It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Yellowstone Road Closing Due to Heat

page: 1

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:41 PM
A certain press release was put out by the Yellowstone National Park Service that can be seen here:

Firehole Lake Drive Temporarily Closed

Firehole Lake Drive in Yellowstone National Park has been temporarily closed due to a damaged road surface.

Extreme heat from surrounding thermal areas has caused thick oil to bubble to the surface, damaging the blacktop and creating unsafe driving conditions on the popular, scenic road, located off the Grand Loop Road halfway between Old Faithful and Madison Junction in the park’s Lower Geyser Basin.

Well, this has of course caused the internet doomsayers to freak out and claim all the usual BS about it erupting, blah, blah, blah.

So just for the record, and to disperse the idiocy, I got in touch with one of my scientific contacts, that knows, and there is no concern. It turns out that this same exact thing, happened to the same exact road, back in 2002.

Basically as it was stated to me- you build roads on top of thermal areas at Yellowstone- and combine that with hot summer sun, and yeah- eventually you are going to have problems. And that's all it is.

I checked the temperature gauges at the park, and all appears normal. Seismicity has also been normal or below normal lately. So let's all just be sane little ATSers and tell the freaker outers to take a hike.

Thank you. The end.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:47 PM
The heat there hasn't been all that extreme, but I agree with you that this is likely normal activity. But it's likely all due to thermal activity. Asphalt doesn't melt in mid 80 degree heat.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 07:48 PM
Seems logical. S&F for rational thought. Reminds of the whole "the bison are leaving!" hype.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:05 PM
in all honesty, it gets SO hot in northern California in the summer inland, that us motorcyclists have a term for melted tar.
tar snakes.
they make riding quite squirrly if you happen upon one.
summer heat and geothermal activity could easily loosen up pavement there.
sounds cool though! i want to go see.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:10 PM
A news article I saw on it, said it was caused by a combination of thermal temps and hot summer sun
And yeah it's happened before.

It's already posted here yesterday
edit on 11-7-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:35 PM
a reply to: violet

You're right, violet

Thread closed

new topics

top topics