me ask you this?

What ya gonna do?

Be a racist and hate women by sticking up for the gay man? OR Hate gay people because you choose to stick up for a Black Woman?

Kinda sucks when you get caught in the nonsense of political correctness doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Where does she say white gays are appropriating black woman culture, and does she cite examples?
I saw it mentioned on Cnn at McShart's of all places, though i was too busy pressing my hand into my face as i realized Lebron going back to Cleveland was the big story instead of...you know, that Middle East thing and that other thing in Palestine

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

black spaces like schools and neighborhoods,

Its the damndest thing but I could have sworn we got rid of those.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Dear theantediluvian,

You are right in criticizing the ideas Miss Mannie expressed, they are more than just racist, they're illogical. But, as she is only a college student, we should cut her some slack.

While it might be entertaining to watch a free for all between black women and gay white men (who would Black gay men cheer for?), I'd like to explore another of your thoughts on this subject:

Which was in response to this comment:

I have to go with Seeker1963 on this issue. Imagine if a politician would put on a "blackface" party in his home, limited to a few guests. Or, if an NBA owner said something privately, in his home, who secretly recorded it, and splashed it across newspapers. Or, if a politician used the non-sense word "macaca" to discover it was seen as racist to blacks, even though it was directed to an American from the country of India. Outside of scientists, who knew that macaca is the scientific name for the rhesus monkey? Or, if a school served fried chicken, watermelon, and greens on MLK day (even those foods he enjoyed).

No, theantediluvian, it seems very progressive thinking to me. The extreme fury which one feels when a slight can be, with only the most infinitesimally small justification, seen as racist, sexist, homophobic, or whatever else some who feels they are a victim can invent. Add to that the desire to put pressure on people to change their behavior because someone doesn't like it, sounds progressive to me. It certainly isn't conservative.

I wonder what she'll say if Black women who aren't Muslims start wearing the all-covering robe? Will they be appropriating someone else's culture as well? What about Black women wearing pant suits? Are they appropriating white male culture? The whole thing is a mess

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Be a racist and hate women by sticking up for the gay man? OR Hate gay people because you choose to stick up for a Black Woman?

Kinda sucks when you get caught in the nonsense of political correctness doesn't it?

Who says anyone has to hate anyone else??? I think just you. So it sounds like your problem not anyone else. You seem to have a problem with everyone but yourself and every post you make seems to reinforce that opinion. I'd say if there is some problem it starts with people like yourself who always looks for someone to blame for everything.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Everyone is special!!!!!

So let me ask you this?

What ya gonna do?

Do I seem caught up in some sort of dilemma? I went with option c, call her out on her BS. She's basically conflating several disparate issues to give the appearance of well reasoned social commentary but in reality she's only looking for some after the fact justification for her own hang ups and validation for her misguided views.

Well she's not getting it from me. Only the fringe on the left sees any sort of serious merit in this cultural appropriation s#. It's juvenile, stupid and counterproductive. It's similar in nature to the angst felt by members of any group who are upset when some aspect of the group culture is integrated into mainstream culture.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Everyone is special!!!!!

So let me ask you this?

What ya gonna do?

Do I seem caught up in some sort of dilemma? I went with option c, call her out on her BS. She's basically conflating several disparate issues to give the appearance of well reasoned social commentary but in reality she's only looking for some after the fact justification for her own hang ups and validation for her misguided views.

Well she's not getting it from me. Only the fringe on the left sees any sort of serious merit in this cultural appropriation s#. It's juvenile, stupid and counterproductive. It's similar in nature to the angst felt by members of any group who are upset when some aspect of the group culture is integrated into mainstream culture.

So in an indirect way your starting to see the dilemma how political correctness has a way of turning into an ugly monster?

I know you and I have had words in the past, but can't you see it? We talk about food! We get along! We talk about movies etc etc. we get along! But politics? We argue and even get conditioned to hate each other!

Can't you see it? Divide and Conquer? Do you think Nancy Pelosi and John McCain are concerned about us useless eaters when they wine and dine on our taxes while we struggle? NO! The only time we matter is six months before they depend on us idiots to re elect their traitorous asses!

I really think you are a good person, but what divides you and I is that you BELEIVE one party is good while one is bad. I HATE them BOTH! Why? Because of how they manipulate US to fight amongst ourselves over their worthless asses!
edit on 11-7-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Try giving a go at being a white guy with long dreadlocks and a black girlfriend in the deep South. I have experienced plenty of discrimination. Do I complain about it. No. Leave people to their prejudices. The ones who make bad judgement on others will eventually go the way of the dinosaurs. No need to get angry. There are plenty of good friends to be made.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Sigh. Sometimes people should sit back and think about how butthurt they sound when they write these op-eds. Any white person I have ever seen act overtly over the top black usually get's laughed at. A lot. If they want to prance around being gay AND ghetto, I'm all for it. I could use a good chuckle. Maybe they are just stealing FEMALE culture and black and white women do a lot of the same things. Watch a reality show. Hehe.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

No, theantediluvian, it seems very progressive thinking to me. The extreme fury which one feels when a slight can be, with only the most infinitesimally small justification, seen as racist, sexist, homophobic, or whatever else some who feels they are a victim can invent. Add to that the desire to put pressure on people to change their behavior because someone doesn't like it, sounds progressive to me. It certainly isn't conservative.

I respectfully disagree. Here you're forming a false dichotomy — if it's not conservative it must be progressive? If I was forced to put cultural appropriation in only one of two columns, those columns being progressivism and conservatism, I'd go with conservatism because of its resemblance to a fear of cultural dilution expressed predominantly by people on the right.

Sure, there's bound to be proponents of this twaddle who will attempt to hitch their wagons to something like the loss of Native American culture and modern day caricatural portrayal of native peoples but any comparison would be FAR from valid.

As for your characterization of mainstream progressive thinking, I could not disagree more. I can see where progressives can seem "pushy" to conservatives but flip side of that is that to progressives, conservatives generally appear to resist the inevitability of change out of irrational fear. Where you may see people being oversensitive, somebody else might see you as lacking empathy. Do you believe that all or most protestations against bigotry are without merit?

It seems to me that a lot of social issues boil down to visceral reactions to perceived disparities in privilege that give rise to contempt. If we put the op-ed and reactions to it in this context, we could come up with something like this:

The author views "cultural appropriation" as a benefit of "white privilege." She says as much when she says, "check your privilege." Maybe you view her entire op-ed as exercising a "black privilege." I don't believe that either is an example of an inequity of privilege.

I think you're both wrong!

edit on 2014-7-11 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Basically, blacks are finding out how much they've been used. Now that they've been destroyed culturally and as people by the left, the left has moved on to the next big victim class - the gays. Now the left will ride that horse until it's as dead as the blacks are now or until they decide the latinos give them more traction or both. And when that happens, you'll see butt hurt gays writing these op-eds trying to figure out where all the special treatment love has gone as they fall off the pedestal.

(P.S. - And, yes, I realize I said riding gays, my husband pointed it out. No, I am not ashamed.)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
"OH NO SHE DIDNNNT!"

*snap*

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

white people are not racially oppressed in the United States of America.

While I agree that white people are not racially oppressed in the US

I disagree with both of you.

Try to get a government contract in DC without having a DBE. What is DBE? Disadvantaged Business Entity. What qualifies you for that? Being black.........

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Only after minority groups realize how much they've been HAD by politicians and marketing groups is there ever going to be any progress regarding racism.

If we don't let this divisive bullsnip go we're all gonna end up looking like this.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

This is so stupid, it's, well, STUPID!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join